Argument Against The Prevent Defense (1 Viewer)

bobad

Son of Adam
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I dislike the prevent. It's a gift to the opposition they don't deserve.

LSSpam

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Yeah, I still can't believe an aggressive coordinator like Williams would use it.

Williams demonstrated the proper use of it with outstanding results. If he uses it against Tom Brady in a tight game, it'll be questionable, but the execution of his 2-way-deep defense and the results in the Detroit and Philly games against Stafford and Kolb are flat-out indisputable.

NPs6724

Two Dat, Here We Come!
Reaction score
You shouldn't use a prevent defense in a close game. But if you're up by 2-3 scores, it's probably the best defense because it requires a team to take the underneath stuff and march downfield. If you bring pressure and fail, a play like Desean Jackson's TD could occur much easier (not to say that's why Jackson scored, just using the result as an example). With a big lead, you just don't want to give up a quick, cheap score.

CantonLegend

Best Looking
Reaction score
the prevent is good for 2 things.....letting the other team drive down the field.....and letting the other team get back in the game

if you want to win, use the same defense that worked the rest of the game

bobad

Son of Adam
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
the prevent is good for 2 things.....letting the other team drive down the field.....and letting the other team get back in the game

Agree, but a smart coordinator can disguise the prevent or unexpectedly switch to normal defense.

blasian

They're blue!
Reaction score

Prevent seemed to have worked for us so far.

retthib

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Yeah, I still can't believe an aggressive coordinator like Williams would use it.

He wont use it in a 21-14 4th quarter game. Using it when we are up by 3 TDs allows the opposing O to take time off the clock and if they do score, its takes a while, since we are preventing the big play.

But we're coming up w/ TOs in the prevent, so thats even better.

NPs6724

Two Dat, Here We Come!
Reaction score
It works with a 3-score lead, it fails with a 1-score lead. Philly marched downfield on us a few times and they scored a TD, threw an INT (that was returned for a TD), and failed on a 4th down.

slowmotion

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Atlanta. GA originally from Destrehan, LA
You shouldn't use a prevent defense in a close game. But if you're up by 2-3 scores, it's probably the best defense because it requires a team to take the underneath stuff and march downfield. If you bring pressure and fail, a play like Desean Jackson's TD could occur much easier (not to say that's why Jackson scored, just using the result as an example). With a big lead, you just don't want to give up a quick, cheap score.

I agree. Its good when you have these huge point leads. In addition, it saves us from showing off other packages in our playbook, keeping the next team we play a little more in the dark.

The only time I didn't like using the prevent was that Philly drive right before the half. But, I am fine with using it when we were leading so much.

RCBL

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
Depends on the situation. Up by 3 with 2 minutes to play? Probably a bad idea, you're likely ceding the tying points. Up by 10 with 10 minutes to play? Probably a bad idea. Up by 3 scores with a quarter to play? Use the prevent.

Argument for the prevent defense:

Eagles yardage in the 4th quarter: 150+ yards
Points for the Eagles O in the 4th quarter: 0
Points for the Saints D in the 4th quarter: 7
Amount of time the Eagles held the ball in the 4th quarter: almost 10 minutes

Philly was able to pad their offensive stats in the 4th quarter last week, but they ended up even further behind on the scoreboard, and they killed 10 minutes of clock for us. That's textbook prevent defense, and used in the right situation.

v3kt0r

Count de Monet
Reaction score
I dont like it because it add yards against our D.

Makes us look bad in the stats. :)

Nick26

Veteran
Reaction score
I understand what your saying about the stats but I'd rather them run up the stats and not score.

OP
Wraith

Wraith

Finally Made It!
Reaction score
My point in posting the article wasn't to question whther it was a bad idea for Willaims to use it in the past 2 games. It's a matter of too many times this defense is used at the wrong time. All of us can go back and think of several games where the Prevent was used only to allow the losing team to get right back in the game.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom