As Americans, is it accurate to consider Canada an international country? (1 Viewer)

Saintman2884

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Sticky Post
I apologize to those who, upon seeing this for the first time, believe this is a silly and stupid statement for a thread, but to me while Canada is a foreign country outside our borders, it doesn't strike me as being an international type country for many Americans who in more than a two dozen states, Canadian border is just 30 minutes to a several hours drive away from their front doors. International is a term that to me means a highly-anticipated, very long distance travel by air, sea, or land over the course of 10-12 hours or a day or two to arrive there, like traveling from NY to Tokyo, or Beijing, Moscow, London's Heathrow, Paris, Berlin, Copenhagen, Oslo, Rome, Istanbul, etc. I realize in the context of living in the American Deep South, traveling to most Canadian cities might present a more expensive, logistical challenge and longer travel time for me then those living in the Northeast, Upper Midwest, Upper Plain States, Montana, Idaho, PNW or Alaska. But even for someone like me, making travel plans to go and spend time in Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa, NS, or Quebec doesn't seem as big or as unrealistic in terms of feasibility as an American compared to traveling to UK, France, or Germany, or Greece.

For millions of Americans, Canada might as well as be the next state over especially if you live in Boston, Buffalo, Detroit, Minneapolis-St. Paul, Seattle, Rochester, Cleveland, Pittsburgh or Massula, Montana.

I pose the same question to Canadian posters on SR, especially those living in cities right on or within relatively close distance to US border like Ottawa, Toronto, Windsor, Ontario, Vancouver, BC, do you consider the US an international country or just a big, huge foreign country to the south of you?

Madmarsha

Love this team!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I'm unclear still. Is a passport/card required to pass over the Canadian border by car/on foot? I get that it is for plane travel but got conflicting Google searches. So, yeah, it's always been a "whole other country"; but in this post 911 world, a LOT of things changed for people who don't travel a lot. I didn't know there was now such a thing as a passport card that started in 2008 till a couple years ago (I now carry mine in my wallet just as an extra form of ID just in case I decide to drive to Canadaa on a whim).

Goatman Saint

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I think the same type of question could be asked of California. As of right now, there are more Latinos in California, than any other ethnic group. Plus, with the open migration with Mexico, and net migration out of native Californians, it's basically an international state at this point.

There is a global push to make Canada, U.S., and Mexico one political area. I believe they have a currency in the making called, the Amero. Welcome to the New World Order.
What are you talking about? I’ve lived here for 25 years and have no frigging idea what you are talking about. Until the 1820’s this state was a part of Mexico and your native Californians were what is considered now Latino. As far as the racial makeup of this state it has always been very multiracial and multinational. Chinese brought for the railroads. Irish for the mining and railroads Japanese for farming. I could go on.

Now your idea of a Latino is interesting. Because they are brown? Because at some point there was some Latino in their background? Are whites only following Klan rules? Very few native people to this state aren’t mixed race at some point. Yeah whites are now the majority minority, but really just because someone is brownish, or has Hispanic blood doesn’t mean they don’t fit into American culture.

livefromDC

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Please visit California. Don't you think first hand knowledge is the best? Have you ever lived there? See what it's like. When is the last time you been to California? Have you ever been there? Once you answer these questions, you will know what to investigate.
What will our eyes tell us?

TheMike62987

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
Tell what have I posted, that would prompted that question? Look, I got stuff to do, please hurry up with the Salem Witch Trial!

Answer your question, I will respond, if I agree with you.

P.S. Oye, you never said, that you ever lived or visited California.....

By the way, you miss quoted me big time.

Well, I'm going onto other threads in 1....2....3.....
https://tenor.com/view/the-matrix-matrix-agent-dodging-bullets-bullets-gif-4019229

An accurate depiction of you dodging any and all questions that would help clarify exactly what your original comment means.

Attachments

Goatman Saint

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I’d also like to point out that the flight out of California has been a lot of the Hispanic lower income people as it has gotten to be prohibitively hard to make a living in this state off low wage manual labor. The people who used to work in the fields, work in the restaurants, do custodial, mostly left to the south where there are a lot of shipping hubs and demands for work and where the pay/cost of living ratio isn’t as bad as here.

Clarkey

32 Years and Counting...
Reaction score
I'm unclear still. Is a passport/card required to pass over the Canadian border by car/on foot? I get that it is for plane travel but got conflicting Google searches. So, yeah, it's always been a "whole other country"; but in this post 911 world, a LOT of things changed for people who don't travel a lot. I didn't know there was now such a thing as a passport card that started in 2008 till a couple years ago (I now carry mine in my wallet just as an extra form of ID just in case I decide to drive to Canadaa on a whim).
Google searches can often be problematic; YOUR search results can be different than mine, and they're often "customized" based on your search/website history. Even then the sources may not be accurate...

Here's the Canadian government's website - you can trust this source:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1116&top=16

(Yes, you'll need a passport...)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Saints Headlines (Official Site)

Top Bottom