Article on Patriots FA Approach - Look where the Saints are (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Good article and graphic on who avoids fully guaranteed FA contracts. In the chart, keep in mind the closer to the bottom left you are, the less you are overpaying for talent. Saints are moving more towards the bottom left.

It's easy for the Pats to attract competitive players without overpaying in light of their frequent super bowl appearances. They don't need to buy a bunch of mercenaries. We could use a couple of mercs to put us over the top before Drew's window closes.

The Cowboys have to re-up Dak, Lawrence, Zeke, Cooper, Byron Jones and Jaylen Smith over the next 2 season so they'll trend to the top-right soon.

I wonder how accurate that chart really is. The OTC website (where the graphic comes from) doesn't list the deals for Easton, Brown, or Edwards.

Why you need free agency when the league gives you a bajillion comp picks?

I need some help understanding how the Pats do their offseason player thing. Thx! So Malcom Brown seems to be a perfect example. He was like a 1st round pic or early 2nd? He is approaching major, make me rich, contract time. So what do the Pats do? They let a quality player of 4 years just walk. And they seem to do this a fair amount. Even if they get a 3rd round comp pic it will essentially be an earkly 4th round pic. That doesn't seem equal, 1st for a very late 3rd. Do they let a lot of their high draft pics just walk after their rookie contracts expire or get close to expiring. Can you or someone explain the entire picture to me on the Pats talent acquisition and retention strategy? Again - thx so much all

I need some help understanding how the Pats do their offseason player thing. Thx! So Malcom Brown seems to be a perfect example. He was like a 1st round pic or early 2nd? He is approaching major, make me rich, contract time. So what do the Pats do? They let a quality player of 4 years just walk. And they seem to do this a fair amount. Even if they get a 3rd round comp pic it will essentially be an earkly 4th round pic. That doesn't seem equal, 1st for a very late 3rd. Do they let a lot of their high draft pics just walk after their rookie contracts expire or get close to expiring. Can you or someone explain the entire picture to me on the Pats talent acquisition and retention strategy? Again - thx so much all
It's simple.
They do not overpay for anyone not named Brady. If your a once a generational player they will pay you. Otherwise, they won't. To them, everybody is replaceable.

It only works for the pats because people will go their to play for less money in order to play with Brady/and win superbowls. The Pats would be mediocre if not for their baked in advantage. There actual drafts are pretty terrible.

It only works for the pats because people will go their to play for less money in order to play with Brady/and win superbowls. The Pats would be mediocre if not for their baked in advantage. There actual drafts are pretty terrible.

Fun fact: Since 2012 the Patriots have had 13 picks in the 1st and 2nd round. Of those 13 picks, only 3 are still on their roster.

'18 - Isaiah Wynn
'18 - Sony Michel
'12- Dont'a Hightower

Over that same span the Saints have had 13 picks in the 1st and 2nd round and of those 13, 8 are still on the roster.

'18 - Marcus Davenport
'17 - Marshon Lattimore
'17 - Ryan Ramczyk
'17 - Marcus Williams
'16 - Sheldon Rankins
'16 - Michael Thomas
'16 - Vonn Bell
'15 - Andrus Peat

Note: Ireland came aboard in '15. The results speak for themselves. His only real 1st or 2nd round miss was Stephone Anthony. And I guess Hau'oli Kikaha was a miss too but that had more to do with injuries. But I'll include him because he had major medical red flags coming into the draft.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom