As much as it pains for me to say this... We should re-sign Tre'Quan Smith. (1 Viewer)

No2DC

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Outside of my hope for us to select a WR high in the draft, I think it's critical that the WR/TE group is improved significantly. It's nothing personal against TQS, but we only have one guy on our roster that demands double coverage or who can beat the top corner on any team (and he was hurt).

JvilleJoe

Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
If we can keep Smith for veteran minimum to compete I am all for that. I must say that I don't really have any expectation of him, however, if we can sign him cheap just maybe the light will come on and his injury history turns around!

sfidc3

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Thanks for bringing up Austin carr. Couldn’t remember his name, but TQS is Carr 2.0 or the Andy (let’s keep bringing him back) tanner.

You really couldn't be more wrong in comparing the 2....by all accounts Carr has been healthy through his very minimal production of the last few years.

TQS has put up numbers in some games but just has not been able to stay healthy, and I agree that it is a legit point to argue in favor of letting him walk....but healthy? He is a legit NFL WR.....

St. Widge

Socially Distant
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The problem is when you bring in udfa scrubs to complete with him, he wins by knowing the playbook. TQS competing with udfa is like MT competing against TQS. No challenge.

He’s a low end #4, 5 WR and he’s being used like a #2,3 WR. That’s how much we’ve neglected the receiving corps. I get COVID games, but even prior to that. I get it’s not his fault he’s being put in that position, but the idea of settling because he can do his secondary job in blocking while underperforming his primary role at WR. Ugh!

Who said anything about only bringing in udfa scrubs to compete with him? I'm saying bring in a high draft pick or two and a mid-level free agent WR and then see who makes the team. Keeping TQS does not stop the team from doing that. I don't see why you think because he would be on the team we would need to "settle" for udfa rookies as TQS's only competition. The point would be that TQS would be the floor of your talent level at receiver 4/5 with the hope that one of the draft picks or a mid-level free agent WR would be better and improve the team.

Clintonrebel

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Why would that pain you? We have 51 other players to compare the pain to. He is not the weakest link.

Reaction score
U keep him cause he makes for good depth. He’s still young, n knows the system. He can block n give u 30-35 catches, 400 yds n 3-4 TDs. He’ll come fairly cheap, so money shouldn’t b an issue.

So yeah, keep him

Mojomajik9

Team Gleason
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
I’m not going to be upset either way but I lean towards keeping him for depth purposes. No the team should not ride into next season with this same WR corp and expect a different result. Ideally they bring in high draft picks snd quality FAs and make TQS, Callaway and Humphrey earn their roles. But having TQS isn’t bad if he’s your 4 or 5 receiver. He’s flashed a little here and there and he may just be a late bloomer. But if he’s not and he is who he is he’s still an acceptable #4 guy.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest SaintsReport Originals

Utopia Draft: The Saints' Ideal (Realistic) Scenario
By Dan Levy - posted 4/28/2022

Sea Change: Taysom Hill's "New" Role and What it Means for the Saints
By Dan Levy - posted 4/06/2022

Q&A: AMA (Ask Me Anything) with Dan Levy
5/8/22 | 4/20/22

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines