Armstead is out Monday night (2 Viewers)

The Saints best chance to get out of this contract is this coming offseason. He counts almost 11 million against the cap in 2019 and 2020. His 2019 salary would only be 300k less than Brees. That's a lot of money for a guy that's about to miss his 21st game in the past 3 seasons.

He's only 27 and is a top 5, maybe top 3 LT when healthy. This will be a tough decision for Loomis and Payton.

I wouldn’t be opposed to trading him. We could get good value back in picks.

2013 played in 6
2014 played in 14
2015 played in 13
2016 played in 7
2017 played in 10
2018 has played in 9 of 13

So no. He hasn't.

Those are not good numbers.

I love it when the Saints are proactive and sign players they know they are going to keep well before a contract expires. A player that may get $10 million per year if he were a free agent today gets a 5 year extension for 40 million (8 million average, but 2 years before a rookie contract expires and with a nice amount of guaranteed jack) is a lot cheaper than waiting for that rookie deal to expire, maybe having to use franchise tag, then having to pay $15 million a year by the time you do negotiate because over those two years bottom feeder clubs with lots of space overpaid FA's and drastically rose the bar.

That said, the last two players the Saints took a proactive approach with were Armstead and Morestead. I didn't understand the rush to re-sign our punter well before his contract was set to expire; if you have to franchise a punter it's not gonna hurt you. I think they gave him too much money before it was necessary. I'd never be proactive with a punter or kicker. With Armstead, they didn't get any discount for extending him early. They gave him an enormous contract that made little sense when your greatest ability is availability.

2009 - Starting LT replaced by Bushrod. Saints win superbowl.

2018 - Starting LT replaced by Bushrod. Saints win superbowl?

2009- Saints lose to Cowboys, Bucs, and Panthers (when resting starters week 17). Saints win Superbowl.

2018 - Saints lose to Cowboys, Bucs...lose to Panthers when resting starters week 17??? Saints win Superbowl???

:)

If we had a 1.5 game lead (.5 = tie breaker value) lead on the 1st seed, I could buy in to giving him extra time. But, with a slim lead (we hold the tiebreaker only) over the Rams, I'm thinking that if he could play, he would. I'm not saying there has been a setback, I'm not saying there hasn't been one either...but I do think if he was was ready, he would play. If securing the #1 seed really matters, it doesn't matter who you are playing, it's an important game.

If we had a 1.5 game lead (.5 = tie breaker value) lead on the 1st seed, I could buy in to giving him extra time. But, with a slim lead (we hold the tiebreaker only) over the Rams, I'm thinking that if he could play, he would. I'm not saying there has been a setback, I'm not saying there hasn't been one either...but I do think if he was was ready, he would play. If securing the #1 seed really matters, it doesn't matter who you are playing, it's an important game.
Panthers dont have a pass rush so it doesnt really matter if he plays or not

We cant afford to drop Armstead. He will be healthy for the playoffd and thats what matters. We should let him play out his contract and then move on. That should cover Brees's remaining years.

2009- Saints lose to Cowboys, Bucs, and Panthers (when resting starters week 17). Saints win Superbowl.

2018 - Saints lose to Cowboys, Bucs...lose to Panthers when resting starters week 17??? Saints win Superbowl???

:)
only difference in 2009, we weren't battling another NFC team , with the same record for homefield through out

We cant afford to drop Armstead. He will be healthy for the playoffd and thats what matters. We should let him play out his contract and then move on. That should cover Brees's remaining years.
And you know this how?

This and this.

Hoping so. All I’ve hoped since the injury and reading that certain sources deemed it to be a tricky injury and cloudy on the recovery time.

If we can just get him healthy for the playoffs I'll be happy. It is dicey each week, but Payton has schemed to get Bushrod some help and it is overall working. It is most important for Armstead to be as healthy as possible and ready to play by the Divisional Round, assuming we get that bye that I believe we are going to get.

It is always...”if we can just get him healthy”.

If he EVER played an entire season it would be a miracle. Can’t be counted on. Need to move on from him. Whenever he does play he is one of the best there is. He is just too much to deal with. Find his successor and move on. We just need to bite the bullet the remainder of this year.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom