Arthur C Clarke dead at 90 (1 Viewer)

Rickboy

Nom Nom Nom Nom.. me hungry for a SuperBowl
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
One of the greatest Sci Fi authors of our time has passed.

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/books/article3579120.ece

Science fiction writer Arthur C Clarke has died aged 90, it was confirmed tonight.

The visionary author was most famous for his novel 2001: A Space Odyssey, and for his collaboration with director Stanley Kubrick on the film of the same name.

Clarke was the last surviving member of what was sometimes known as the "Big Three" of science fiction alongside Robert A. Heinlein and Isaac Asimov.

Not good. He has always been one of my favorite authors.

He was the last remaining golden age of SciFi writer left with ties all the way back to the old "Astounding". He will be missed :(

Great human being. I have always been a huge fan. I can remember as an early teenager I would usually cap off a hanging out in the mall being a malcontent Saturday by heading over to Walden books before I left for the day by buying a Clarke paperback and reading it the following week.

Ugh, that sucks.

Daisy......Daisy

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qbqra7kRXbk&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qbqra7kRXbk&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Man, my pantheon of favorite Sci-fi gurus just keeps getting smaller and smaller.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.'
Arthur C. Clarke

Yes, Star Trek borrowed heavily from Clarke. RIP.

I'm sure he's doing just fine, floating suspended in a state of bio-spiritual metamorphosis, evolving into a higher order pulsar-child,swallowing faded star-sytems, and exhaling fertile galaxies with each golden breath of his new existence

R.I.P. Mr. Clarke.

What his tombstone should be:
art2001monolith.jpg

Rendezvous with Rama was one of my all time favorite books. Clark rocks your brain. Sad day indeed.

A fact that a lot of people are not aware of:

Clarke was also a scientist and visionary who came up with part of the concept of the geostationary communications satellite. He also worked with Cousteau to perfect scuba gear and had many other scientific accomplishments.

In 1945 he wrote a paper on the perfect orbit for a communications satellite which was the exact orbit used by the Russians in the launch of Sputnik in 1957.

An amazing man in many ways.

I've read every work of Sci-Fi that he has written. My favorite was "Rendezvous with Rama" and its sequels.

A lot of people don't realize that Clarke invented the Geostationary Satellite, which makes worldwide communications possible. He lived an amazing life.

He didn't invent the satellite, although he did write a paper describing in detail how they would work. He calculated the elevation they'd have to be in order to remain in orbit. Hence the name of the area the satellites reside...the "Clarke Belt".

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom