As the season winds down, will we turn to the running game? (1 Viewer)

Deuuuuce

So much 4 being rusty
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong: I love our passing attack. I think we're tough to stop with Drew Brees and all of our recieving weapons. However, while Drew has shown his ability to carry an offense with his arm, I don't think that is the way to use him if you want to win games consistantly. You have heard it so often, and it's true. His best attribute is his ability to manage the game and protect the football for you. We won the game yesterday largely because of the big 0 in the TO column. Brees did a great job of taking what the defense gave us, and he took the sack when he had too, but I also think that sticking to the running game even when it wasnt getting us the big play also played a huge role in this huge win on the road.

Up until yesterday's game, we haven't ran the ball as much as we should IMO. When you have a backfield of Deuce Mcallister and Reggie Bush, you should be able to control your opponents with the ground game. A lot of times we have gone away from the run when it seemed to be sucessful. . I think its possible that Payton has been protecting our backs for money time, which is right around the corner. We have put ourselves in a great possition for a championship run, and everyone understands the importance of a good rushing attack when facing the best defenses in the league. We have saved Deuce and Reggie long enough. They should be FRESH coming down the stretch here.

What wins in December and January is good defense and a good running game. Obviously, having a probowl calibur QB with weapons to throw to doesn't hurt either, but if we want to go to the big show, we have to cut down on the turnovers, and more carries for Deuce and Bush will help solve that problem.

What do you guys think? Should we continue to air it out or should we give Deuce and Reggie some more carries?

Last edited:
I think the run works well to set up even more big pass plays. Maybe a couple of early quick strike passing TD's and then go to the running game to rest your D and run the clock. It certainly helps if we can do that down the stretch.

at some point the running game will have to carry us, and I think they will do a fine job with duece and bush.

We should do as you say and let Drew take what the defense gives us. If they are defending the run, we should be passing and vice versa. To plan to run more if they aren't giving it to us is not a recipe for success. Whatever it takes. If we can win with 0 yds rushing so be it. IMO we should run the ball (or pass) not more or less but based on whichever gives us the best chance to score on that drive.

"Run" clock and rest your D. They did run more against the Falcons, but still not enough IMO. Hopefully, this is the transformation into cruise control for the playoffs (still can't believe we can legitimately say that). Eventually you have to start showing your true stragegy so it can be well established and learnt by all the players AND coaches. I hope this is the true strategy and Deuce/Bush turn it loose. I love to see Brees chucking long ones with that weak arm of his, but clock management is more important than quick strike TD's. TD's are always good, but if you keep your D on the field longer than your O, you're bound to have a bad second half of a game.

I think our best chance to get in and win a few playoff games if to run the ball and send pressure as they did Sunday. The teams remaining are not the same but our best chance is the same game plan to beat them

SF run the ball stop the run with run blitzes and get to Smith
Dal we can't cover their WR for mre than 4 sec so we must run the ball to control the tempo and pressure a young Romo
Wash again gooodWR and pressure should get Campbell raddled
NYG they are falling apart and Eli is making mistakes when pressured
Car Delhome is suseptable to the blitz but once again if we don't pressure him he will pick us apart

We aren't that kind of team. We can not consistently gain positive yards on the ground. For every 4 yard gain by deuce this past week he was stopped for no gain 3 more times. He averaged 3.5 yards a carry and we repeatedly had to bail him out on third down by passing to keep the drives alive.

I know everyone thinks because we have deuce we should pound it but we don't have the line for that and deuce just isn't that good right now. I like what we did this past week passing when everyoen expected run. Mixing it up is the best thing for this team. Blindly running the ball "just cause" its the textbook thing to do will get us nothing but alot more 3 and outs. Haven't we all had enough of the "3 runs and punt" offense when McCarthy was here? The running game couldn't carry us then and it won't now.

WOW! We had to bail Deuce out? I think it's the opposite. His running helped create the passing game. I know Deuce isn't the #1 back in the NFL, but the boy does his job when needed.

CAR YDS AVG TD LG
D. McAllister 20 71 3.6 2 30

Seems to me that he was doing rather well. Give him 5-10 more carries and the TOP could have swung in our favor tremendously.

I do agree that our OLine isn't that great at opening holes just yet, but Deuce can make his own holes.

WOW! We had to bail Deuce out? I think it's the opposite. His running helped create the passing game. I know Deuce isn't the #1 back in the NFL, but the boy does his job when needed.

CAR YDS AVG TD LG
D. McAllister 20 71 3.6 2 30

Seems to me that he was doing rather well. Give him 5-10 more carries and the TOP could have swung in our favor tremendously.

I do agree that our OLine isn't that great at opening holes just yet, but Deuce can make his own holes.

In the 4th when we went into a pound the ball mode to kill the clock he couldn't gain hardly any positive yards and brees bailed him out a few times with passes, including the henderson pass down field late in the game.

Deuce is good, but hes not going to take over a game like some backs in this league. He seems to still be scared of his knee because he does not drive anymore (which is fine). He falls down flat on his stomach at first contact. At first I was thinking why, then I figured it has to be a precaution for the knee so as not to retear anything.

1st of all, hi! I'm new to the forums and I'm liking what I'm seeing. Major props to whoever is running it, but now to the topic.

In my opinion I think what we have been doing in the past with the air attack is going to be an advantage in weeks to come. Coaches are probably planning to play to prevent the long ball which should open up alot of run yards for Deuce and Bush. But then again they could have the same mentality as me.

It's a tough call, but I would lean more towards going with passing. Maybe they could take the better of both worlds and pass behind the line sometimes.

1st of all, hi! I'm new to the forums and I'm liking what I'm seeing. Major props to whoever is running it, but now to the topic.

In my opinion I think what we have been doing in the past with the air attack is going to be an advantage in weeks to come. Coaches are probably planning to play to prevent the long ball which should open up alot of run yards for Deuce and Bush. But then again they could have the same mentality as me.

It's a tough call, but I would lean more towards going with passing. Maybe they could take the better of both worlds and pass behind the line sometimes.

I think you do what works. The pass is working in the 2nd half of games, our run game isn't. I know its "historical" that you have to run run run in the playoffs, but I still say you do what is working for you. We obviously pass over anyone and everyone, no matter their defensive stature, so why quit? Continue to protect Brees so he doesn't throw INT's under pressure and let it fly.

I know I have my Deuce goggles on, but I still think he is coming along just fine. If we don't run the ball, we'll have a tougher time passing and no one will bite on the PA. I also noticed that Deuce went down a few times a little too fast, but I see falshes of the ol Deuce when he had that 31 yard run. It's tough to take that dude down when he's healthy.

I still must try and reserve my desire for a good dose of smash mouth Deuce ball for when he is healthy.

What do you suggest if you think he's not doing too well? Bush? Stecker? I see your point, but what would be your suggestion? The pass can only work for so long.

I agree that we have been pass happy lately, but that has been what needed to be done at the time. Every game, and every team we face is different. Some days you can run it down their throat, and some days you can't. We do have awesome running backs, and their is a time and a place for them. I did notice that they used Deuce a little more against Atlanta, but that was because we had a 14 point lead established, and we could afford to run the ball more. It's all about ball control, and the last couple of weeks we weren't controlling the ball very well. I'm sure we will se more of the RB's down the stretch, and they will be successful, but right now, we just need to win games, and we will take it any way we can get it. There is no doubt that a good run offense, an a solid defense wins championships, but it doesn't hurt to have a QB with the talents that Drew Brees has to put a little icing on the cake. :gosaints:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom