Saints Armstead Injury article .. might clear up some board speculation (1 Viewer)

rodgepodge9

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Sticky Post
Time is no longer on Saints’ LT Terron Armstead’s side. ‘If I can play, I’m playing’

By Luke Johnson, NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune

With the biggest game of the New Orleans Saints’ season looming, there was a welcome sight on the practice field Wednesday (Jan. 9).

Occupying his usual spot at the back of the offensive linemen’s stretch line was No. 72, high fiving teammates as they jogged past. Left tackle Terron Armstead was back with his teammates.

Now all that remains to be seen is if he will be out there Sunday (Jan. 13) afternoon against the Philadelphia Eagles and their fierce pass rush.

“That’s what I’m working toward, that’s the goal, that’s been the goal, trying to get to feeling as best as I possibly can to go out and do my job,” Armstead said. “If I can do that, if I feel like I can function and produce, I’ll play for sure.”

Continue reading ...

Last edited by a moderator:

sfbaysaint

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Has it been determined that he has a tear?

If so, I think it comes down to pain management and strength. If he loses strength but can endure the pain, he’s not helping. If he’s got strength but cannot endure the pain, he’s not helping.

If it’s only a strain, he should be okay with a sling.
I've read pectoral injury.. out for 3-4 weeks, and that was in Nov. If it's a pectoral tear then it is not good.

K.B.

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Really wish he was healthy for this playoff run. I just don't think he will be playing this weekend. Sucks cuz this offense runs very well with him in the line up. I hope at least Bushrod is a go on Sunday.

Bill

Still Leaking Gold
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Really wish he was healthy for this playoff run. I just don't think he will be playing this weekend. Sucks cuz this offense runs very well with him in the line up. I hope at least Bushrod is a go on Sunday.
Doug Mouton of WWL TV Sports said that Bushrod will "likely" be ready to play, but that Armstead will be "less than 50/50 that he can go". Then he mentioned that if Bushrod was not able to be effective at LT, Payton may have to "shuffle the offensive line". Since he did not reference a source for his statements, I got the feeling that this was a common belief or consensus among the reporters. Watching the short interview they had with Armstead in the locker room I can personally say that he didn't exude a lot of confidence that he could play to a level that he could be effective at the LT position. And that's really what bummed me out. :meh-1:

WCoastSaintsFan

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
I think you guys are reading into things far too much. All of the reports out there are just expanding on the short interview he gave at his locker. The interview was him parsing words and being non committal. If he were to give reporters any real information, he’d have a neck injury as well after Sean Payton got done with him.

This is how things have always worked when it comes to injuries on this team. The only thing that should give you hope is that neither Left Tackle has been put on IR. Anything else coming from the mouths of anyone on the Saints should be taken with a grain of salt.

WhoGeaux

Rookie
Reaction score
I'd be very surprised if Armstead doesn't play. His roster spot is too valuable at this point for it not to be used on an active commodity. The issue he dealt with in the Steelers game was discomfort associated with really pushing that range of motion in a couple of instances. It'll be 3 weeks since that game which has consisted of additional non-stop rehab. They'll make additional adjustments to his gear as well to help further control the extension of that arm/pec.

Infoman

Lawd Have Mercy!
Reaction score
Armstead will start and play... that was never a question IMO.... the question is... how long, and can he be effective when he does play?

The guy has the heart of a warrior... but it's not about his heart at this point... it's the rest of his body we can't count on.

sfidc3

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
This article does nothing to clear up anything BTW....we all know there is a possibility he will play, we all now it is uncertain how effective he will play if he does play...

TenTwo

Are you touched in the head or something?
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
My wish - the whole offensive line has been fainting injury so they can get legally prescribed steroids injected prior to the playoffs.

Bill

Still Leaking Gold
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
So do you go with Armstead at maybe 60-70% or Bushrod at 90%?
My guess is that you start with a '90% Bushrod'. If he is getting beat like a rented mule, he either needs some blocking help or the coach may have to see what Armstead can do. But that may be a gametime decision based on what TA is able to do in pregame warmups.
There's no solid answer to your question right now.

Slaw

VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The biggest quote for me is that he "feels a lot better". Great news, because he wasn't quite ready vs the Steelers. He might just be able to play the full game. I hope.

gboudx

Clicks past Page 1 of Google searches
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Has it been determined that he has a tear?

If so, I think it comes down to pain management and strength. If he loses strength but can endure the pain, he’s not helping. If he’s got strength but cannot endure the pain, he’s not helping.

If it’s only a strain, he should be okay with a sling.
A strain is also a soft tissue tear. The muscle is stretched too far and a tear happens. It's about grade of the strain/tear.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Saints Headlines (The Advocate)

Headlines

Top Bottom