Armstead and KV!!! (1 Viewer)

It is true there were not many worse plays than the 75 yard TD.

From an individual standpoint, but I'm sure you knew that.

I would understand your gripe if he was unblocked, like Byrd, but he wasn't. This just seems to be complaining for the sake of complaining.

From an individual standpoint, but I'm sure you knew that.

I would understand your gripe if he was unblocked, like Byrd, but he wasn't. This just seems to be complaining for the sake of complaining.

Byrd is terrible (as I said). I think Vaccaro is OK but he's just very hot and cold.

On this play, he got blocked by a WR 15 yards from the LOS on an inside run. You can argue it was a hold because his hand got oustide the pads for a split second but he basically just stood in front of KV who had stopped moving forward.... and that's not gonna get called as holding very often... not a good play, and a key moment.

Not all his fault (Oneyemata, Jenkins, Laurinitis all got stood up, etc.) and he at least plays with energy. But he's inconsistent IMO

Byrd is terrible.

Here is the link - KV gets knocked down by WR Seth Roberts and Byrd takes a bad angle.

Can't-Miss Play: Richard breaks free for 75-yard TD

Not trying to hate on KV, I like his energy, but this was a backbreaking play and he got washed out by a WR just handfighting him

While it would have been nice for KV to make the play yesterday....like he did so many. I saw more than just him get washed out by a WR that caused that big run.

I saw John Jenkins..all 350lbs of him get Single Blocked 4yds off the ball.

I saw Osemele hold Craig Robertson and eventually tackle him to the ground

I saw a CB in Crawley who was slow to converge on the ball(his tackling has been garbage since preseason)as though he was waiting for Devante Harris to make the tackle

I saw Laurinitis unable to get off a block (which was blamed on his arm injury last year) to even make an attempt at a tackle.

In fact I saw players ease up/slow down when there was a short pile b4 he broke Free.

In fact.......fudge. Looking at it from the 2nd angle. The play came free when John Jenkins made an attempt to close the wrong gap. He jumped to his left and then the hole opened up to the back left. You would think he would close the gap on the right knowing that the LB behind him was closer to the gap on his left side.

Anyway i said that to say........trying to find fault in Vaccaro for not making that tackle is meh. Like 5 other things went wrong b4 he even needed to make the tackle. Malcolm Jenkins used to here the same complaints...why didn't he make this tackle/that tackle and it was always......someone should have made the tackle b4 him answer that fell on deaf ears.

It applies here but the biggest fail/culprit appears to be Jenkins.

Took the screen shot. The Gap eventually went to the right of Jenkins. In this picture he was still in good position.

1 Second later as the back pauses in that gap....Jenkins attempts to cover the gap to his left...the moment he does the RB jumps clenaly into that big gap thats already there in the screenshot but got even wider when Jenkins tried to read the play to his left instead of staying in his gap until the back picked a hole..then shedding. Just watch the replay and you'll see it was that tiny mishap by Jenkins that opened it up.

That guy is super MEH and how PFF keeps rating him so highly is beyond me.

edit : I added the 2nd screenshot after he jumped to close the lane to his left..and you can see its his momentum that took him there based on the position and angle of his body. He took himself clean out of the play by picking the wrong hole and then it opened up a gaping gap that was already huge initially but got wider once he made that move.

Just terrible.

You can even see where Onyemata waited until he got past him to spin around and if Jenkins had stayed in his gap the RB would have stayed in that gap and Onyemata might have made the tackle or at least slowed him down as there was more resistance to the Strong side of the formation than the weakside and yet Jenkins gave up the weakside.

Attachments

• Jenkins Fail.jpg
    Jenkins Fail.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 11
  • Jenkins Fail2.jpg
    Jenkins Fail2.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 7
There was a holding on Robertson - I b*tched about that on the play.

The offense made 3 tackles on that play. Krueger, Robertson and Vaccaro.

While it would have been nice for KV to make the play yesterday....like he did so many. I saw more than just him get washed out by a WR that caused that big run.

I saw John Jenkins..all 350lbs of him get Single Blocked 4yds off the ball.

I saw Osemele hold Craig Robertson and eventually tackle him to the ground

I saw a CB in Crawley who was slow to converge on the ball(his tackling has been garbage since preseason)as though he was waiting for Devante Harris to make the tackle

I saw Laurinitis unable to get off a block (which was blamed on his arm injury last year) to even make an attempt at a tackle.

In fact I saw players ease up/slow down when there was a short pile b4 he broke Free.

In fact.......fudge. Looking at it from the 2nd angle. The play came free when John Jenkins made an attempt to close the wrong gap. He jumped to his left and then the hole opened up to the back left. You would think he would close the gap on the right knowing that the LB behind him was closer to the gap on his left side.

Anyway i said that to say........trying to find fault in Vaccaro for not making that tackle is meh. Like 5 other things went wrong b4 he even needed to make the tackle. Malcolm Jenkins used to here the same complaints...why didn't he make this tackle/that tackle and it was always......someone should have made the tackle b4 him answer that fell on deaf ears.

It applies here but the biggest fail/culprit appears to be Jenkins.

I called out Jenkins, Onyemata and Laurinitis in the post just above yours - I agree.

All I'm saying is KV runs hot and cold - the play before this he made a great play along the sideline - looked super athletic and provided deep help - we almost never get that kind of play from our S.

But then this... again, not all his fault, but if he is going to make the "leap" he needs to be bring it every play. This was not a good play for him IMO

I called out Jenkins, Onyemata and Laurinitis in the post just above yours - I agree.

All I'm saying is KV runs hot and cold - the play before this he made a great play along the sideline - looked super athletic and provided deep help - we almost never get that kind of play from our S.

But then this... again, not all his fault, but if he is going to make the "leap" he needs to be bring it every play. This was not a good play for him IMO

I feel you. The scouting site I used actually pegged Vaccaro being hot/cold as a college player. They couldn't determine if it was because he would get sidetracked/ loose focus from one game to another or if he'd been gameplanned against but they could see spots in his data where he'd have 2 or 3 games with 6 or 7 tackles then he'd have a game where he'd only get 2. And it was pretty consistent.

So either he's beign used differently from game to game or he loses focus from game to game/snap to snap on occasion and isn't dialed in 24/7 but not really sure it applies here.

If his angle/momentum was going one way and the RB cut against the grain well all the WR has to do is keep pushing him that direction and its going to look bad on his part.

Good worthy point though.

This has nothing to do with him making a leap. I can show you hundreds of videos of the best safties in football getting blocked out of a run play (let alone held). If Byrd doesn't take a terrible angle, we're not talking about this. If Crawley fills a gap instead of dancing around on the backside, we're not talking about this. If Robertson isn't held, we're not talking about this.

Nothing in this play is keeping Vacarro from making a leap or being better than ok. I'm fairly certain this is the first time I've ever seen a safety referred to as ok because he got blocked.

I really didn't think that was Byrd's fault, you can say it's not the best angle ever, but he's not the reason that went for 77. The pancake block threw everyone off guard. Byrd Crawley, and KV. If KV puts up any resistance then Byrd gets there to clean it up. The TD happened because that WR threw the greatest block of all time lol. It just looks worse for Byrd because he dove. KV is a stud though and I doubt that ever happends to him again.

So yea, that was a screwup by everyone.

Need to just play von bell at fs, harper at ss and kv at linebacker.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom