Arizona Cardinals Allowing Jordan Hicks to Seek a Trade (Saints Interest?) (1 Viewer)

So are the Saints interested? Or is the OP asking ‘should’ the Saints be interested?

Until they can get a long term deals in place with Latt, Ram, and Williams, they're really not able to do much of anything right now. The Saints have $2.2m cap space available, Hicks is $5.9m.
Any team that trades for him would only be responsible for $2M at lowest and $3M at highest on cap hit. His salary is $2M and he has a per game roster bonus worth up to another million if he is active for all 17 games. The $5.9M you are stating is the Cardinals hit this year is due to the signing bonus they gave him that stays with them.

We've been generally superb at drafting during the Payton years except for a short stretch in the middle. I would not do anything stupid to "win now" given our uncertain situation at QB. I'd be a buyer, not a seller of draft picks this off season.

We have not even been mediocre at drafting LBs though and that is since Swilling. LB is one place I don’t mind if they prefer FAs. In all likelihood we would not get a better player with a pick.

The Saints should be interested, but......with Pete Werner, Chase Hansen, Zach Baun, and Kaden Ellis on the roster. I serious doubt they would pursue Hicks as his presence alone would null and void the Werner and Baun picks. I would feel alot better about the season if we traded for Hicks and drafted a WR in the 2nd round.

The Saints should be interested, but......with Pete Werner, Chase Hansen, Zach Baun, and Kaden Ellis on the roster. I serious doubt they would pursue Hicks as his presence alone would null and void the Werner and Baun picks. I would feel alot better about the season if we traded for Hicks and drafted a WR in the 2nd round.
Hansen and Ellis are easily upgradable.

The only way we don't go after Hicks is if we have deal with Kwon. Even then, Davis, Hicks, Alexander would be nice.

I'd certainly feel better about everything we lost on defense.

I don’t think there is any chance you wait for a player with that kind of injury. I’m not saying we won’t bring him back and I would absolutely like to see him suiting up for us again. But you have to go on as if he doesn’t exhaust until he can pass a physical.

There are no quick fixes in rebuilding a roster outside of drafting well, so every time a player comes available it does not mean the Saints should mortgage their future (draft picks) on a player because a Team wants to move on from him and the Saints have supposed "holes" on the roster (according to fans).

This again does not mean the Saints aren't looking at acquiring players because they of course are but I don't think they are going to give away draft picks to fill these voids and are still shopping in the bargain bin to fill holes at DT, CB and possibly LB.

You have a great point here, you really do! I agree whole heartedly

But

If the Saints were to aquire Jordan Hicks with his proven talent and production, on top of his cheap contract. It absolutely would not be mortgaging the future.

This is what you call a low risk/HIGH REWARD signing. With the draft capital the Saints have next year, combined with his talent, age, and contract. They absolutely should really be considering this trade.

I expect him to have a lot of interest, so it's understandable if the Saints aren't able to aquire him, but I can't imagine it will be bc they didn't try. At least I hope not

None of the four rostered LB's you mentioned have even started an NFL game. Why not bring in a proven vet?

You have a great point here, you really do! I agree whole heartedly

But

If the Saints were to aquire Jordan Hicks with his proven talent and production, on top of his cheap contract. It absolutely would not be mortgaging the future.

This is what you call a low risk/HIGH REWARD signing. With the draft capital the Saints have next year, combined with his talent, age, and contract. They absolutely should really be considering this trade.

I expect him to have a lot of interest, so it's understandable if the Saints aren't able to aquire him, but I can't imagine it will be bc they didn't try. At least I hope not

Also if he walks after young guys develop
And his contract expires, when he signs elsewhere, we could get a nice conditional draft pick

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom