Article & Video: Breaking down all of Jameis Winston's 30 ints in 2019 (1 Viewer)

I am excited for Winston as Brees’ temporary replacement, but one’s excitement should not come from being an apologist for his TB mistakes. It’s the fact that we all know and acknowledge Jameis is talented, just historically a terrible decision-maker. He showed signs of maturity when he signed with NO over a team where he could compete as a starter. That commitment to learn is a great sign.. If it clicks mentally, he’s a true first overall pick talent at QB.

People have to give him a chance.. Teddy was bad in relief against LAR last season before putting together a 5-0 run when CSP could scheme to his strengths. Winston’s skill set actually allows CSP to chip away underneath and then open up the vertical arsenal a bit more than with Brees, Taysom or Teddy, so we should all be intrigued by what Jameis can offer as a starter. Watch out for Deonte Harris this week.
Bledsoe threw 27 ints in 1994 with no rushing attack and 2 years later he was in the Superbowl with Curtis Martin and Terry Glenn.

I'm willing to give the guy the benefit of the doubt.

Even with poor coaching his career rating rivals early Brees and Manning.

So I counted about 8 ints that were likely not his fault (batted/tipped passes, wrs ran wrong route, prayer hail Mary, hit as he threw, etc.) and a ton more into triple coverage that happened likely as a result of the lack of a realistic threat of a running game.
The QB isn't absolved of all the blame for batted/tipped passes or being hit as he throws, unless its just colossal failure on the OL's part. QB's need to know when to throw vs when to tuck, and also be aware of the throwing lanes.
In spite of what some of the SR.com geniuses think, I think those sacks Jameis took in the redzone may have been a sign of maturity. The pocket closed so quickly on him, the turnover risk was sky high if he tried to get a throw off, and he knew when to tuck it.

What we aren't also talking about are the sack fumbles. They are extremely high as well.

In the last 4 years (56 games), he has fumbled an unbelievable 44 times and lost 21 of them.

He's the modern day Dave Krieg.

As a comparison, Drew Brees last 51 games, 15 fumbles, only 3 lost.

I think the bottom line we will need to take the good with the bad.

He'll extend the field as Drew can no longer do, but he'll also leave us exasperated with the crazy mistakes.

Last edited:
As a Jamis hater when he was with the Bucs, I am happy to see him get a chance with a real game plan, Running backs, and O-line. He needs to be patient. He tends to let his emotions get the best of him on a few throws (happy feet). At worst we find out if he is our QB of the future or do we need to draft one.
As a person who has religiously followed the draft for over 20 years I can say that there aren't many better options that come along like Jameis Winston or Teddy Bridgewater.

The only prospects who can hold a candle to him next year are Mac Jones and Justin Fields at this point.

Jones is the only prospect that I see having a potentially higher ceiling than a rehabilitated Winston.

The QB isn't absolved of all the blame for batted/tipped passes or being hit as he throws, unless its just colossal failure on the OL's part. QB's need to know when to throw vs when to tuck, and also be aware of the throwing lanes.
In spite of what some of the SR.com geniuses think, I think those sacks Jameis took in the redzone may have been a sign of maturity. The pocket closed so quickly on him, the turnover risk was sky high if he tried to get a throw off, and he knew when to tuck it.
How is a ball tipped in the air by a wr the QB's fault?

What we aren't also talking about are the sack fumbles. They are extremely high as well.

In the last 4 years (56 games), he has fumbled an unbelievable 44 times and lost 21 of them.

Drew Brees last 51 games, 15 fumbles, only 3 lost.
We literally set the record for fewest turnovers last year.
No matter who gets the snaps at QB, we're going to see a lot more TO's than we're used to.

How is a ball tipped in the air by a wr the QB's fault?
My mistake, you didnt specify that they were by WR's in the post, so I thought you meant defensive tips. If its just straight up drops by the WR's on good throws, then different story.

As a comparison, Drew Brees last 51 games, 15 fumbles, only 3 lost.

I think the bottom line we will need to take the good with the bad.

He'll extend the field as Drew can no longer do, but he'll also leave us exasperated with the crazy mistakes.
Again.

Playing the numbers that's to be expected.

He was the 2nd most sacked qb last year with 47.

We literally set the record for fewest turnovers last year.
No matter who gets the snaps at QB, we're going to see a lot more TO's than we're used to.
The saints allowed only 25 sacks last year compared to 48 for the bucs.

The saints had the 16th rushing attack.

The bucs were 24th.

My mistake, you didnt specify that they were by WR's in the post, so I thought you meant defensive tips. If its just straight up drops by the WR's on good throws, then different story.
Yeah.

Just watch the video.

I think one was against the saints.

Brees was sacked a total of 86 times in the last 5 years for an average of 17.5 per season.

Almost exactly twice the sacks allowed on Winston in the same time span.

It's the running game.
No, it's the coaching.
I mean the tipped passes.
No, wait it's the speed of the fastest WR.
By which I *really* mean, it's the number of sacks.

Classic stuff.

If you can take anything away from all these numbers, it should be that there isn't any single measure to tell us how good or bad a player might truly be.

In the round, Winston's consistently generated turnovers at a historically bad rate, including more first drive INTs than anyone in history, over his entire career. This isn't a matter of comparing with other player's worst years, this is career level bad.

But right now it doesn't matter one way or the other, we'll need to give it time to see if he's going to turn into Steve Young, Blaine Gabbert or end up somewhere in between (Trent Dilfer in his game manager years).

Meanwhile, Deshaun Watson and his 151 sacks in 47 career games is laughing at the idea that 34 sacks a year is somehow impossible to overcome from an interceptions perspective (89:34 TD:INT ratio). And Deandre only ran a 4.57. (I'll look forward to 'something something Will Fuller', except of course he's missed 20 of those games)

Last edited:
It's the running game.
No, it's the coaching.
I mean the tipped passes.
No, wait it's the speed of the fastest WR.
By which I *really* mean, it's the number of sacks.

Classic stuff.

If you can take anything away from all these numbers, it should be that there isn't any single measure to tell us how good or bad a player might truly be.

In the round, Winston's consistently generated turnovers at a historically bad rate, including more first drive INTs than anyone in history, over his entire career. This isn't a matter of comparing with other player's worst years, this is career level bad.

But right now it doesn't matter one way or the other, we'll need to give it time to see if he's going to turn into Steve Young, Blaine Gabbert or end up somewhere in between (Trent Dilfer in his game manager years).

Meanwhile, Deshaun Watson and his 151 sacks in 47 career games is laughing at the idea that 34 sacks a year is somehow impossible to overcome from an interceptions perspective (89:34 TD:INT ratio). And Deandre only ran a 4.57. (I'll look forward to 'something something Will Fuller', except of course he's missed 20 of those games)
Houston also had the 9th most rushing yards last year.

I could continue if you like.

I'm not buying the woe is me argument for Winston.

Although interestingly enough the one argument you could have put forward was how bad the Tampa defense was and that he was constantly being pressured to put points up on the board possibly leading to these interceptions.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom