As much as it pains for me to say this... We should re-sign Tre'Quan Smith. (1 Viewer)

It all comes down to money. I don’t see TQS and his stats demanding 2.5M/yr money from other teams. If we can sign him to #3 WR money 1.3-1.7M/yr, then fine. If he walks, so be it.
I don't see 22 catches @ 350 yards a year demanding a damn thing...anything regarding TQS and further NFL employment should be referred to as "begging for" as opposed to "demanding".

The biggest example for keeping him is PJ Williams and that keeping depth with upside is always better than nothing.

PJ Williams had his best season as a Saint and if Smith stays around and continues to improve. He should be a solid depth guy for years to come on the cheap.

He's affordable. He's young with a ton if talent and upside.

I still have beef with him never being available when you need him the most. If he's good 400 yards and a few TDs. He's a good WR3 or WR4 that you gotta keep.
Keep him if the price is right. But if he wants money commensurate with his draft position, let him walk.

I like him, but his injury issues greatly affect his value, imo.

I would rather not see him back on our team. I refuse to see us lower our standards on a guy who’s biggest compliments is that he knows the playbook, can block, and is better minimum cheap. #loweredexpectations
I was going to say keep em until i read this... and completely agree. Looking at other teams with 2-3 superstars at that position, and our best reciever is a ST returner... is 💯 unacceptable.

You guys are acting like he's costing 5 million a year.

The man has made an average of 850,000 a year over the last 4 seasons.

And he will count $954,267 against the cap next year if he's here or not.

I'd rather have him at the vet minimum (which will be 1.035 million a year) as our 4th or 5th receiver than brining in someone else's vet minimum who's not familiar with the system.

I'd rather have him at the vet minimum (which will be 1.035 million a year) as our 4th or 5th receiver than brining in someone else's vet minimum who's not familiar with the system.

Is there any reason to believe that Easop Winston or LJH, or even a UDFA cannot reproduce his production, and be available for more games, and possibly have more upside?

Is there any reason to believe that Easop Winston or LJH, or even a UDFA cannot reproduce his production, and be available for more games, and possibly have more upside?

Easop Winson who is only a year younger than Smith and has 1 catch for 5 yards to his name.

Lil'Jordan Humphrey did seem to be getting it towards the end of the year but he's 16 catches for 295 yards in three seasons and made practically the same amount of money as Smith last year (850,000).

I say bring them all back and whoever makes it makes it.

He has a very high Quarterback rating on passes thrown to him. This year it was 98.4. Past years with Brees its been 120 or so.

He also caught 64 percent of passes thrown his way. After rough start he was on pace to catch 53-55 passes over full season.

TQS career QB rating on passes thrown to him is 114. To put that in context on passes thrown to M.T the QB Rating is 118.

Last edited:
If he signs for 2 Kool-Aid pouches and a bag of chips I'm down. He can eat those while he's on the training table again. If he hasn't been hurt then he's been inconsistent.

In 4 years he has 112 receptions for 1,486 yards and 17 TDs. That's less than 30 catches per season, less than 400 yards per season and 4.25 TDs per season in 51 games.

That's not hard to replace. His blocking is what will be sorely missed. He's an average NFL receiver with durability issues and spotty play. He has the potential to be better than that, but 4 years haven't proven that yet.

Last edited:
As much as I would disagree with it, I think we re-sign Jameis and TQS, sign Kwon and Williams and let Armstead walk and then we draft Ikem Ekwonu in the first round. 2nd round we go after a receiver. I'll be a homer and say that I want Dontario Drummond in one of the later rounds, he's a beast to bring down and I think he'll make a good transition to the pro game

We should definitely resign him, because it'll be cheap and he knows our system. But we still need to shore up the position, his health can't be relied on.

Some of you put way too much emphasis on being “familiar with our system”. Yes, the system and terminology is really complex. However, IF a person is truly dedicated, then they would study their tails off to get it down. Guys like Kevin White can come in, get a firm grasp on the playbook, but can’t catch a cold. Guys like Lil Jordan can get the playbook, but lacks the physical tools to be a big contributor. I look at TQS and I see nothing special. He’s supposed to have good/great speed. He’s a flat footed slow plodder. Looks like he’s running in cement. He’s a good blocker. Ok, but we also need him to be a playmaker. I’ve been the biggest TQS non-believer for years now. There has been numerous times when we needed him to step up…..nothing. How in the world, can a #1 WR spot open, in our offense, and our 3rd rd pick can not even remotely grab a hold on it? I really hate bagging on our players, it pains me to do it, but he is not what this offense needs. There has been no progress with him, only regression. Why on Earth would we want to see him back on our team? If you are telling yourself that you want him back on a vet minimum contract, then he has not even come close to any realistic expectation that we had for him. How much more can we continue to lower the bar for him? Even a vet minimum is not worth it. We need to get back to attacking defenses from all angles.

Easop Winson who is only a year younger than Smith and has 1 catch for 5 yards to his name.

Lil'Jordan Humphrey did seem to be getting it towards the end of the year but he's 16 catches for 295 yards in three seasons and made practically the same amount of money as Smith last year (850,000).

I say bring them all back and whoever makes it makes it.

I expect the top 4 WRs to be MT, Draft pick, Callaway, and Harris. And, you can expect Harris to miss a few games. Easop Winston has already proven to be good on special teams. I can see him taking the 5th spot. And, I don't see TQS getting any better. I think that the best you can hope for with TQS is that he's more available than years past. Last year, LJH had maybe the best hands of all the receivers, and seemed to be improving at the end of the season. Who knows what his ceiling is. I don't know what his blocking is like, but I can see him filling a Brandon Coleman type role. Unless TQS plays special teams, it's going to be hard for him to make the team at #5.

Well, it makes happy to see that I'm not the only that has beef with Smith.
I expect the top 4 WRs to be MT, Draft pick, Callaway, and Harris. And, you can expect Harris to miss a few games. Easop Winston has already proven to be good on special teams. I can see him taking the 5th spot. And, I don't see TQS getting any better. I think that the best you can hope for with TQS is that he's more available than years past. Last year, LJH had maybe the best hands of all the receivers, and seemed to be improving at the end of the season. Who knows what his ceiling is. I don't know what his blocking is like, but I can see him filling a Brandon Coleman type role. Unless TQS plays special teams, it's going to be hard for him to make the team at #5.
TQS is still a better WR than Callaway and it's very apparent.

Well, it makes happy to see that I'm not the only that has beef with Smith.

TQS is still a better WR than Callaway and it's very apparent.

Callaway had almost double the production of TQS. There are some games where that's correct. Besides availability, TQS is hot and cold. He's had some pretty good games, but he also disappears for games at a time, which is fine for a #4 or #5. I can see the Saints bringing him back. But, I'd like to have a backup for Harris on special teams so if it's between TQS and Easop Winston, I'm sticking with Easop Winston.

Callaway had almost double the production of TQS. There are some games where that's correct. Besides availability, TQS is hot and cold. He's had some pretty good games, but he also disappears for games at a time, which is fine for a #4 or #5. I can see the Saints bringing him back. But, I'd like to have a backup for Harris on special teams so if it's between TQS and Easop Winston, I'm sticking with Easop Winston.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom