As of the Bunkley restructure the Saints cap number is that they are... (1 Viewer)

I'm sure we'll see soon if Vilma and Smith accept lesser Salaries. IMO, Roman Harper should be a considered candidate as well to either restructure or accept less.

ESPN and all these other sites seem to ignore the fact that virtually all teams used their option to roll over their cap space from last year.

The unadjusted cap is $123.9m. It wouldn't surprise me if we're under our "adjusted" cap #, which includes the rollover from 2012.

I'm sure we'll see soon if Vilma and Smith accept lesser Salaries. IMO, Roman Harper should be a considered candidate as well to either restructure or accept less.

Restructures of any or all of these players should give us some wiggle room too

Loomis has proven himself again this offseason

...just over 1 million over the cap.

New Orleans Saints - 2013 Cap Hits

These guys seem to understand the cap. One bit of advice, though, is never look to ESPN.com for cap information. They are idiots.

What??? You can't point out how EPSN is wrong with the cap? This board is all over the place when it comes to the cap. Everyone had their own opinions!

ESPN and all these other sites seem to ignore the fact that virtually all teams used their option to roll over their cap space from last year.

The unadjusted cap is $123.9m. It wouldn't surprise me if we're under our "adjusted" cap #, which includes the rollover from 2012.

The figures in the link I supplied include the rollover. According to them, the Saints' cap number stands at precisely $124,024,318. If the cap is actually 123.9 million exactly, the Saints are currently $124,318 over the cap. Loomis could handle this in his sleep.

My mistake, it looks like the link Professor posted takes into account our rollover money.

The figures in the link I supplied include the rollover. According to them, the Saints' cap number stands at precisely $124,024,318. If the cap is actually 123.9 million exactly, the Saints are currently $124,318 over the cap. Loomis could handle this in his sleep.

I just caught this...thanks.

We're in great shape cap wise. If/when we need to make room for Bushrod, Graham, or an impact FA, we have several avenues we can turn to.

From what I've read previously we already have pay cuts on the table for Smith and Vilma. They either take them or get cut so we'll be well under the cap by March 12th.

Anyone know anything about a guy named Jay Richardson, a DE, who is on the roster with a $715,000 cap figure? If he is released, he would count nothing in dead money because he has no bonus figures. He would save the full $715K on the cap. I would rather have Bushrod (it will take more than 715K, I know) than someone that I have no clue about. Restructure Smith, Vilma, & Harper and release this guy and sign Bushrod. Those actions could save at least 12 million on the cap to give the Saints enough to sign Bushrod and make some tender offers to the RFAs the Saints should keep (De La Puente, Galette, and Ivory) not to mention a few other UFAs, such as Casillas, Daniel, Humber (maybe), and Mack.

Did the math for releasing Smith, Vilma, and Herring and the saving for cutting those players after the dead money would be $15,408,331. That would put our cap number at $108,615,987.

That would be more than enough to sign bushrod and maybe a couple other mid range fa's

Anyone know anything about a guy named Jay Richardson, a DE, who is on the roster with a $715,000 cap figure? If he is released, he would count nothing in dead money because he has no bonus figures. He would save the full $715K on the cap. I would rather have Bushrod (it will take more than 715K, I know) than someone that I have no clue about. Restructure Smith, Vilma, & Harper and release this guy and sign Bushrod. Those actions could save at least 12 million on the cap to give the Saints enough to sign Bushrod and make some tender offers to the RFAs the Saints should keep (De La Puente, Galette, and Ivory) not to mention a few other UFAs, such as Casillas, Daniel, Humber (maybe), and Mack.

Doesn't work exactly like that. The way to think of it is the top 51 salaries count towards our cap. So essentially anyone over the minimum contract number is going to be replaced if cut by someone at at least the minimum. So the savings will always be cap figure - dead money - minimum salary = real cap savings.

In Richardson's case he would be replaced by someone on the 1-year minimum, such as Bryce Harris, at $480,000. Meaning the actual cap savings of cutting Richardson is only, like, $230,000.

You're worrying about nickels and pennies at that point. A player like Richardson you cut strictly due for football reasons, not cap considerations.

Did the math for releasing Smith, Vilma, and Herring and the saving for cutting those players after the dead money would be $15,408,331. That would put our cap number at $108,615,987.

That would be more than enough to sign bushrod and maybe a couple other mid range fa's

And you pretty much covered the only potential moves left. Harper has been discussed, Smith/Vilma/Herring obviously. Past that, as noted above, you're mostly talking nickels and dimes.

There are a very small number of "quarter" type moves, like Herring, available if the Saints so chose.

Pierre Thomas (cap figure $2.5, dead money $0), Zach Strief (cap figure $2.5, dead money $250k), Darren Sproles (base salary $2.9 million, 2 years left, would have to be an extension), Malcolm Jenkins (cap figure $4 mil, dead money $1.5 mil, cap savings $2.5 mil), Garrett Hartley ($2.1 mil base, 3 years left, could reduce his cap figure by $1.5 by raising his 2014 and 2015 cap figures $750k, but that makes him more difficult to cut if we want), Jabari Greer ($3.6 mil base, 3 more years, could lower his salary by $2.4 mil and increase years 2014 and 2015 by $1.2 mil each. You won't be able to cut him in 2014 though if you want, while as of now there would be cap savings if we did so).

All in all, of the deals not discussed yet, I think you can dismiss Pierre Thomas, Zach Strief, Darren Sproles. Probably Hartley and Greer as well so the staff can maintain roster flexibility next year if they underperform. Malcolm Jenkins is the only obvious candidate for further action, and that, like Harper, will be a skill-decision more-so then a cap decision.

No, I'd think we'd see Herring cut, Smith and Vilma reduced/cut, and that'll call it a day. We might could retain Bushrod and add 1 or 2 mid-level FAs, then the signing class, and that'll be about it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom