Army, Navy, Air Force Times: Rummy Must Go (1 Viewer)

Oh, yes. The Military Times chain was extremely critical of decisions made about Bosnia and Somolia during the 90s, Panama in the 80s and the Iran Hostage Crisis.

In my military classrooms, in courses dealing with younger soldiers, there was always some confused troop who thought anything in the Army Times was official policy and doctrine.

Advanced level classes knew better and would call down anybody quoting something from that publication.
They lost me when they ran an Oped and (seperate) two page article complaining that the military should take one's ethnicity (and other aspects of one's background) into consideration when making assignments.
The article featured a young black airman from NYC that was stationed at Offut AFB, NE. Not enough night life and people like him around you see.

Don't forget folks, controversy sells papers.

They no longer get my $1.50. (Or whatever they charge these days)

Oh, yes, the Military Times bunch was on board and in the vanguard with the PC police in the 90s. I well recall having their articles waved in my face.

Yes, indeed, that was when eliminating gender bias and enhancing ethnic and cultural diversity were deemed more important than learning to kill the enemy and survive in combat.

I'll get off my soapbox now.

The DoD is now calling out Gannett...using the words "inaccurate" and "misleading."

The Department of Defense
Response to Army Times Editorial
Nov. 5, 2006 – UPDATED

On Saturday, Nov. 4, the Army Times released an editorial titled, "Time for Rumsfeld to go." It is important to first note that the "military papers" that have run this editorial are not owned, managed, or controlled by the U.S. military. They are privately held newspapers forming part of the Arlington, Va.-based Gannett publishing chain.

The editorial included a number of inaccurate and misleading statements.

HERE ARE THE FACTS:

READ MORE

http://www.defenselink.mil/home/dodupdate/For-the-record/docs/2006-11-04a.html

Staphory,

I'm proud to announce that a picture of Jane Fonda was taped to the urinals at our Squadron. I can now say I.......you get the point.

Staphory,

I'm proud to announce that a picture of Jane Fonda was taped to the urinals at our Squadron. I can now say I.......you get the point.
Is the line clear?

The line is clear.

Fire!:smilielol:

The Magazines editorials are accurate. Most write-ins from people in the military called for Rummy and many more admin staff to go. Unfortunately, if an officer speaks out publicly, the administration will "stop a battle in Najaf" to weed that person out and end his career. The heavy-handedness started with Gen. Shinseki. The magazine speaks for many, if not most, officers in the military.

The Magazines editorials are accurate. Most write-ins from people in the military called for Rummy and many more admin staff to go. Unfortunately, if an officer speaks out publicly, the administration will "stop a battle in Najaf" to weed that person out and end his career. The heavy-handedness started with Gen. Shinseki. The magazine speaks for many, if not most, officers in the military.
Well...it's not as if there isn't a long history of the same from past administrations.

I agree. But, if you can be here on Active Duty to see the CPTs and LTs jumping ship, you would share the frustration (maybe it is the same in the Reserves). The Army had to hold two MAJ. boards last year to make up for the amount of resignations tendered. Though it helps me get promoted early...I do not have half of my battle-buddies at my side. Most guys see the Gen-COL and LTCs get treated like crap and wonder why stay in if that is the future. They can only speak-out to each other though...or prepare for the guillotine.

I wouldn't put much stock in anything published in any Military Times publication.
They do thier very best to influence opinions, not just simply report military related news.

Not really tracking the attacks here. The Army Times (which the Air Force Times basically mirrors every month), keeps us well-informed on a myriad of things: Uniform changes, total unit deployments across the military, specific base/housing changes, DOD-Pentagon policy changes and when they take effect, pay scales, cut-off scores for promotions, fellow-soldier antics/achievements, congressional bills that will help/hinder us...etc (much-much more).

The military pipes these magazines into us (free of charge) in deployed areas, because of the enormous amount of information we get from them.

Staph, it will be interesting to see if we can continue to buy the magazines on posts and if Gannet will get snubbed for the editorials. Don't be surprised if you go to a clothing-sales store next month and cannot find this magazine.

I agree. But, if you can be here on Active Duty to see the CPTs and LTs jumping ship, you would share the frustration (maybe it is the same in the Reserves). The Army had to hold two MAJ. boards last year to make up for the amount of resignations tendered. Though it helps me get promoted early...I do not have half of my battle-buddies at my side. Most guys see the Gen-COL and LTCs get treated like crap and wonder why stay in if that is the future. They can only speak-out to each other though...or prepare for the guillotine.
Eh...again...we've seen this before.

The Clinton years' mass exodus.
The Carter years' hollow Army.
Truman vs. MacArthur
Coolidge vs. Billy Mitchell.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom