(Article)NFL COMMISSIONER ROGER GOODELL LEAGUE MEETING MEDIA BRIEFING (1 Viewer)

*_deuce_*

Keeping the Faith
Reaction score
Transcript: Commissioner Goodell at 2012 Spring League Meeting

NFL COMMISSIONER ROGER GOODELL

LEAGUE MEETING MEDIA BRIEFING

ATLANTA, GA

We had a very productive day. We talked a lot about and took a lot of action towards our continuing commitment to the game. We spent most of the morning on player health and safety and player engagement. We had a report from our medical committee and medical advisors, and Dr. Satcher was here. Troy Vincent took the lead on player engagement. He talked a lot about the programs we have in place to help our active players and also our retired players with the transition out of the game of football. We spent a fair amount of time this morning on the Competition Committee and some rules we had to follow up on from March and some issues that still needed to be addressed that were tabled at the March meetings. The rest of the morning and the afternoon focused primarily on fan initiatives -- what we can do to continue to grow the game and make the game better for our fans. A lot of that was stadium related. We updated our membership on stadium developments including two new waivers with respect to projects in Green Bay and Pittsburgh and also had updates on San Francisco and Minnesota. Then we spent some time on Wi-Fi. We believe that it’s important for us to bring technology into the stadiums. We have made the point repeatedly that the experience at home is outstanding and we have to compete with that in some fashion by making sure we create the same kind of environment in our stadiums and use the same kind of technology. We also talked about the expansion of the game internationally.

Full Article

I found this interesting piece towards the end:
On the NFL’s evidence against Saints players and re-evaluating decisions following the players’ statements:
Sure, you second guess yourself because that is what an appeals process is for. You want to hear what the players have to say. Some of them indicated they wanted to come in and talk before the decision was made. I invited them in. They decided not to do that, at the NFLPA’s recommendation, I think. I understand that. When we get to the appeals, we will be able to talk about it and we will be able to hear from one another.

Is Goodell admitting to having second thoughts now?

From the article:

On if Jonathan Vilma suit was discussed:

I don’t think it was discussed. I think they reported that it existed. I don’t think there was any discussion.

Any comment on the Vilma suit?

No.

On if there is any talk about releasing the proof of payment in Saints bounty scandal:

We released the facts back in early March. We have met with the union a couple of times. The union specifically told the players not to cooperate in the investigation. We are in the midst of challenges on a variety of fronts with respect to the process of these appeals. So as that plays out and as that is concluded how that process will go forward, we will certainly engage and make sure we are fulfilling every aspect of that; including the appeals process itself.

On if he would expect at some point the proof becomes public:

Yes, I do.

I'm guessing the "facts" are his interpretation of the proof and the "proof" are the actual documents and interviews?

In other words, there is no proof. Everything they have released is everything they have.

In other words, there is no proof. Everything they have released is everything they have.

In other words? He said the proof will be made public.
I don't think we'll ever get the identities of the whistle blowers. That's inherent with the concept of whistle blower protections. If there's going to be accountability for wrong doing at the very top levels of authority then underlings that testify of their wrong-doings must be able to trust that their identity remains confidential.

Devil's advocate: Could he be eluding to that if the players union hadn't told the players not to cooperate, and he had a chance to talk to the accused players, that maybe the punishments wouldn't have been so harsh?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

In other words? He said the proof will be made public.

That's not really what he said. He said he believed one day (which is so damn vague that it's laughable) the proof would be made public. It's an almost totally meaningless comment. PR speak to placate the masses.

Be more judicious in choosing to believe millionaires running billion dollar enterprises embroiled in lawsuits. These people, ya know, lie.

Why does all of this feel and sound like old news?

Oh yeah, it is...

Devil's advocate: Could he be eluding to that if the players union hadn't told the players not to cooperate, and he had a chance to talk to the accused players, that maybe the punishments wouldn't have been so harsh?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

Just like how the Saints coaches and FO cooperated with him. Just like Hargrove cooperated with him. How about the "snitch" name being leaked.

If I were the players I would not cooperate either. He has a history of twisting words and fabricating facts to fit with his agenda. Too many people that have cooperated with him have come out and refuted his "proof". There has been nothing he has done that would make players trust him. Not one thing.

That's not really what he said. He said he believed one day (which is so damn vague that it's laughable) the proof would be made public. It's an almost totally meaningless comment. PR speak to placate the masses.

Be more judicious in choosing to believe millionaires running billion dollar enterprises embroiled in lawsuits. These people, ya know, lie.

what??? he said exactly that... was questioned if he thought at some point would the proof be made public... response "Yes I do".... statement qualified about the timing of the release of evidence is as follows..."We are in the midst of challenges on a variety of fronts with respect to the process of these appeals. So as that plays out and as that is concluded how that process will go forward, we will certainly engage and make sure we are fulfilling every aspect of that" translated for folks who may not be able to clearly comprehend what they are reading... after we get through all of the legal wrangling and appeals it will become more appropriate and ethical to release the proof but it isn't that way yet

We have made the point repeatedly that the experience at home is outstanding and we have to compete with that in some fashion by making sure we create the same kind of environment in our stadiums and use the same kind of technology.

Here's a tip, Rog. Turn down the volume on your stupid PA systems so what the announcer is saying can be understood instead of just sounding like distorted noise. Also, stop trying to deafen us with obnoxiously loud music and scoreboard commercials between every play. We came to watch the game and we want to talk about the game between plays, not be drowned out by noise. We don't need to be "entertained" every second with extraneous nonsense that actually takes away from the game.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom