are youguys really comfortable with goodwin as our C? (1 Viewer)

So Goodwin was starting when Steck and PT started to produce the 100 yard games that season?
I thought he was starting in the early to middle part of the season, not the end of the season.

Also, Goodwin started 2 games, not 4. They were both wins, but that means Faine was starting when we won the other 5 games.

I dont' think Faine was worth the money that TB threw at him, but I don't think that Goodwin is a better player than Faine. He might be bigger and he might be stronger (all great if they were defensive lineman) but OL is mostly technique, not strenght and size.

Last edited:
Here's something that I noticed when Goodwin replaced Faine: our offense moved with a much quicker tempo. Faine slowed everything down last year once the O got to the line of scrimmage, taking his time to call out the blitz pickups.

With Faine, everything slowed down to a halt. It made a huge difference.

When Goodwin came in, we got back a feature of our offense that helped us put pressure on the defense -- we set up and came at you fast, with lots of pre-snap motion. The defense had very little time to key into what we were doing, and we kept them on their heels for entire drives.

Like the 06 offense. I don't know what happened to Faine to slow him down, but the difference between when he was in there and when Goodwin was in there was drastic.

So Goodwin was starting when Steck and PT started to produce the 100 yard games that season?
I thought he was starting in the early to middle part of the season, not the end of the season.

Reggie and Stecker got the majority of carries.Goodwin was the starter against the Niners, the Saints won, and had I believe 102 yards rushing. Before you say - c'mon it was the crummy Niners. Goodwin also started against the Jags who happen to have an excellent DL. The Saints had 103 yards rushing and won. There was no drop off at Center and Goodwin got much better run blocking push than the smaller Faine (Goodwin's 318 lb, Faine 291lb). I was openly calling for Goodwin to remain at Center even when Faine returned to help the running game. He is starting material.....

Also, Goodwin started 2 games, not 4. They were both wins, but that means Faine was starting when we won the other 5 games.

I dont' think Faine was worth the money that TB threw at him, but I don't think that Goodwin is a better player than Faine. He might be bigger and he might be stronger (all great if they were defensive lineman) but OL is mostly technique, not strenght and size.

Let's straigten this out. Goodwin started 2 games for us last year;

49'ers- Win- Reggie- 10 carries, 64 yards
Stecker- 12 carries, 35 yards
Thomas- 3 carries, 9 yards

Jags- Win- Reggie- 17 carries, 72 yards
Stecker- 6 carries, 24 yards
Thomas- 0 carries, 0 yards

I thought these numbers were interesting for everyone who thinks Reggie can't get it done running the ball. I was extremely impressed with the #'s from the Jax game, because that was tough running.

Overall, we ran for an average of 4.2 yards a carry with Goodwin......not sure what it was with Faine, but it's fairly obvious Reggie ran better behind Goodwin, for whatever reason.

I am content with Goodwin. I can not really be happy until I see him play more.
Were we really completely happy with him or were we trying our best to keep Faine, but couldn't compete with that ridiculously large amount the Sucs threw at him?
I guess we'll never know.

I mean, I like Goodwin and all, but OC is a very key position and we are relying on him after just two games. I highly enjoyed having our rushing attack as good as it was those two games, but Faine had 16 great games and 2 more postseason games in 2006 and our two headed rushing attack was second to none.

I'm probably 65 percent happy with JG, but if Steve Justice is there in the 3rd I would take him.

Those crummy niners have a D, as well as a great LB.

Faine didn't play well last season, he got slow. And since he never had the power to play the position he we ineffective.

I'm not sold on goodwin, but I was ready 4 a chance a C after this season

I thought these numbers were interesting for everyone who thinks Reggie can't get it done running the ball. I was extremely impressed with the #'s from the Jax game, because that was tough running.

Overall, we ran for an average of 4.2 yards a carry with Goodwin......not sure what it was with Faine, but it's fairly obvious Reggie ran better behind Goodwin, for whatever reason.

Plus, the o-line allowed only one sack in those two games.

As I said in a thread several weeks back:

Goodwin is unproven in the sense that he hasn't played a full 16 game season yet. But he did fine last year when Faine was out. We averaged 102.5 rushing yards and 36.0 points while allowing 1 sack in the 2 games he started.

I thought Goodwin outplayed Faine last year in the two games that he played. The offense was able to run more effectively, and the pressure up the middle on pass plays seemed to disappear in those 2 games as well. Goodwin seemed to be stronger at the point of attack. I am not sure about the line calls. I didn't see any problems with missed assignments in the two games Goody started. I am happy that we resigned Goodwin, and am glad we did not overpay to resign Faine. He earned the job, with his play last year, IMHO.

He was the starting center during our win streak to improve last year....Look at the Jacksonville game, he held his own vs their DT's

There was no drop off at Center and Goodwin got much better run blocking push than the smaller Faine (Goodwin's 318 lb, Faine 291lb)....

I agree with you there. There was not much of a drop off. When Goodwin was in, the team's rushing output was right not par with what it was when Faine was in there.
In week 6 and 7 (both wins) Faine was starting and we had 4.2 and a 4.3 yards per carry. In week 8 and 9 (both wins) Goodwin was starting and we had 4.3 and 4.1 yards per carry. Not much diffrence. The entire year the Saints averaged 3.7 ypc and that is considering several horrible games like the St. Louis game where we only ran the ball like 10 times. You cannot say Goodwin is better than Faine because the only times you saw Goodwin was when we won. It was a given last year that when this team won, they played extremely well, the entire team.

I was about to point out that Reggie was productive in those games, but you pointed that out.....we will be fine with Goodwin.

Goodwin is a much more physically dominant than Faine. He's several inches taller and a solid 30 lbs. I think that with an entire offseason giving snaps to the first team, he'll be able to call protections well enough to protect Brees. Faine could call perfect protections but that doesn't mean crap when Haynesworth can just pick him up and drive him right into the QB.

I was about to point out that Reggie was productive in those games, but you pointed that out.....we will be fine with Goodwin.

Actually, RB most productive game was against Seattle (a win and Faine started). Steckers most productive games had Faine starting. PT most productive games had Faine starting.

What I am trying to say is there is no stats that back up that Goodwin a such a better run blocker than Faine. There was a reason that Faine was starting over Goodwin even after the injury. I would be really curious on how they graded out over the season. I will be money that Faine graded out much higher.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom