Asante Samuel Contract Hopes (1 Viewer)

like i've told all of you, hell be looking for a $100 mil contract
nobody listened to me..

10 yrs, 100 mil? Watching him over the last 4yrs, I'll admit, Asante has become one of the top 5 CB's in the league. That being said...IS HE CRAZY!!! If thats what he expects to get, forget him.

New England has been an elite team, on both sides of the ball, the last 5 years. How do we know he wont flop in another system. This years crop of CBs is chalk full of talent. There's value in the 1st 3 rounds. Leodis Mckelvin, Flowers, M. Jenkins, Talib, they're all ballers and wont cost us a 100mil.

At that price, we might as well trade for D. Hall.

If someone doesn't give him this contract he'll have to settle for a lesser deal.

I just don't see any team giving him a 10 year $100 million deal.

If his agent did what he is paid to do, and screwed a team into paying that, they would render Samuel a player who is impossible to get rid of.
You are stuck with him for 10 years. That's a long time in the NFL, especially for a CB. You might get his prime for 2 or 3 years where it would all be worth the money. That would be great. We have to think to the future. That's until the 2018 season. The cap hit for cutting or trading him is far to high to do so, and you are paying too much not to start him or at least not have him ride the bench.
Samuel will be 38 by the time that deal ends. For a CB, the hardest and most strenous position in the league, that is old. When he is 33 or 34, he might be getting roasted every play, just like Jason David, and our only options are to cut him and get a massive cap hit, keep starting him to try and get your moneysworth even though he is doing horribly, or to send your highest paid player to the bench.
I hope the Saints front office is never stupid enough to tie themselves down like that.

Year - Bonus - Base
2008 - $3M - $1M
2009 - $3M - $1M
2010 - $3M - $1M
2011 - $3M - $1M
2012 - $3M - $1M
2013 - $3M - $1M
2014 - $3M - $16M
2015 - $3M - $16M
2016 - $3M - $16M
2017 - $3M - $16M

Boom! 10 years, 100 million total, 30 million of it guaranteed.
I should be negotiating contracts for us.

No agent working with NFL players would be stupid enough to sign that contract.

How is this any worse than a 5 year 50 million dollar deal? Everyone would be more than happy to pay that. I'd give him a 10 year 100 million with 25 guaranteed.
Base salary:

I don't think he'll get $30m guaranteed. If any of you follow baseball, I liken it to how Scott Boras handled Alex Rodriguez's free agency. All year he was saying that he would get A-rod a record breaking contract of $300m. He was highballing the market and hoping that if he said A-rod was worth 300 enough times, teams would start to believe it. What happened? Rodriguez and Boras fell flat on their faces in free agency and had to go back to the Yankees for $25m less than they had previously said.

like i've told all of you, hell be looking for a $100 mil contract
nobody listened to me..
No mate we did listen, it's just that realism doesn't light people's fires :) It's nicer to speculate that we're gonna bring in Michael Turner, Lance Briggs, Samuel and Faneca and then have cash left over to tie up Will Smith and Marques Colston :)

Let's face it people - FA is becoming a farce, there are very few 'bargains' out there, and the one or two 'impact' players are gonna ask for so much money and such long term deals that they become a bigger risk than an average player who might raise his game in a new team.

My bet is that if we manage to sign anyone decent it will be Turner, because he's always been undervalued and there are a lot of decent RBs in this draft.

Lets keep it in perspective here.

A 10 year contract will never be fulfilled, both sides know it.

The trick is the 30 million guarantee.

He will get most of that in the first 2 years. He won't be there for the final years. Those years have huge base salaries, but he'll take the big bucks early in the contract, then retire to wherever he wants.

ddd

Without that Patriot pass rush Samuel will become a 100 million dollar piece of toast... mark my words.
You could be right Droop, but let's face it Darrell Green and Michael Haynes would have struggled with the kind of pass rush we generated last year.
People are talking about us needing CBs and a MLB, but what we really need is the second coming of Pat Swilling as well to generate some heat on the passer

You could be right Droop, but let's face it Darrell Green and Michael Haynes would have struggled with the kind of pass rush we generated last year.
People are talking about us needing CBs and a MLB, but what we really need is the second coming of Pat Swilling as well to generate some heat on the passer

That's what I'm saying bro... if we empty our cap on Samuel, and don't address our front 7... we'll be in trouble (again).

That's what I'm saying bro... if we empty our cap on Samuel, and don't address our front 7... we'll be in trouble (again).

With close to $40m in cap space, I think we have enough cash to improve the defense at multiple positions. Not to mention we have all of our draft picks this year to make an impact. I think we'd be fine if we signed Asante to a big contract.

Not that I disagree with placing the importance on the front 7, but signing Samuel wouldn't be emptying the cap. 49ers signed Nate Clements last year, plus a few other solid contributors, signed TWO first round draft picks, and are still in the top 5 for cap space. We should get this out of our heads that signing one guy to a big contract will limit our chances to sign others.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom