As of the Bunkley restructure the Saints cap number is that they are... (1 Viewer)

NFL sets 2013 salary cap at $123M, up from $120.6M - NFL.com

link for the $900k Player Minimum Salary Benefit. (not sure how/when that applies though).

That allows you to retain veterans at a young players minimum. That is, the vet minimum is like $950k while the rookie minimum is, I don't know, $405k? The veteran minimum salary benefit is applied to such vets to reduce their minimum to a near rookie minimum.

This gives marginal vets a better chance of sticking in the NFL instead of automatically being cut in favor of cheaper rookies.

Generally it's used mostly in season for injury replacements.

I'm sure we'll see soon if Vilma and Smith accept lesser Salaries. IMO, Roman Harper should be a considered candidate as well to either restructure or accept less.
Well, I can promise you that Smith, Vilma and Harper will definitely make less money this year. They will take a cut or take a walk. With $1 million to go, the Saints will be far under the cap this year.

Anyone who is a Saints fan knew this would happen as soon as Payton announced the change to a 3-4 defense. That's going to require acquiring personnel other than the people currently under contract. You need room to do that.

Loomis is making it happen.

So roughly $1M to go with some replacements/resigning as well. Seems like a lot of work but within Loomis wheelhouse.

List of Free Agents which will presumably (I am totally guessing) be replaced or resigned as players also counting against the cap (I presume...please correct me if wrong)....

Jermon Bushrod T
Jonathan Casillas LB
Chase Daniel QB
Brian De La Puente C
Justin Drescher C
Sedrick Ellis DT
Junior Galette DE
Devery Henderson WR
Nick Hixon CB (presumably below the 51)
Ramon Humber LB
Chris Ivory RB
Elbert Mack CB
Turk McBride DE
William Robinson T (presumably below the 51)
Courtney Roby WR
Scott Shanle LB
David Thomas TE (partially listed against cap)

We will need
2 mill for DLP tender at 2nd round level
2 mill for Ivory tender
2 mill for Galette tender but he's probably getting a bridge deal like colston did

The rest are expendable.......

So roughly $1M to go with some replacements/resigning as well. Seems like a lot of work but within Loomis wheelhouse.

List of Free Agents which will presumably (I am totally guessing) be replaced or resigned as players also counting against the cap (I presume...please correct me if wrong)....

Jermon Bushrod T
Jonathan Casillas LB
Chase Daniel QB
Brian De La Puente C
Justin Drescher C
Sedrick Ellis DT
Junior Galette DE
Devery Henderson WR
Nick Hixon CB (presumably below the 51)
Ramon Humber LB
Chris Ivory RB
Elbert Mack CB
Turk McBride DE
William Robinson T (presumably below the 51)
Courtney Roby WR
Scott Shanle LB
David Thomas TE (partially listed against cap)

Resign Bushrod for 5 year $27 million deal and move him to right tackle.
Resign Casillas as a back-up ILB and special teams beast.
Resign Chase Daniel.
Resign De la Puente to multi-year deal.
Resign Drescher good chemistry with Morestead.
Resign Galette to 3 year $12 million deal and let him tear it up on the outside.
Give Ivory the 2nd round tender and let him play it out and see what happens. I doubt anyone gives up a 2nd for him. I hope we keep him and let Sean work his backfield magic. I'm a big Ivory supporter.
Resign Elbert Mack as a potential dime back. He looked pretty good at the end of last season.
Resign Courtney Roby. Perfect ST gunner and return man insurance. Will come on the cheap.
Resign Robinson. He looked good in that single quarter of action lol.

Let Humber, Hixon, Shanle, McBride, Henderson, and Ellis walk.
Sign 2-3 more moderately priced free agents and then the draft.

We're a lot more stacked then many around here think
SEAN PAYTON IS BACK
Things are looking up..knock on wood

Resign Bushrod for 5 year $27 million deal and move him to right tackle.
Resign Casillas as a back-up ILB and special teams beast.
Resign Chase Daniel.
Resign De la Puente to multi-year deal.
Resign Drescher good chemistry with Morestead.
Resign Galette to 3 year $12 million deal and let him tear it up on the outside.
Give Ivory the 2nd round tender and let him play it out and see what happens. I doubt anyone gives up a 2nd for him. I hope we keep him and let Sean work his backfield magic. I'm a big Ivory supporter.
Resign Elbert Mack as a potential dime back. He looked pretty good at the end of last season.
Resign Courtney Roby. Perfect ST gunner and return man insurance. Will come on the cheap.
Resign Robinson. He looked good in that single quarter of action lol.

Let Humber, Hixon, Shanle, McBride, Henderson, and Ellis walk.
Sign 2-3 more moderately priced free agents and then the draft.

We're a lot more stacked then many around here think
SEAN PAYTON IS BACK
Things are looking up..knock on wood

frick all that noise. we wont have any money to sign free agents and we are talent short.

daniel can go, we can get a cheap min salary backup instead of paying chase 2 mill, frick that.

casillas bye, unless you take min.
I would resign galette and tender dlp and ivory at 2mill and minimum.....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom