As I suggested a few weeks ago, Dorsey may slide in the draft...Gil Brandt believes so.. (1 Viewer)

It brings to mind the year when Warren Sapp was drafted, 1995. He was highly touted as a top 5 pick, but slid to the #12 spot on a rumor that he flunked a drug test. Tampa Bay reaped the benefits of that scenario.

Defensive Tackles have been draft day sliders ever since the 2002 and 2003 debacles. Teams have gotten a little gun shy. In fact, the highest any DT has gone since 2003 was Amobi Okoye last year at #10.

So I wouldn't be suprised to see LT Jake Long, DE Chris Long, and any number of QBs depending on team needs and trades go before Dorsey.

But I Dorsey isn't going to slip out of the Top 5 in my opinion unless some sort of chronic injury problem is discovered (like what happened with Alan Branch last year).

He won't sniff anywhere near the #10 pick. Something would have to seriously go wrong for him.

Crazy scenarios would have to work themselves out, maybe something like this:

Dolphins: DE/LB Chris Long
Rams: LT Jake Long
Raiders: RB Darren McFadden
Falcons: QB Matt Ryan
Chiefs: LT Ryan Clady
Jets: DE/LB Vernon Gholston
Patriots: Trade down likely with Dorsey still here or LB James Laurenitis or DB Malcolm Jenkins
Ravens: Trade down with a team like the Saints likely with Dorsey still here. Or an offensive player.
Bengals: Probably would take Ellis or Dorsey.
Saints: Leftovers.

Isn't that just the scenario I provided above? :dunno:

Brandt actually plays both sides of the fence in the article.. :shrug:

I agree and I think it is because these guys never like to be wrong. It's kind of like Mel Kiper who will do a gazillion different mocks with different players going in the top 10 so that we can cover his basis and say that he had this guy going to such and such team way back in January. Yes, you did Mel, and you also had several other guys going to the same team. And I like Mel, but I notice that draft experts tend to make sure they do not state anything was 100% fact.

I agree and I think it is because these guys never like to be wrong. It's kind of like Mel Kiper who will do a gazillion different mocks with different players going in the top 10 so that we can cover his basis and say that he had this guy going to such and such team way back in January. Yes, you did Mel, and you also had several other guys going to the same team. And I like Mel, but I notice that draft experts tend to make sure they do not state anything was 100% fact.

:plus-un2:

Isn't that just the scenario I provided above? :dunno:

I don't read long paragraphs at work. It's quicker to get away with surfing the net by skimming through articles and posts when they are outlined.

Even if his knee didn't check out, we could take him; sign him, and then give him a sort of "red-shirt" year where he would be on the team but inactive all season.

Stranger things have happened.

hell we did it with Meachem why not Dorsey

I just do not see him being there at #10 but if he is then something bad has happened and we may want to rethink him as well.

T

So many things can and will happen between now and the draft, who knows.
But, if Dorsey is there the Saints must take him. And if Dorsey is there, I think the Saints will take him. He's everything that Payton likes in a player, he plays hard, plays hurt, is a team first guy, and a model citizen.

I don't read long paragraphs at work. It's quicker to get away with surfing the net by skimming through articles and posts when they are outlined.

That's cool, I understand fully.

At number 10 he would definitely be worth the injury risk. We've had mixed results from these picks with injury concerns, but for the most part have done well. Meachem is the question mark. Jammal Brown and Deuce, when healthy, have been great. But they've all missed games due to their injuries.

BTW - well thought out first post, RCM.

So many things can and will happen between now and the draft, who knows.
But, if Dorsey is there the Saints must take him. And if Dorsey is there, I think the Saints will take him. He's everything that Payton likes in a player, he plays hard, plays hurt, is a team first guy, and a model citizen.

I agree. One if the best things I seen lastnight came in the second quarter with LSU leading. After one play, Gary Beckwith was arguing with one of the offensive lineman from Ohio State. Dorsey immediately step in, pulled Beckwith away as to simply tell him let's not do anything stupid that might draw a penalty and cost us. Dorsey's just a leader and a good guy to have on your team.

At number 10 he would definitely be worth the injury risk. We've had mixed results from these picks with injury concerns, but for the most part have done well. Meachem is the question mark. Jammal Brown and Deuce, when healthy, have been great. But they've all missed games due to their injuries.

BTW - well thought out first post, RCM.

Thanks Soggy!

Guys, Atlanta doesn't even have a GM or head coach right now, neither do the Ravens or the Dolphins... there are so many variables to consider between now and April.

Teams can make trades for picks, they could lose free agents, tope prospects can flunk the combine/interviews, needs can change...

Realchrism has a totally realistic senario based on information as of right now. If Dorsey slides because of a knee, it would be from being the 1st DT taken to perhaps the 2nd. Where that may be all depends on the needs of the teams in front of the Saints.

Yes, there is the possibility of a team trading up, but who has the ammo to do so? Who has multiple day 1 picks? Worry about the trades as they happen.

Last year, Brady Quinn was a top 5 pick, Greg Olsen was supposed to be gone in the teens, and Robert Meachem was the #2 receiver on most draft boards.

The Poz was supposed to be a 1st rounder, and he fell to the top of the 2nd.

A lot can change between now and then.

In many ways, the Dorsey situation reminds me of what happened to Tommie Harris. Harris dropped in the draft to #16 because he was injured for part of his senior campaign and scouts begin to second guess him. His performance against LSU in the Sugar Bowl (BCS Championship game) was not his greatest and his stock dropped. We do not know if Dorsey will drop, but if he does, we have to make a move to get him. As Droopy said, he's the best player available and we should get him if we get that opportunity.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom