Areas of competition on defense (1 Viewer)

Good analysis Dan. It's hard to believe that we were statistically the worst defense in NFL history in 2012. We have some pieces but it will be up to Rob Ryan to get those guys in place to make plays. Luckily, Rob Ryan's defense is much more like GW than Spag and the players should respond.

Who had the "IT" factor? Based on what? 1 INT? Because that as probably the only positive play he made.

To be fair, we had been waiting to see one of these mythical "interceptions" for a few years, and White just happened to be the defensive back who pulled it in. When Patrick Robinson actually timed his leap right, and caught one as well this season, I had visions of Deion Sanders' second coming. I'd say the desperation level for a defensive back WITH ball skills has gotten out of hand.

Nope when Greer was hurt rob was still the number one he followed the best WR around the games,

I think you wrote that wrong. Otherwise, you're agreeing with me.

I'm saying Greer got hurt, PRob became the #1. Greer was never back to full health all season so they kept PRob shadowing the #1 receivers.

It's hard to run with a sports hernia.

IQ ran a 4.47 at his pro day. MJ ran a 4.51 at the combine and a 4.55 at his pro day. BTW, Corey ran a 4.55 at the combine and a 4.39 at his pro day, P Rob ran a 4.46, and Jabari ran a 4.5 at the combine and a low of 4.41 at his pro day.

(From NFLDRAFTSCOUT)

But its more than straight line speed of course. Most good corners have lotsa quickness, are fluid, and have the "good swivel hips" that allow them to change direction while maintaining their speed. Bigger CBs sometimes struggle here.

One way to compensate is to play zone, where the CB can use his size, and have a smaller area to cover, as he'll have help over the top. Another way is to move to safety. MJ, CW and IQ all played CB in college, but were all projected to play safety in the NFL.

But perhaps because of his good size and speed, Spags saw "zone CB" in Corey.

Meanwhile, it seems RR will use man and some zone in his coverages. His quote about Terrence Newman in '11:

" If they’re man, he can go down there and press him. Sometimes he can go down there and press them and we’ll play [cover] 2 behind him."

With a new coach and system, who's gonna play where is anybodys guess. But IMO, it'll all start with what we do with Harp.

Just out of curiousity, was that 4.39 that White ran "official"? Because a 4.55 sounds more like what I saw on the field... and a stiff 4.55.

I think he's a guy who needs to be playing downhill... which fits when you talk about him being a zone corner. But you have a physical guy who plays downhill decently... decent instincts with the play in front of him... put him at safety. That's my opinion.

In comparing him and Jenkins, I think if you put the two of them side-by-side in one-on-one coverage drills, you will see a huge technical disparity between the two. Jenkins is a good example of a big corner who is cut high and has a long stride that affects him... but his is actually very technically sound. I would be interested to see him playing CB now that he's adjusted to the speed of the game. I honestly think he could beat out Patrick Robinson...

I checked out some plays and White looked very confused, in over your head doesn't do it justice. Athletic potential is so hard to evaluate when the guy was just a bottle of uncertainty, but I do think he is athletic you don't project a safety to play corner if he is lacking that factor.

I agree that he looked confused at points. But man-man coverage is athleticism and technique. He. Always. Got. Beat. Maybe he really dedicates the offseason to becoming a technically sound beast. But from just about every situation I saw him in last season, he did not look capable.

I hope I'm wrong

I saw a lot of potential in White last year and I'm hoping the coaching / scheme change will get him in the right direction.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom