Asante Samuels and Corey Williams (1 Viewer)

Super Dad

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
Ok guys up until now I have been critical of Samuels and said that he is a system guy. after watching him play yesterday I am here to tell you that he is a player and if we do not do everything we can to get him we are nuts. i love MM but to be honest he is a couple years from being old and know with a knee injury I really think he needs to move to FS.

While watching the GB game I really see Corey Williams as the successor to Young. He is a good penetrator with a big body who can't be blocked with one man. Put him next to HT and i think we will be ok.

My wish list:
Samuels
Corey Williams
Trade a 3rd or 4th for Vilma
Draft the best D player on the board or trade back at 10. It's not where you pick it is who you pick!!!

Thoughts??

Asante Samuel, no s

He will get a contract similar to Nate Clements, and we wont break the bank for him, based on our history.

Corey Williams probably isnt going anywhere, I doubt GB lets him get away.

Ok guys up until now I have been critical of Samuels and said that he is a system guy. after watching him play yesterday I am here to tell you that he is a player and if we do not do everything we can to get him we are nuts. i love MM but to be honest he is a couple years from being old and know with a knee injury I really think he needs to move to FS.

While watching the GB game I really see Corey Williams as the successor to Young. He is a good penetrator with a big body who can't be blocked with one man. Put him next to HT and i think we will be ok.

My wish list:
Samuels
Corey Williams
Draft the best D player on the board or trade back at 10. It's not where you pick it is who you pick!!!

Thoughts??

I could live with this off season especially your 1st 2 on that list.(Dream come true)

Asante Samuel, no s

He will get a contract similar to Nate Clements, and we wont break the bank for him, based on our history.

GB drafted Justin Harrell in the 1st last season to take over for Vorey Williams so I do no think he is in there future plans.

So Samuel wasn't good enough in your book until yesterday?

One game changed your mind on how you 'rate' a player?

BREAK THAT PIGGY BANK, MICKEY.

Lock this guy up and he could be ours for the rest of his career. He's only been in the league five years.

So Samuel wasn't good enough in your book until yesterday?

One game changed your mind on how you 'rate' a player?

I just really for the first time yesterday watched his technique and saw how soundly and confidently he plays the position.

Response

My wish list:
Samuels
Corey Williams

Thoughts??

I agree with you about going after Samuels, but I would also be happy with Trufant. I don't agree about McKenzie being made a FS -- yet. The Saints need two top CBs (although McKenzie's injury could limit him the first part of the season). If the Saints got Samuels, who would be the second starting CB?

I also agree that the Saints need another DT and (at least one more) LB -- preferably ILB.

Yep, Samuels is going to get a record breaking deal. At least as much or more than what Clements got. According to John Clayton a record number of teams are going to be at least $20 million under the cap this offseason so the Saints are hardly alone with cap space. I believe the Saints are projected to have the sixth most cap space - Projected '08 Salary cap. The problem with signing Samuels is if the Saints go after him with the $80+ million Clements got.....poof most of that cap space is gone and the D still has majot holes. Even if the deal was backloaded he's still going to want a huge signing bonus. Clements hardly tuned the 9ers D around.....without better DL and LB play pressuring on the QB any DB is going to get burned. Samuels is a luxury signing, I'm all for letting the 'Skins continue to mortgage their future by signing him........

Last edited:
I agree with you about going after Samuels, but I would also be happy with Trufant. I don't agree about McKenzie being made a FS -- yet. The Saints need two top CBs (although McKenzie's injury could limit him the first part of the season). If the Saints got Samuels, who would be the second starting CB?

I also agree that the Saints need another DT and (at least one more) LB -- preferably ILB.

I just think that MM is going to lose a step and at that position i think that we would be better off starting Young and Samuels at CB Harper at SS and MM at FS. That would prolong MM career at least two or three season and I also think he would be able to come back sooner at FS because he would not need as much speed at FS.

It's "Samuel", stop making more work for yourselves :9:. He played great yesterday, which is nice because he was awful the week before against Jacksonville. Asante is going to get a huge deal and Trufant will give the Saints similar production but without a consistent pass rush Samuel will get burned like any other corner, and the Saints do not have a consistent pass rush.

Last edited:
My wish list:
Samuels
Corey Williams

Thoughts??

Samuels - I covered this, sign him and the Saints will just a few mil left to try to sign their own UFAs.
Corey Williams - if he makes out of GB I'm all for going after him. I'd much rather spend major money on him rather than Samuels. I believe games are won in the trenches.
Vilma - depends on what the medical staff says about his knee. The reports aren't good but the Saints should take a look.
Pick the BPA at 10 Of course if two players have similar grades pick a defensive players.

Samuel is overrated... sure he'll get the big bucks only because of his numbers... but both Vincent Jackson and Chris Chambers abused him yesterday... and I'm willing o bet the ranch that Plax and Toomer will abuse him (again)... he didn't fair too well last month when the Giants played against NE.

I'd rather spend lower $s on a better cover CB like Corey Webster.

Samuel is overrated... sure he'll get the big bucks only because of his numbers... but both Vincent Jackson and Chris Chambers abused him yesterday... and I'm willing o bet the ranch that Plax and Toomer will abuse him (again)... he didn't fair too well last month when the Giants played against NE.

I'd rather spend lower $s on a better cover CB like Corey Webster.

FWIW, Webster has been resigned to a 2 year deal.

And I agree about Samuels. Its not that I don't want him, but for that price he just doesn't measure up in man coverage situations. If we sign him he'll take a huge chunk of our free cap space. Its looking more and more like we'll have to make due with what CB's we have next year. So heres to hoping we get a good DT in FA, draft phillips, and draft mayo this year.

Last edited:
Asante Samuel, no s

In the Green Bay papers they are saying that Williams will not be resigned because they have Pickett, 1st round pick Justin Harrell and a solid backup in John Jolly so they cannot tie up more money at DT.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom