Article: Is Drew Brees done? USA Today - Really Interesting (1 Viewer)

Every year Drew has a string of games where he does not look great. Hopefully, that is at the beginning of the season and he will look great at the end of the season. Even though he hasn't looked great, he can still play.

The thing is except for random shots, the longer passes have essentially been out of the game plan for the last few years. How many out patterns do the WRs even run anymore? The post patterns? There are some routes that are essential that just have simply been taken out. Defenses aren’t stupid. The Raiders made the Saints go with a very short game because they knew Brees couldn’t get the ball to the back side of the coverage and blow the top off it. How many times have we had this discussion. His yards per attempt has been going down for years.
Last year was the first year you could really start to see the decline in velocity. The balls were still getting there, but without the velocity. This year, the velocity is much worse, which is showing as the inaccuracies as the ball is arriving late and Brees is trying to adjust. Sorry, but this will be Dan Marino bad by the end of the season. Think of when Brees came back after his injury last year. Had 5 great games. Then all the tired arm issues came back. This year, it’s just not there. I love Drew dearly, but this is the end.
There were no tired arm issues last year, he finished the season on a 4 game stretch where is TD to Int ration was 15:0 and he had the highest passer rating month of his career. There was a bit of a drop at the end of 2018, but a case could be made that his start was so good there was nowhere to go but down.

I just know that there have been fans waiting in the shadows for years for this to happen. That part is sad.

Barring injury, I believe Drew gets this year, good bad or ugly. Drew will have good games and not so good games along the way. He is what he is now. That's not going to change. I dont believe he will lose games for us.

But our defense simply cannot play like they played monday night. That was some of the sloppiest uninspired football weve seen from that unit in years. Defense and offensive skill players are going to decide 2020 for us,not drew.

And the coaching staff is going to have to step up as well. Regardless, it's one game and lately, we tend to blow week one or week 2. This year it was week 2 to a good team, in their grand stadium home opener, on MNF, with the zebras out in mid-season form... throwing flags at just the right times to cut the deepest.

Yeah there was. Did you actually watch? Sure his accuracy was there, but what was he down to? 4-5 yards per attempt? We have people sitting here saying he hasn’t dropped off, that it’s because teams shut off the deep ball and all this. Sure they do, because no team is scared of it.
There were no tired arm issues last year, he finished the season on a 4 game stretch where is TD to Int ration was 15:0 and he had the highest passer rating month of his career. There was a bit of a drop at the end of 2018, but a case could be made that his start was so good there was nowhere to go but down.

There were a few throws that he made that were nice, and there were a few that seemed really off, but what made me the most worried was his face. There were a few times the camera was on him, and he was making a face that I'd never seen from him before. He looked legitimately scared. It was crazy. Not sure what it was, but given the context, I thought it was safe to assume it was concern about his play, and I got so incredibly sad. Wanted to give the dude a hug.

Wrong. Fourth quarter drives:
1) He misplaced two balls. This is the problem, not that they were short passes. Punt.
2) Very good drive, all of short passes. TD.
3) Got the ball with 1 minute left, no timeouts, 24-34. The game was lost.

Count 4 ugly drops as well: the offense was bad in the second half because lack of execution (both by Brees and the receivers), not because the passes were “too short”. We won tons of games this way in the last three years, just executing, scoring 30-40 points. We could have easily scored 31 if not for penalties, drops and a couple (just a couple) of bad throws. Also, Kamara was our WR1 (!!), the mediocre Trequan was 2, and Sanders (who probably needs time) was 3.

Don’t you dare bring logic into a thread filled with arm chair coaches.

Not to mention we had a whopping 9 possessions in the ENTIRE game, to put in perspective we had 8 in the second half alone against Tampa. Drew isn’t near the top of the list of problems that we had against the Raiders. He’s just the easy target of people that are either too lazy to dive into the statistics or don’t have the football IQ to do so.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom