As the season winds down, will we turn to the running game? (1 Viewer)

I know I have my Deuce goggles on, but I still think he is coming along just fine. If we don't run the ball, we'll have a tougher time passing and no one will bite on the PA. I also noticed that Deuce went down a few times a little too fast, but I see falshes of the ol Deuce when he had that 31 yard run. It's tough to take that dude down when he's healthy.

I still must try and reserve my desire for a good dose of smash mouth Deuce ball for when he is healthy.

What do you suggest if you think he's not doing too well? Bush? Stecker? I see your point, but what would be your suggestion? The pass can only work for so long.

Keep doign what were doing. We are running the ball an acceptable amount of times in my opinion. Hes getting 20 or so carries. Hes doing well enough for that, but I wouldn't stop passing to give deuce more carries with the way we are moving the ball on people doing what we are doing now.

I believe in the run probably more than anybody, but it's technically impossible to run into 8 and 9 man fronts, which is what we get a lot. Couple that with the fact that our O line isn't suited to power run block that well, that leaves us little option but to pass. But what I would like to see more of is Reggie running draws and receiving the screen pass. Slow the pass rush that much more and let Drew perform surgery.

We should do as you say and let Drew take what the defense gives us. If they are defending the run, we should be passing and vice versa. To plan to run more if they aren't giving it to us is not a recipe for success. Whatever it takes. If we can win with 0 yds rushing so be it. IMO we should run the ball (or pass) not more or less but based on whichever gives us the best chance to score on that drive.

I couldn't agree more. Lets win first and foremost.

I would like to see a bit more running only to keep the TOP in our favor. We have had good TOP in these 300 + yard passing games, but I can't think that will last forever. Sure, don't fix it if it ain't broke, but we could use some more fat long drives to wear down the D. I don't care if the RB's gain 10 out of a long 80 yd drive as long as the time keeps on tickin tickin tickin, into the "W" zone. You have two or three long drives and that will put any D on the oxygen mask.

It seems like a lot of you guys agree for the most part. Do whatever it takes to win.

We have played pretty good football this season, but I have to say that basically every good team that we have played so far, we have lost to, This is a problem because when you enter the playoffs, you will be playing the best of the best.

When you look at why we lost the games to CAR, Pitt, Cin, and Balt, you come to the conclusion that we lost mainly because of turnovers and bad defense. Now, let me explain how feeding our horses Deuce and Reggie will help us minimize those problems and give us a better chance to win from here on out.

A. Deuce and Reggie can be very productive even with our O-line. I think our line is a lot more physical than some of you give them credit for. It hasn't been easy running the rock this year mainly because people are stacking the line of scrimmage against us. They probably won't be doing that against us anymore because Brees has shown that he can make you pay. Deuce and Reggie are talented enough to get good yardage and break the occasional big play for us if given more opportunities.

B. Running the ball limits turnovers. If you think about it, when your QB drops the pass, there are a lot of negative things that can happen: sack, incompletion, interception, sack and fumble. Running the ball can help you limit turnovers.

C. A successful running game helps you control the clock and keeps your defense and the opposing offense off of the field....How do you stop Payton Manning and Tom Brady? You can't really. You just have to keep them off the field by grinding it on the ground and finishing your drives off with scores. This also wears down the other teams interior lineman, and neutralizes the pass rush.

D. Running the ball sets up the pass. No explanation needed here.

There are probably tons of other reasons why running the ball a lot during games helps you beat the tough teams. A good passing game is essential too because it gives you big plays and it can be used to set up the run, but running the ball is always a more consistant way to win football games.

We have the talent to dominate on the ground, and I think we should make more of an effort to be a team that looks to establish the ground game early and often.

Haven't we all had enough of the "3 runs and punt" offense when McCarthy was here? The running game couldn't carry us then and it won't now.

McCarthy was one of the main "pass on first down" guys. It was evident in San Fran, and is evident now in Green Bay. Just be glad he isn't here any longer - how he drove our offense into the ground, made San Fran's offense look even worse than it is, then got a head coaching job within five years remains one of the biggest mysteries in NFL history.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom