As much as it burns me up.... (1 Viewer)

King Mello

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
we have to understand.. this is a saints franchise that has done nothing but lose and be inconsistant in the past... its going to take awhile for people to actually feel comfortable and safe with saying the Saints are playoff or super bowl bound.. some may find it easier that others (merill(sp?) hodge) but overall once you have been branded with a stigma like ours, it takes a helluva lot to change it.. so i kno u cant help yourselves to get mad over it cause i do it constantly but cut em some slack.. we know what we're capable of, eventually we'll disprove all doubters but for right now enjoy the ride and use these idiots as fuel... cause when reggie has his breakout game (this weekend i believe) and brees is the MVP and we're in the NFC title game as the leaders of our division.. they'll all be questioning themselves as so called "sports analyst".. and we'll be flying high.. LETS GET EM SAINTS!!!

we have to understand.. this is a saints franchise that has done nothing but lose and be inconsistant in the past... its going to take awhile for people to actually feel comfortable and safe with saying the Saints are playoff or super bowl bound.. some may find it easier that others (merill(sp?) hodge) but overall once you have been branded with a stigma like ours, it takes a helluva lot to change it.. so i kno u cant help yourselves to get mad over it cause i do it constantly but cut em some slack.. we know what we're capable of, eventually we'll disprove all doubters but for right now enjoy the ride and use these idiots as fuel... cause when reggie has his breakout game (this weekend i believe) and brees is the MVP and we're in the NFC title game as the leaders of our division.. they'll all be questioning themselves as so called "sports analyst".. and we'll be flying high.. LETS GET EM SAINTS!!!

I agree. We burned Shaun Salisbury many many times during the Haslett years.

He would talk us up as a contender and pick us and then we would proceed to come out an lay an egg.

Fool me once...

I agree. We burned Shaun Salisbury many many times during the Haslett years.

He would talk us up as a contender and pick us and then we would proceed to come out an lay an egg.

Fool me once...

exaaactly... it has nothing to do with our new coaching staff or our newly aquired players or anything like that... it has to do with the reputation as a franchise..

Well, I respectfully disagree with this.
The problem I think that many fans have is that the generalizations don't seem to apply to the Saints. For example, one of the main topics of discussion amongst NFL pundits and fans alike, is parity in the NFL, and the notion that now, any team can be good and win it all - within a short period of time - from year to year even. However, this notion does not apply to the Saints?
The thing today is that teams like the Steelers who are not living up to the expectations of others are still "good" 2-6 teams. What??? The last time I checked, 2-6 is 2-6, I don't care what names are on the roster.

It was OK when the Bengals turned it around over the past couple of years.
It's OK that many thought that Arizona would challenge Seattle and St. Louis for the West division, the past two years.
It was OK for the Bucs to turn it around and win the SB after being terrible for long.
But for some reason, it's not OK that the Saints, after going 3-13, are sitting at the top of a division that belongs to the Panthers every year from now to 2060 + infinity, and are on the verge of having a great season. It's not right - virtually impossible, and messes up their pre-conceived notions and pre-written bad-mouthing of our team. They actually have to write something different now, you know, do some work for a change.

So, while I don't really participate in the bashing of sports analysts, I certainly understand fellow Saints' fans who have issues with them.

Well, I respectfully disagree with this.
The problem I think that many fans have is that the generalizations don't seem to apply to the Saints. For example, one of the main topics of discussion amongst NFL pundits and fans alike, is parity in the NFL, and the notion that now, any team can be good and win it all - within a short period of time - from year to year even. However, this notion does not apply to the Saints?
The thing today is that teams like the Steelers who are not living up to the expectations of others are still "good" 2-6 teams. What??? The last time I checked, 2-6 is 2-6, I don't care what names are on the roster.

It was OK when the Bengals turned it around over the past couple of years.
It's OK that many thought that Arizona would challenge Seattle and St. Louis for the West division, the past two years.
It was OK for the Bucs to turn it around and win the SB after being terrible for long.
But for some reason, it's not OK that the Saints, after going 3-13, are sitting at the top of a division that belongs to the Panthers every year from now to 2060 + infinity, and are on the verge of having a great season. It's not right - virtually impossible, and messes up their pre-conceived notions and pre-written bad-mouthing of our team. They actually have to write something different now, you know, do some work for a change.

So, while I don't really participate in the bashing of sports analysts, I certainly understand fellow Saints' fans who have issues with them.

see thats the point, in the past many.. many people have picked the Saints to go out and have that "dream" season... at one point i even remember hearing one analyst say we had one of the most talented teams in the league... but year after year, we let everyone down and manage to have the same mediocre season we always have.. so its hard to put trust in a team that has let you down so many times if your not a die-hard fan... and honestly it took awhile for people to give the bengals they're just glory..

see thats the point, in the past many.. many people have picked the Saints to go out and have that "dream" season... at one point i even remember hearing one analyst say we had one of the most talented teams in the league... but year after year, we let everyone down and manage to have the same mediocre season we always have.. so its hard to put trust in a team that has let you down so many times if your not a die-hard fan... and honestly it took awhile for people to give the bengals they're just glory..

I understand that - but the point that I am trying to make is this: if you are going to make general statements that any team can do well in the draft and in free agency, and make a run the next year - then this should apply to all 32 teams, not 31. Moreover, it did not take a while for the analysts to give the Bengals their due.... when Marvin Lewis took them to a respectable 8-8 in his second (?) season, they were expected to do well the following season, and were praised for going 8-8.
I don't care if eveyone picked against us every week, but I think that many Saints fans who do care about that are wondering what else their team has to do to be viewed in the same light as other NFL franchises, especially with catch phrases being thrown around such as "any given Sunday".

I think you see a syndrome in the national media that mirrors the syndrome among some Saints fans.

Everybody knows someone in New Orleans that has an irrational hatred of the Saints or just a generally negative attitude. Why?

Because they have been hurt so many times.

I think it is going to be the same with the pundits until the team proves otherwise by actually performing -- meeting or exceeding expectations.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom