Article: Is Drew Brees done? USA Today - Really Interesting (1 Viewer)

Swimmer

Medsamust Saint Fan
Reaction score
He's trying to get some attention from readers and I think he goes overboard a bit. As many, I've been worried about Brees age and arm. SP has had to reaarange the offense to disguise the loss of the long ball on a game basis. But Farrar throws a ton of interestings stats.

Personally, I think Brees will turn this around starting next week on National TV and fleece the Pack, but I sincerely doubt he can be effective for 16 games plus playoffs.

Here you go!

....every single fourth-quarter pass that came from Brees was short. 13 of his 14 fourth-quarter passing attempts, in fact.
Through two games in the 2020 NFL season, Saints quarterback Drew Brees looks a lot like a guy who’s just about done playing quarterback at a plus level. In Monday night’s 34-24 loss to the Raiders, Brees completed 26 of 38 passes for 312 yards, one touchdown, and one interception. Pretty good stats on their face, especially since Brees was working without receiver Michael Thomas, who’s out with an ankle injury.

But when you go beyond the box score, things are quite disconcerting. Late in the game, when the Saints needed Brees to connect with his receivers on explosive chunk plays that would make the game closer, Brees didn’t do it. Instead, he dinked and dunked his way down the field through the fourth quarter.

Outside of an 18-yard shot to a wide-open Emmanuel Sanders under Las Vegas’ two-deep coverage with 1:05 left in the game, every single fourth-quarter pass that came from Brees was short. 13 of his 14 fourth-quarter passing attempts, in fact. And even then, three of those 13 were incomplete. Head coach and offensive play-designer Sean Payton was in a position where his quarterback would not take the seam and post shots that once defined Brees as one of the best quarterbacks of his generation.

(He goes through related Next Gen stats before stating the follwoing....)
What’s the point of all this? Brees has an Expected Completion Percentage of 71.9%, and a Completion Percentage Above (or in this case, Below) Expectation of -8.4%. Only Dwayne Haskins and Carson Wentz fare worse in this stat in 2020.

There was also this interception to linebacker Nick Morrow, which wouldn’t look out of place on Saints backup Jameis Winston’s 2019 lowlight reel with the Buccaneers.

Is Brees Done

I am bizarrely confident in this team. SB? Maybe NFCCG. Hope more! But I am still most concerened about the locker room after Brees comments which a number of our players took ofeensively. This last game would make me think that. The 1st one, not so much so.

Almost everyone in the media said he was done today. I'll give him one more game to see but we can't overlook the fact that he had 5 games off last year.

Excellent point. Brees only played 11 regular-season games last year
And he looked spent during the Minnesota game.

Taysom needs more snaps at qb. The offense has a pep that it doesn’t have with Drew in the game when Taysom is in. Not saying they are dogging for Drew, just that Taysom brings an energy in the same way Lamar a Jackson energized the Ravens.

I LOVE Drew. He’s been part of the greatest joys of my sports watching life - but I hate seeing him a shell of himself. It’s like watching an old friend fade out before your eyes.

And he looked spent during the Minnesota game.

Taysom needs more snaps at qb. The offense has a pep that it doesn’t have with Drew in the game when Taysom is in. Not saying they are dogging for Drew, just that Taysom brings an energy in the same way Lamar a Jackson energized the Ravens.

I LOVE Drew. He’s been part of the greatest joys of my sports watching life - but I hate seeing him a shell of himself. It’s like watching an old friend fade out before your eyes.
I love Drew as well hope he finds a way to get it done and retire in style.

There is a pretty obvious limitation with his ability as a passer, the deep balls has always been a part of this offense and as of late the deep balls has all but disappeared in this offense so much so that when we do attempt a deep pass it's a play designed for Taysom Hill to throw.

How many bad games until we the fans really think about starting Taysom Hill or Jameis Winston with Hill playing his normal role? How many games until coach really considers starting someone else? If we end up 1-3 and he's as bad as he did against the Raiders then he has to go for the good of the team/season IMO.

How many bad games until we the fans really think about starting Taysom Hill or Jameis Winston with Hill playing his normal role? How many games until coach really considers starting someone else? If we end up 1-3 and he's as bad as he did against the Raiders then he has to go for the good of the team/season IMO.

Barring injury, this is Brees team to run, but it's obvious the position needs a jolt of youth.

Barring injury, this is Brees team to run, but it's obvious the position needs a jolt of youth.
The jolt of youth at the position means Brees is benched. So we are just gonna wait till next year for it even if Brees continues to show a dead arm and make bad decisions? I thought the time to win was now.

As many bad games as Drew wants. He will not and should not be replaced mid season. If we are 3-13 so be it.

That's my opinion. I hope he can have a respectable final season but if not we pick up the pieces next year.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom