As Americans, is it accurate to consider Canada an international country? (1 Viewer)

Saintman2884

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Sticky Post
I apologize to those who, upon seeing this for the first time, believe this is a silly and stupid statement for a thread, but to me while Canada is a foreign country outside our borders, it doesn't strike me as being an international type country for many Americans who in more than a two dozen states, Canadian border is just 30 minutes to a several hours drive away from their front doors. International is a term that to me means a highly-anticipated, very long distance travel by air, sea, or land over the course of 10-12 hours or a day or two to arrive there, like traveling from NY to Tokyo, or Beijing, Moscow, London's Heathrow, Paris, Berlin, Copenhagen, Oslo, Rome, Istanbul, etc. I realize in the context of living in the American Deep South, traveling to most Canadian cities might present a more expensive, logistical challenge and longer travel time for me then those living in the Northeast, Upper Midwest, Upper Plain States, Montana, Idaho, PNW or Alaska. But even for someone like me, making travel plans to go and spend time in Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa, NS, or Quebec doesn't seem as big or as unrealistic in terms of feasibility as an American compared to traveling to UK, France, or Germany, or Greece.

For millions of Americans, Canada might as well as be the next state over especially if you live in Boston, Buffalo, Detroit, Minneapolis-St. Paul, Seattle, Rochester, Cleveland, Pittsburgh or Massula, Montana.

I pose the same question to Canadian posters on SR, especially those living in cities right on or within relatively close distance to US border like Ottawa, Toronto, Windsor, Ontario, Vancouver, BC, do you consider the US an international country or just a big, huge foreign country to the south of you?

Reaction score
I think the same type of question could be asked of California. As of right now, there are more Latinos in California, than any other ethnic group. Plus, with the open migration with Mexico, and net migration out of native Californians, it's basically an international state at this point.

There is a global push to make Canada, U.S., and Mexico one political area. I believe they have a currency in the making called, the Amero. Welcome to the New World Order.

Oye

shopgirl's metaphysic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I think the same type of question could be asked of California. As of right now, there are more Latinos in California, than any other ethnic group.
"Latino" and "American" are not mutually exclusive, though.

Estimates from 5 years ago put the illegal population in CA at around 6%. So, I'm not sure how that makes it an "international country"

Moreover, that population has been declining steadily since peaking in 2007 until at least five years ago (2014 was about the same level as 2000)

https://www.ppic.org/publication/undocumented-immigrants-in-california/

Last edited:
Reaction score
"Latino" and "American" are not mutually exclusive, though.

Estimates from 5 years ago put the illegal population in CA at around 6%. So, I'm not sure how that makes it an "international country"

Moreover, that population has been declining steadily since peaking in 2007 until at least five years ago (2014 was about the same level as 2000)
At this point it's still debatable, but I think in 10 years it will not be. I would recommend visiting Los Angeles, California this year for an eye opening experience.

Oye

shopgirl's metaphysic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
the new polymer bills up here are pretty cool and colorful - and Viola Davis on the $10 bill :yes:

Oye

shopgirl's metaphysic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
At this point it's still debatable, but I think in 10 years it will not be. I would recommend visiting Los Angeles, California this year for an eye opening experience.
I still don't understand your point. I'm not sure what you're "debating."

Is Latino not American even if the Latinos in question are, in fact, American?
What makes it an "international country"? Illegals or Latinos?
Did you mean "Los Angeles" when you typed "California"?
New Mexico has a higher Latino population than California - does that mean that New Mexico should also be considered a "foreign country"?
Texas has a comparable percentage as a state of Latinos, does that mean that Texas should be considered an "international country"? (as an aside, I can't imagine that perspective would go over all that well based on living next door to or inside of for most of my life)

SystemShock

uh yu ka t'ann
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I think the same type of question could be asked of California. As of right now, there are more Latinos in California, than any other ethnic group. Plus, with the open migration with Mexico, and net migration out of native Californians, it's basically an international state at this point.

There is a global push to make Canada, U.S., and Mexico one political area. I believe they have a currency in the making called, the Amero. Welcome to the New World Order.
You do know that, until relatively not long ago, California was part of México, right? Ergo the Spanish names for the majority of cities in California.

And there is no "open migration", no matter what you have been lead to believe.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Like I said, it's still debatable. Your talking to someone who is born and raised in California, so I might have a different perspective on the matter. I would encourage you to talk to people who actually live in the state or visit it yourself. I know I can make phone calls and talk to family and friends (who live in California) to get their input. I would encourage you to investigate it further, if it's of interest to you. All the best!

Last edited:

Oye

shopgirl's metaphysic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Like I said, it's still debatable. Your talking to someone who is born and raised in California, so I might have a different perspective on the matter. I would encourage you to talk to people who actually live in the state or visit it yourself. I know I can make phone calls and talk to family and friends (who live in California) to get their input. I would encourage you to investigate it further, if it's of interest to you. All the best!
I still don't know what you're debating. There are American citizens who are Latino who live in California and make up a significant part of the population (like other states). How does that make it an "international country" in the sense that it's somehow apart from the USA? What am I supposed to "investigate"?

Reaction score
I still don't know what you're debating. There are American citizens who are Latino who live in California and make up a significant part of the population (like other states). How does that make it an "international country" in the sense that it's somehow apart from the USA? What am I supposed to "investigate"?
Please visit California. Don't you think first hand knowledge is the best? Have you ever lived there? See what it's like. When is the last time you been to California? Have you ever been there?

Once you answer these questions, you will know what to investigate.

Last edited:

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Please visit California. Don't you think first hand knowledge is the best? Have you ever lived there? See what it's like. When is the last time you been to California? Have you ever been there?

Once you answer these questions, you will know what to investigate.
What will our eyes tell us?

Heathen Saint

#Sanders2020
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
So living in / being from an area makes you an expert on geopolitical matters? In that case, the rest of the world is just wrong about my home state of Mississippi. It's America that needs to be more like them!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Saints Headlines (The Advocate)

Headlines

Top Bottom