As much as it pains for me to say this... We should re-sign Tre'Quan Smith. (1 Viewer)

The problem is when you bring in udfa scrubs to complete with him, he wins by knowing the playbook. TQS competing with udfa is like MT competing against TQS. No challenge.

He’s a low end #4, 5 WR and he’s being used like a #2,3 WR. That’s how much we’ve neglected the receiving corps. I get COVID games, but even prior to that. I get it’s not his fault he’s being put in that position, but the idea of settling because he can do his secondary job in blocking while underperforming his primary role at WR. Ugh!

Everyone here that is saying keep him is saying keep him as a #4 or 5 no one is here saying the WR position is set as is. No ones under the delusion that we need to go into 2022 with Smith as the #2 guy.

I’ll contend that he’s not effective at the X, Y, or Z. He’s just not good enough at any of those positions and that’s the issue. SP is a mastermind at creating mismatches. TQS is not a mismatch at any position. He’s a mismatch when the opposing team has a brain fart and leaves him wide open, but that’s about it. Every game I literally forget that he’s on the team until I see him in uniform and that’s even if he’s healthy enough to be in uniform. Sometimes you have to cut your losses and move on. It says a lot about him when UDFAs produce more than him.

You're right. He can only make catches when the defense has a brain fart leaving him open.

I fully expect Tre'quan to be on our roster next year. There's nothing wrong with his game. He plays a specific role in Sean Payton's offense. Big, physical, receiver that can block down-field and make tough contested catches for first downs and in the redzone. That's a real role in SP's offense. He probably even has a specific name for that role. Think about it. We've had a receiver on the roster every season for the past decade who fit that description. TQS has played that role as good or better than any of them.

The problem with him is and has always been his availability. If the Saints move on from him, THAT will be the reason. Not lack of talent or lack of production. Speaking of production... I'd bet that if Tre'quan played all 17 games this year with Jameis at QB and Michael Thomas starting every game, His stats would look something like 60 catches, 750 yards, and 8 TDs. Instead, he missed 6 full games, with our WR1 out the entire season, and with 4 different starting QBs. Our offense needed more than our WR3/4 having WR2 numbers. It needed our true #1 WR on the field, a healthy OL, and a QB playing enough games to develop chemistry with the receivers and overall consistency.

Like I said, there's nothing wrong with Tre'quan's "game", other than the fact that he's not and never will be a WR1 and he played on a team that broke the all-time NFL record for starters in a season. We had a BAD offense this year. THAT's not on TQS. That's more to blame on historically bad luck than anything.

That being said, we absolutely need a WR2 that's talented enough to be our WR1 at times, who could eventually develop into our WR1 someday. We didn't have that on our team this year. We had several good WR3/WR4 types that were asked to do the impossible on an offense that was simply missing too many pieces to do much more than they did.

I fully expect Tre'quan to be on our roster next year. There's nothing wrong with his game. He plays a specific role in Sean Payton's offense. Big, physical, receiver that can block down-field and make tough contested catches for first downs and in the redzone. That's a real role in SP's offense. He probably even has a specific name for that role. Think about it. We've had a receiver on the roster every season for the past decade who fit that description. TQS has played that role as good or better than any of them.

The problem with him is and has always been his availability. If the Saints move on from him, THAT will be the reason. Not lack of talent or lack of production. Speaking of production... I'd bet that if Tre'quan played all 17 games this year with Jameis at QB and Michael Thomas starting every game, His stats would look something like 60 catches, 750 yards, and 8 TDs. Instead, he missed 6 full games, with our WR1 out the entire season, and with 4 different starting QBs. Our offense needed more than our WR3/4 having WR2 numbers. It needed our true #1 WR on the field, a healthy OL, and a QB playing enough games to develop chemistry with the receivers and overall consistency.

Like I said, there's nothing wrong with Tre'quan's "game", other than the fact that he's not and never will be a WR1 and he played on a team that broke the all-time NFL record for starters in a season. We had a BAD offense this year. THAT's not on TQS. That's more to blame on historically bad luck than anything.

That being said, we absolutely need a WR2 that's talented enough to be our WR1 at times, who could eventually develop into our WR1 someday. We didn't have that on our team this year. We had several good WR3/WR4 types that were asked to do the impossible on an offense that was simply missing too many pieces to do much more than they did.

This post just just be stickied somewhere for reference when discussing TQS. CSP's entire offense is built on players who have roles and the best the offense performed was when we had the basketball team of WRs, everyone had a role.

Outside of my hope for us to select a WR high in the draft, I think it's critical that the WR/TE group is improved significantly. It's nothing personal against TQS, but we only have one guy on our roster that demands double coverage or who can beat the top corner on any team (and he was hurt).

If we can keep Smith for veteran minimum to compete I am all for that. I must say that I don't really have any expectation of him, however, if we can sign him cheap just maybe the light will come on and his injury history turns around!

Thanks for bringing up Austin carr. Couldn’t remember his name, but TQS is Carr 2.0 or the Andy (let’s keep bringing him back) tanner.

You really couldn't be more wrong in comparing the 2....by all accounts Carr has been healthy through his very minimal production of the last few years.

TQS has put up numbers in some games but just has not been able to stay healthy, and I agree that it is a legit point to argue in favor of letting him walk....but healthy? He is a legit NFL WR.....

The problem is when you bring in udfa scrubs to complete with him, he wins by knowing the playbook. TQS competing with udfa is like MT competing against TQS. No challenge.

He’s a low end #4, 5 WR and he’s being used like a #2,3 WR. That’s how much we’ve neglected the receiving corps. I get COVID games, but even prior to that. I get it’s not his fault he’s being put in that position, but the idea of settling because he can do his secondary job in blocking while underperforming his primary role at WR. Ugh!

Who said anything about only bringing in udfa scrubs to compete with him? I'm saying bring in a high draft pick or two and a mid-level free agent WR and then see who makes the team. Keeping TQS does not stop the team from doing that. I don't see why you think because he would be on the team we would need to "settle" for udfa rookies as TQS's only competition. The point would be that TQS would be the floor of your talent level at receiver 4/5 with the hope that one of the draft picks or a mid-level free agent WR would be better and improve the team.

Why would that pain you? We have 51 other players to compare the pain to. He is not the weakest link.

U keep him cause he makes for good depth. He’s still young, n knows the system. He can block n give u 30-35 catches, 400 yds n 3-4 TDs. He’ll come fairly cheap, so money shouldn’t b an issue.

So yeah, keep him

I’m not going to be upset either way but I lean towards keeping him for depth purposes. No the team should not ride into next season with this same WR corp and expect a different result. Ideally they bring in high draft picks snd quality FAs and make TQS, Callaway and Humphrey earn their roles. But having TQS isn’t bad if he’s your 4 or 5 receiver. He’s flashed a little here and there and he may just be a late bloomer. But if he’s not and he is who he is he’s still an acceptable #4 guy.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom