arrested for saggy pants in LA. (1 Viewer)

Hey, I didnt say I agreed with the law. But isnt that the primary reason the law was implimented? Because its emulating prisoners?

Just because a few elected officials are motivated to pass these kinds of laws because they think the style emulates prison life doesn't mean that's the reason that many people follow the style, even if it might be why some do. Do you think skateboarders who wear their pants low are emulating prison culture? Do you think the hot chick with her pants low and her thong exposed is emulating prison culture?

Do you think that everybody who listens to certain types of music is worshipping the devil because that's what some people in some places think is true, or because some people who listen to the same music might be emulating that kind of culture?

Just because a few elected officials are motivated to pass these kinds of laws because they think the style emulates prison life doesn't mean that's the reason that many people follow the style, even if it might be why some do. Do you think skateboarders who wear their pants low are emulating prison culture? Do you think the hot chick with her pants low and her thong exposed is emulating prison culture?

Do you think that everybody who listens to certain types of music is worshipping the devil because that's what some people in some places think is true, or because some people who listen to the same music might be emulating that kind of culture?
No I dont. But maybe these elected officials do? We can agree tax payers money is wasted on an array of things. It'll continue because the more inane laws are passed, the more the elected officials pockets are lined. Thats the bottom line.

yes, definitely. despite some peoples claims saying this is racism, it really isnt. In my experience, these laws are usually pushed by leaders in the black community.

I am familiar with the Opelousas reference you made and, as I said earlier, that is true in some other small towns I represent. The ordinances to prohibit saggy pants are often proposed by balck council members.

Now does that not make it racism? That depends on ones definition of racism. The laws for the most part clearly target young black men, regardless of the race of the person who proposes the ordinance.

I think most people who propose the law are well intentioned. They see saggy pants as part of a drug culture and as a showing of disrespect to the older generation. Its not just saggy pants. Young black men (and young white men for that matter) with saggy pants, gold teeth and multiple tattoos are going to have trouble finding jobs. Some community leaders want to reverse that trend and think it can be legislated.

Saggy pants, gold teeth, tattoos etc are not a cause of gang activity or drug abuse ---- thye are more of an effect. The root cause is lack of parental guidance and nurturing which in turn causes a lack of education.

That is not to say everyone with saggy pants or gold teeth is uneducated or came from a broken family. For some it can be part of a rebellious behaviour. For others it can be just a fashion choice.

I suppose in a perfect world how we dress and what we wear should make no difference. We live in the real world though, and a young man with low riding pants, gold teeeth and tattoos is going to have a hard time getting a job (thats a generalization, in one of our nice restaurants in Austin our mgr has a peacock blue mohawk and heavy tattoos on both arms). I think in particular the black council members proposing these laws are trying to get to the root cause of unemployment and crime among young black men by legislating a relatively harmless effect - a questionable fashion choice.

However well motivated that might be, our elected official's time would be better spent passing laws that go to the cause rather than the effect. The issue of education is closer to the cause, but the opportunity for education is there. The root, root cause is children growing up with no role models - the cure is having children grow up where they are loved and nurtured. The only way that cycle gets changed is with big brother programs, tutoring programs and the many other grass roots type programs that reach children when they are young and show them people care about them and how they do.

Social rant off///

The issue of education is closer to the cause, but the opportunity for education is there

the problem is that these types of laws often lead to kids being pulled out of schools, so the potential of education becomes one of relativity. For some, moot.

these kinds of policies and practices that lead to arrests and incarceration only expand the proliferation of the school-to-prison pipeline. So while I agree that education is the key, we keep trying to jam it into a completely different lock.

Now does that not make it racism?

of course not

That depends on ones definition of racism.

I'd be interested in seeing what a definition would look like that would, by default, eliminate racism from consideration as a possible factor.

However well motivated that might be, our elected official's time would be better spent passing laws that go to the cause rather than the effect.

wanted to quote this last because I think it's the most important and compelling point. And it echoes something I put very early in the thread - considering the hours and manpower and resources that go into this (in various contexts) - I think we'd be better served allocating those efforts/resources/manpower into things that have demonstrable differences. I don't see this as much more than window dressing and I suspect that there are some who propose in order to pander, superficial or symbolic posturing that doesn't really get into any of the issues meaningfully.

I think we'd be better served allocating those efforts/resources/manpower into things that have demonstrable differences..

We are living in a reactive culture.
We tend to react to things instead of being proactive.

I work at a plant, and i have seen two things happen that the higher ups were reactive instead being proactive.
First one - a lot of people ride bikes in the plant, most have baskets on the front. One person brought her personal bike from home to use. It didn't have a basket on the front. She was carrying a box while riding. She lost control, fell off the bike busted her face up pretty bad. Managements first action was to get rid of all bikes in the plant so it couldn't happen again. That's being reactive.. What they should have done was make it mandatory that all bikes have baskets for carrying items. Then, during safety meetings, educate people to why they need to use a basket instead of carrying something while riding. Simple. But it doesn't have immediate results on the surface.
Second-a carpenter shot his hand with a nail gun. You guessed it, ban all nail guns from the plant. Management now has immediate results on the surface to the higher ups. Looks like they took immediate action.. Maybe make sure the ones who use nail guns have been properly trained and have safe guards in place, but it's something you can't see on the surface..
Both situations cost the company money in the long run. More man hours by requiring those people to walk across the plant instead of being able to ride bikes.
Ever try to do large jobs using hammers instead of nail guns. Takes much longer or double the man power..

Teaching and education is the key.. But who has time for that? We need results NOW..

Personally...I've never understood the fad...I can see wearing loose [to an extent] clothing as being comfortable...but to allow or intentionally let it go so low that your exposing underwear has to be downright bothersome...just the way I've seen individuals walk in order to keep them from falling off...is somewhat ridiculous...I mean...what really is the purpose...can someone other than a prisioner/ex-con please explain the reasoning behind this fad...other than wanting to be different...I just don't get it...

The sad part is that if we were all the same race and dressed alike, then people would still find something to discriminate and even pass laws to harass others. Sexual preference. Religion. Age. Financial status. Society will always find a way. The sadder part is that young urban black males always seem to bear the brunt more than any other aforementioned faction.

Any politician supporting this action should be promptly removed from office, before they next build up enough steam to propose punitive actions towards wearing dreads...

those who cry the loudest get the attention. right now the politicians are passing these laws because many who vote dont like saggy pants. Personaly I think you look like a idiot wearing saggy pants, but so do 60 year old women that got a tramp stamp in their youth. I think that many of the voting class that are against saggy pants are so because of fears due to how its protrayed on tv and movies.

eadickman_27.gif

those who cry the loudest get the attention. right now the politicians are passing these laws because many who vote dont like saggy pants. Personaly I think you look like a idiot wearing saggy pants, but so do 60 year old women that got a tramp stamp in their youth. I think that many of the voting class that are against saggy pants are so because of fears due to how its protrayed on tv and movies.

I just think it's funny that people who support this are probably the same ones complaining about rights being taken away.

I think it's silly. Both the law and sagging.

I just think it's funny that people who support this are probably the same ones complaining about rights being taken away.

I think it's silly. Both the law and sagging.

I sure wish I could give you a thumbs up, dog gone Tapatalk..

I ask myself would I have been better off if someone had banned those turrable Ocean Pacific baggy shorts I wore as a teen. Maybe, :scratch: but it would have been wrong just the same.

Saggy baggy pants are terrible, and so is banning it.

I agree, the gov. Does not need to ban them. Society already is doing that. We have store fronts including in the inner city here that refuse to serve people in baggy saggy pants.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom