Article: Saints could be big players in next wave of free agency (speculative analysis) (1 Viewer)

MT/Olave/Thielen/Shaheed with AK/Williams sounds juicy.

Probably not super realistic, but obviously not impossible. Especially with players obviously seeing how weak the NFC appears to be currently. Would also give another sure-handed target for Carr in case (knock on wood) MT goes down again.

I still haven’t seen updated cap numbers for MT13 either, we likely have less space and need dollars for rookies plus IR replacements.

Shelby Harris is the type of hybrid DT/DE we seem to put high value on. A guy that can play outside early and move inside on passing downs. Even if Roach returns we need more rotation and Harris fills in if we lose Street (although I’m not against bringing him back either)
Theilen is a good short term answer. Basically what we tried to do with Landry last year. At best he’s a Mike Thomas replacement to move the chains and compliment Olave. At worst he’s a veteran presence that adds to the rotation and can come up big when needed.
Mohammad, I’m all for bringing in as many pass rushers as we can. We NEED more sack production from our DE’s. There are better guys out there but snaps and pressures are needed.

I also think that a couple of these moves will be post draft. It always happens, this guy falls, this position is a must but the draft didn’t fall as expected. A guy like Theilen or even Harris could be a “let’s wait and see what the draft brings and revisit”.

Last edited:
I think Thielen is this year's version of Kyle Rudolph from Minny. He is basically done. WRs at this point of Free Agency are rarely difference makers let alone still capable of decent production. Better to look elsewhere for help or sign a FA at another position.

I think Thielen is this year's version of Kyle Rudolph from Minny. He is basically done. WRs at this point of Free Agency are rarely difference makers let alone still capable of decent production. Better to look elsewhere for help or sign a FA at another position.

Agreed. At this point, Jarvis Landry makes more sense. He's knows the offense and although it may not seem like it, he's almost 3 years younger than Thielen.

Sorry if this has been answered, but I’m not a salary cap expert.
But will there be a time were the Saints can manage the cap in a regular manner without borrowing from other years and without having a “tank season?”

Sorry if this has been answered, but I’m not a salary cap expert.
But will there be a time were the Saints can manage the cap in a regular manner without borrowing from other years and without having a “tank season?”
There are some ugly void year contracts but other than those this is their strategy for perpetuity. Not sure why you think they will have a tank season though. When some bills are due you just push others forward. By constantly pushing forward you reduce the cap hit of contracts because the cap goes up. It's a strategy not coping.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom