Article: Saints could be big players in next wave of free agency (speculative analysis) (1 Viewer)

It will be a little better once they clear some heavy void year contracts. Basically though this is their strategy for perpetuity. Not sure why you think they will have a tank season though. When some bills are due you just push other forward. By constantly pushing forward you reduce the cap hit of contracts because the cap goes up. It's a strategy not coping.
I was talking in the belief that [name withheld] has in which you have a “tank season” to get the books right.

I was talking in the belief that [name withheld] has in which you have a “tank season” to get the books right.
Our books have dead money and void years on them until 2027. There's no clearing that with a tank season or anything. It's there and nothing can be done about it.

Didn’t want to start a new thread on this, but since he was mentioned….. what is Jarvis Landry’s status? Is he still injured? I know he didn’t play much last season but I thought he looked decent in the few games he did play. I wouldn’t mind bringing him back for another year. Assuming health for the whole receiver room (big assumption, I know) I think things would open up a bit for him.

Sorry if this has been answered, but I’m not a salary cap expert.
But will there be a time were the Saints can manage the cap in a regular manner without borrowing from other years and without having a “tank season?”
Yes, Loomis has said he wants to get there, they’ll find a way at some point.

One simple way is to not use up all of their restructuring capacity each year. That’s how the Saints did it pre-2020, they kept flexibility from year to year by leaving base salaries and roster bonuses intact. When things went south, they could use that capacity to move on from bad contracts like they did for Galette, Graham, and Byrd.

They also reserved void years for Brees pre-2020, so reserving them for our top 2-3 contracts instead of using them for every veteran contract would be another way to regain flexibility.

Where are we in terms of 2024 Compensatory picks now with our current signings? Would adding these guys hurt us more in terms of getting picks for next year?
We should be netting three picks as of now once they factor in the Saunders contract. If the APY for any new players is below $3m, it probably won’t have an effect. Anything above that would risk eliminating one of the picks.

DJ Chark please. Has speed to stretch the field and can create space underneath on short and intermediate routes. With Shaheed’s inexperience and Thomas’ injury history, DJ could fill any need in the WR corps as a starter or quality depth. Did I mention prototypical size at 6-3, 200ish?

Usually about a week in is when the value buys ramp up as guys become desperate for deals and start coming down on their asking prices and/or looking for one-year rental/“prove it” type contracts.
On NFL radio they were surprised at the surge of one year deals in the first few days in free agency. Buyer’s market (excluding DT’s).

That should provide some opportunities for good deals next week as you said.

Any chance we can sign any quality OL players? I think that's probably the weakest link on the depth chart.

Where are we in terms of 2024 Compensatory picks now with our current signings? Would adding these guys hurt us more in terms of getting picks for next year?

We should be netting three picks as of now once they factor in the Saunders contract. If the APY for any new players is below $3m, it probably won’t have an effect. Anything above that would risk eliminating one of the picks.

The players noted in the OP's article DO NOT count in the Comp Pick formula. They were all let go, contracts terminated, by their former teams. As of now, the Saints are +3 for comp picks. I think most people think they would be in line for at least one of those being a 4th round pick, possibly a 3rd if it works out. Saints should look at playing the comp pick game and sign guys who had their contracts terminated.

Would be nice to get say an extra 3rd, 4th and 5th rounder next year or something like that. Even a 4th, 5th and 6th would be nice.

This year, the Niners got three #3's a #5,a #6 and two #7's. Yes, SEVEN Comp Picks.... Have the Saints gotten 7 comp picks in the entire history of comp picks?

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom