As poorly as the Saints offense played... (1 Viewer)

Bill

Thirsty for more!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
It is hard to imagine that the winning point spread was put up by our defense. We've just come to expect that the offense is always going to be rolling up big numbers on our opponents every week.

But I can't help but think that more often than not we would have scored from the 2 yard line where we failed today. Another 4th down miss cost us at least a field goal, and obviously the last possession where we ran out the clock in the 'victory formation' could have easily been another TD.

While I would have adored hanging a 40+ burger on the vaunted Jets defense, it was clear that New York is truly one of the toughest defenses in the league. It will be good for the Saints to learn from the game film about how better to move and score against such a physical defense.

In the meantime, I'm going to enjoy this one for a while. It'll be fun to get ready in two weeks for another battle of undefeated teams.

How I want to see us OWN both New Yorks! :9:

I agree, this only prepares our guys to face the Giants D & others down the road. Our O is human of course & in the past, games like these would have been lost, but now our Defense is able to take up the slack, when our O is not.

It's called balance & it's how great teams win championships, if you look back in the recent two season, we only had a great passing Offense, now we still have that, plus a great running game & most importantly, a dominate D.

So don't go off on our O without considering how great they played given the Defense they faced & the difficulties they overcome in this game to stay on top.

Good job "Team"!

i dont think we are playing bad sp is a master mind,he know that d is playing so well i think he is holding back until the giants game plus we never played a division opponent yet and that i little footage for them to game plan for but i maybe wrong its just a thought

Bill, they did not play poorly, the Jets D plaeyed great. A really good D shuts down a really good O. I hate that people can't enjoy the WIN because we didn't hang 40

Here's the key: When we needed the big drive to put the game away, we got it. Brees was clutch on that throw to Meachem, who did a good job of getting just enough separation to snag the pass and then showing his athleticism to get YAC and a big first down. This is the kind of win Brees needed. It can't all come easy, and these hard fought victories will pay dividends for the team's confidence down the stretch when we get into the playoffs. When you think about it, we were the equivalent of the old Montana-led 9ers, and the Jets were the old Saints--all defense, no offense, keeping the game close and then losing when the better team finally decided to take over and drive a stake through their heart.

It's the NFL. Jets have a VERY good defense. Ask the Patriots.

That 11 play , 74 yard drive was the most any offense has accomplished on them.

I agree.....our offense had been stalled for the past 2 games.....Now, we faced a top notch D this week, and a very good D last week. Last week it was the running game which took over the game, this week it was the D. Our O only managed to put up 10 points today, the rest it was produced by the D......Eventually the O needs to regroup, and start making more plays, considering we won't face rookie QBs every week.

But games like this we used to lose in previous years.....now we're winning them!...That's the good news.....

The bad news??.....What bad news???

Darren Sharper is GOD!!!........nuff said!

I'd like to agree with all the "The Saints offense didn't play badly, the Jets defense just played great" comments out there... but...

Even great defenses shouldn't be able to stop a good offense on 4th and short every time. In fact, I would be willing to bet that most of you out there did not feel too confident on the 3rd Saints 4th and short attempt until the Jets nose tackle jump across the LOS and handed us the 1st down.

That means the Saints offense didn't play very well by anyone's definition.

Yet I am also happy that we can win any way that it is necessary to get it done. I don't care if we win 2 to 0, or 52 to 0.

Just Win Baby!!! :9:

Good thread. I did like most of the playcalling. The Saints were playing a rookie QB in the Superdome. And that showed. Very happy about the win. Worried about the Giants though

The offense played great, they just didn't get it done in the red zone. We drove the field several times.

The offense played well... but when they score points (especially from the red zone), then they officially "played great".

But as I said before, this kind of game will teach the Saints a lot, and they'll be a better team for it going into the rest of the season.

:9:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom