Argument Against The Prevent Defense (1 Viewer)

My point in posting the article wasn't to question whther it was a bad idea for Willaims to use it in the past 2 games. It's a matter of too many times this defense is used at the wrong time. All of us can go back and think of several games where the Prevent was used only to allow the losing team to get right back in the game.

Last edited:
My point in porting the article wasn't to question whther it was a bad idea for Willaims to use it in the past 2 games. It's a matter of too many times this defense is used at the wrong time. All of us can go back and think of several games where the Prevent was used only to allow the losing team to get right back in the game.

Yeah, teams use the prevent on Brees right before halftime ALL THE TIME and somehow we magically score with ease.

As long as we dont blow the game I'm fine with it. I can remember when Mora was here we lost several games(every game to the 49ers) because of the prevent. But as long as we are up by 20 I dont have a problem with it.

As long as we dont blow the game I'm fine with it. I can remember when Mora was here we lost several games(every game to the 49ers) because of the prevent. But as long as we are up by 20 I dont have a problem with it.

:plus-un2:0000000000000000000000000

Man that was the worst...we'd be up by like 2 or 3 and go into prevent mode only to watch the team march down the field and score in the waning seconds to win the game...

But in the last two games, Williams has instituted an effective use of the prevent...and I can assure you that he is chewing some *** on the DL for not getting more pressure on the QB in these obvious passing situations!!!

Every fan hates the prevent and I get why, but plenty of much smarter coaches still employ it in certain situations.

Williams has used it at the right times. You can't argue with his results and the fact that so many coaches believe it means there is some merit to it.

dang, why did you have to bring that up.. was almost over that nonsense..
we probably put the nail in the coffin for montana to make the HOF because of that prevent.. we get up in the 4th, what they do.. dink and dunk all the way to the endzone.. TD, we don't have time to score again.

I think they are using it appropriately. As previous posters have stated before, when you are up by a bunch and you are trying to waist time, prevent defense is the way to go. Sure you give up many yards underneath, but you eat up clock and 'prevent' the score. Since I doubt many other teams can score over 30 points regularly, we will most likely be seeing alot of this defense in the future.

I dont like it because it add yards against our D.

Makes us look bad in the stats. :)

Things that matter in determining who goes to the playoffs:
- Win-Loss record

Things that do not matter in determining who goes to the playoffs:
- Defensive stats

Williams demonstrated the proper use of it with outstanding results. If he uses it against Tom Brady in a tight game, it'll be questionable, but the execution of his 2-way-deep defense and the results in the Detroit and Philly games against Stafford and Kolb are flat-out indisputable.
Exactly. I was going to make a big long thread defending the prevent (in the way we used it week one and two) because I've been seeing negative remarks about it all week.

Here's my thing about the prevent; it worked EXACTLY how it was supposed to. Imagine it we would have kept up pressure the whole game? one mistake, such as a blown coverage (like what harper did, for example) and thats a 70 yard bomb to one of the eagles speedy receivers. Instead of being up 3 scores, we're only up 2 and that only took them a minute to accomplish.

The thing I like about it is the sheer amount of time it shreds off the clock. There was 10 minutes left in the eagles game but it took them 4+ minutes of actual game time to get the ball with in scoring range. As they approached the redzone, our D tighnted up a little bit and BAM! Sharper with a pick 6.

All those complaining about the prevent defense are silly. We executed the prevent exactly how a proffesional football team should execute. If you think the saints are going to be running prevent defense with 10minutes left in the 4th q when the game is a shootout and not a blowout, you must not have much confidence in the genius of our coaching staff.

We have used the prevent correctly. Last week, Miami used their normal D correctly. Close game, up by 3 with a few minutes left and they blitzed peyton. Sure he threw a touchdown, but they got the ball back with 3+ minutes and a timeout. Now, they ran their 2 minute offense really poorly, but had they sat back in prevent while the colts had the ball, Manning just eats up all the clock and then throws a TD to win.

Basically, if you are up by 8pts or fewer late in the game, you need to be in your regular D. If they score to tie/take the lead, at least give your offense enough time to do some work.

The prevent has it's uses, it's not something I like to see but I do understand it's merits.

the prevent D had NOTHING to do with the touchdown. harper blew his assignment and bit underneath...DONE.

williams used the prevent in textbook fashion.

another thing to consider. they HAVE to throw to get back in the game, each completion keeps the clock running...you are allowing them to keep chewing up clock and burning TO's.

when the field gets smaller, the defense gets back to a more standard D and a "safe" red zone defense if they do get into scoring position.

we sent some people at kolb at the end, though, if remember.

williams is smart and peyton is smart. this isn't the ditka era where we are up by 3 points with 6 minutes in the game and play a prevent that looks like we are ready for a kick off return.

the prevent D had NOTHING to do with the touchdown. harper blew his assignment and bit underneath...DONE.

williams used the prevent in textbook fashion.

another thing to consider. they HAVE to throw to get back in the game, each completion keeps the clock running...you are allowing them to keep chewing up clock and burning TO's.

when the field gets smaller, the defense gets back to a more standard D and a "safe" red zone defense if they do get into scoring position.

we sent some people at kolb at the end, though, if remember.

williams is smart and peyton is smart. this isn't the ditka era where we are up by 3 points with 6 minutes in the game and play a prevent that looks like we are ready for a kick off return.
im glad you pointed that out.....because when you play the prevent, the field WILL GET SMALLER......the other team will end up in scoring position and even tho the defense may transition back into a more standard formation, it doesnt mean they will be able to stop a team that is confident after driving down the field.....the reason its called the redzone is because its the easiest place on the field to score....

by playing prevent you are allowing them to move out of the difficult areas to score and into scoring position

i see nothing wrong with dropping a safety deep but dropping 2 or 3 back deep and leaving everything open underneath is terrible play calling and lets the team right back in the game

another thing is that everybody keeps saying its ok to run it when we are winning by more than a TD...but really, if the game is out of hand, it really doesnt matter what defense we put on the field....thats not a valid argument for the prevent, thats a valid argument for every defense in the book

i see nothing wrong with dropping a safety deep but dropping 2 or 3 back deep and leaving everything open underneath is terrible play calling and lets the team right back in the game

Again. We have easy to examine and verify evidence. The Eagles and Lions game. Greg Williams disagrees with you and the results overwhelmingly back him up.

CantonLegend said:
another thing is that everybody keeps saying its ok to run it when we are winning by more than a TD...but really, if the game is out of hand, it really doesnt matter what defense we put on the field....thats not a valid argument for the prevent, thats a valid argument for every defense in the book

The idea is to force the opposing team to take time off the clock to get into scoring position. The Eagles took 4:18 off the clock in the 4th quarter for zero points in a single drive (12 plays). The Eagles played "ball-control" offense for us.

And the "redzone" isn't called that because it's easy. The easiest place to play defense is the redzone. Your zones tighten up and you're more free to blitz and force a turnover on downs or a turnover.....which is precisely what happened.

It's a tool and like any tool there is a right time and a wrong time to use it. To say we should never use it is to say that we should throw one of our tools away. A smart coordinator uses all his tools and uses them in the right situations. A dumb coordinator looks at his tools and says, "That one's useless...I think I'll throw it away."

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom