As Americans, is it accurate to consider Canada an international country? (1 Viewer)

Saintman2884

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Sticky Post
I apologize to those who, upon seeing this for the first time, believe this is a silly and stupid statement for a thread, but to me while Canada is a foreign country outside our borders, it doesn't strike me as being an international type country for many Americans who in more than a two dozen states, Canadian border is just 30 minutes to a several hours drive away from their front doors. International is a term that to me means a highly-anticipated, very long distance travel by air, sea, or land over the course of 10-12 hours or a day or two to arrive there, like traveling from NY to Tokyo, or Beijing, Moscow, London's Heathrow, Paris, Berlin, Copenhagen, Oslo, Rome, Istanbul, etc. I realize in the context of living in the American Deep South, traveling to most Canadian cities might present a more expensive, logistical challenge and longer travel time for me then those living in the Northeast, Upper Midwest, Upper Plain States, Montana, Idaho, PNW or Alaska. But even for someone like me, making travel plans to go and spend time in Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa, NS, or Quebec doesn't seem as big or as unrealistic in terms of feasibility as an American compared to traveling to UK, France, or Germany, or Greece.

For millions of Americans, Canada might as well as be the next state over especially if you live in Boston, Buffalo, Detroit, Minneapolis-St. Paul, Seattle, Rochester, Cleveland, Pittsburgh or Massula, Montana.

I pose the same question to Canadian posters on SR, especially those living in cities right on or within relatively close distance to US border like Ottawa, Toronto, Windsor, Ontario, Vancouver, BC, do you consider the US an international country or just a big, huge foreign country to the south of you?

WhoDatPhan78

Definitely not part of the deep state.
Reaction score
I think the same type of question could be asked of California. As of right now, there are more Latinos in California, than any other ethnic group. Plus, with the open migration with Mexico, and net migration out of native Californians, it's basically an international state at this point.

There is a global push to make Canada, U.S., and Mexico one political area. I believe they have a currency in the making called, the Amero. Welcome to the New World Order.
Ethnicity and nationality aren't the same.

A person born in California to Mexican parents is a native Californian.

There isn't really any other way to interpret the perspective you describe in the above post than racist.

Last edited:

JimEverett

More than 15K posts served!
Reaction score
Congratulations Canada on reaching 1 million in population!

Reaction score

There isn't really any other way to interpret the perspective you describe in the above post than racist.
All people are created in God's image. If someone is Christian, it's against the faith to hate or be racist. Just want to say to WhoDatPhan, may God bless you.

Oye

shopgirl's metaphysic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score

I'm trying to ask if there's more to it than "where Latino people are in considerable numbers cannot also be America" - and it seems a pretty reasonable question given the initial post - but there's been nothing concrete in the way of a response

Reaction score
I'm trying to ask if there's more to it than "where Latino people are in considerable numbers cannot also be America" - and it seems a pretty reasonable question given the initial post - but there's been nothing concrete in the way of a response

Tell what have I posted, that would prompted that question? Look, I got stuff to do, please hurry up with the Salem Witch Trial!

Answer your question, I will respond, if I agree with you.

P.S. Oye, you never said, that you ever lived or visited California.....

By the way, you miss quoted me big time.

Well, I'm going onto other threads in 1....2....3.....

Last edited:

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Did I?

you typed:

I wrote:

that's "miss quoting [sic] big time"? You said that it would be considered "international" (i.e. not America) because there were so many "Latinos" (Latino people in considerable numbers) further dwarfing the "native Californians" (a problematic phrase, itself, but I set that aside) who have "migrated out." I genuinely thought - and still do - that I was pretty close to what you initially wrote.

Then, I asked if you meant illegals, and you didn't reply. I asked if you meant Los Angeles, instead, and you didn't reply.

And yes, I've been to California. And no, I didn't feel - at any point - that I was not in America. There are enclaves of cultures coast to coast that feature visible minorities, "ethnic" groups, and so on - and they are just as much "America" as anywhere else. In fact, the very reality that all of these places can be "America" as much as another place is part of what makes America so great, so unique in many aspects.

Little Havana is America. Chinatown is America. I lived in southwest Houston for years and there was a strong Vietnamese presence. That's America, too. West Memphis also America. Areas where visible minorities or "ethnic" groups, not just Latinos, dominate the demographics can also be America.

Maybe this thread has more utility in defining what constitutes "American" or "America"
How about “New England”?

JimEverett

More than 15K posts served!
Reaction score
I am not criticizing the USA, but its weird how little we know about our two neighbors: Canada and Mexico.

WhoDatPhan78

Definitely not part of the deep state.
Reaction score
All people are created in God's image. If someone is Christian, it's against the faith to hate or be racist. Just want to say to WhoDatPhan, may God bless you.
I guess that's why Jesus died on the cross. All Christians sin.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Saints Headlines (The Advocate)

Headlines

Top Bottom