Around the NBA 2022-23 (1 Viewer)

Goodnight Boston.

giphy.gif

Plus Jimmy Butler has looked very pedestrian the last few games. Just decent 1x1 defense and he can barely get his shot off. Miami wins anyway.

Now what does this mean for Boston? Tatum/Brown era over?

That Boston series loss is akin to Rocky 3. Except Mr. T knocked Rocky out in the first round in their second fight.

That literally could not have worked out any better for Denver.

Heat are coming off an exhausting 7 games, and will have to fly straight to Denver for Game 1 at altitude.

KCP and AG checking Jimmy and a back to the basket Bam for Jokic. Heat mainly play a zone. Zone’s biggest weakness is competent decision making out of the high post. Jokic’s position. The best passing big of all time. Shoots over 70% in the lane. So to say it might be hard to employ a zone would be an understatement.

I don’t think they can go small against Denver like they did last night either. Asking Jimmy to check MPJ or Aaron Gordon is asking a bit too much. Plus Denver can counter and go smaller with MPJ and the 4 Bruce Brown at the 3 and they will still have a massive size advantage.

This is also a series where rookie Christian Braun will get some run guarding Jimmy Buckets. Terrific defender at 6’7” that gave KD trouble.

I really like this Miami team. They aren’t a fluke. They absolutely can win this series. They seem to be a good bunch and play hard. I just don’t think the Heat have the size. They are going to get killed on the glass. The Nuggets are healthy and mostly have good possessions ending in good shots. They aren’t just going to chuck 42(!) threes in a game like Boston last night. I loved Shaq at halftime. “If I’m the coach of Boston and they are 0-10 from three, I’m calling a timeout and telling them the next person that shoots a three I’m punching in the throat” Not getting hit in the throat by Shaq would be a powerful motivator for me at least.

Maybe I am just biased but I feel better about this series than I have since the Minnesota series. And I predicted Nuggets in 5 against the Lakers and in 6 against Phoenix.

I actually see a lot of similarities between this Finals and the 2001 LAL/PHI finals. Playoff juggernaut with the most dominant player/ center (Shaq / Jokic) and a young scorer that can’t be stopped when they get hot (Jamal / Kobe) versus A transcendent offensive player and ball thief (AI / Butler) and defensive stalwart (Adebayo / Mutoumbo) and a ton a really god roll players. I could Denver losing Game 1 the same way the Lakers did. I hope that isn’t where the similarities end if the Nuggets are the Lakers in this scenario.

I have already started to hyperventilate. Still two days until Game 1.

I would say Denver has this series in the bag, but Miami should not be here, heck half of their team shouldn’t be in the league (they are made up of UDFAs). The fact that they took the Celtics to 7 and beat them…yeah, Denver might win the series, but so might Miami…and I’m here for it.

Last edited:
Great article about Michael Porter Jr. and all he has been through with his back surgeries.

This part is eye opening:

He is reminded of that before every game, when he slips on a brace over his left foot, tucking it underneath his sock. He can’t play without the brace, given how his injuries have impacted his left leg.

“I’m still not fully pain free,” he says. The brace, also known as an ankle foot orthosis, or AFO, was specifically designed for older people in recovery from strokes or other nerve damage. Porter Jr. is wearing it while chasing after some of the best athletes in the world. He believes he is the first NBA player to wear such a brace.

It isn’t easy to play with, as it severely restricts his natural movement, making the way he’s able to defend quick forwards even more impressive. But it helps stabilize him, preventing injury and essentially allowing him to have more normal flexion and extension of his foot. If he didn’t have it, he’d literally trip over himself because he wouldn’t be able to pull his foot up when running. The AFO is critical in aiding that particular movement, also known as dorsiflexion.

I am torn with the finals. I guess I am going for the Nuggets more but I can't help but respect and admire what the Miami Butlers have been able to do and it certainly wouldn't hurt my feelings if they won.

There was some concern about how much draw these finals would have without one of the 'marquee' teams in it, but IMO this is the best Finals storyline in a long minute and so far it's been pretty damned entertaining

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Twitter

Back
    Top Bottom