Announcement Ask Me Anything - TCUDan (Starting now) (1 Viewer)

Thanks for doing this and I'll ask one of the most debated topics on the board lately which is a multiple part question.

What do you think of the current WR room? Thomas is the X, who do you see on the roster as the Z and Y? If neither player is on the roster, who would be the options in the draft?

How comfortable would you feel trading up to take any QB from this year's class compared to staying put at #16 and #19 and taking whoever you consider BPA with those picks?
I am really against trading up for a QB. I don't think this class is particularly strong (though that's a trite concept, you always get great QBs out of "weak" classes). Additionally, Jameis Winston is only 28 and has done nothing to to show me he can't get the job done--in fact, he did the opposite last season. I don't know if he's the answer, but if you trade up to take a QB then you're automatically putting an expiration date on him.

Now, if Pickett or Willis fall to 16, and we take them, I can't really argue with that. I just think you have this window of opportunity now where you have a championship defense and are basically a LT and a true #2 WR (preferably one with some wheels) away from contending for a championship. The Saints will have cap issues for a few more years, and we have some core pieces who we will need to pay to extend this window.

Let's say the staff believes Willis is a generational QB talent, and let's say they're right. Well in 3 years you're probably gonna have to sign him to 9-figure deal. What does that mean for Kamara? Mike Thomas? Dunbar? Lattimore? Ramcyk? I look at the Cheifs, with a special talen tin Mahomes, but their championship days may be over b/c they're going to lose all of their core pieces.

All that to say: QB is the riskiest pick in the draft. Those guys tend to bust the hardest and set franchises back when they do. You're giving up a ton when you trade up for one, and it only makes sense to me if you're a team actively rebuilding (in terms of trading up or drafting one top 10).

Assuming Willis or Picket don't fall to us, I'd rather get Riddler in the 2nd round.

I am really against trading up for a QB. I don't think this class is particularly strong (though that's a trite concept, you always get great QBs out of "weak" classes). Additionally, Jameis Winston is only 28 and has done nothing to to show me he can't get the job done--in fact, he did the opposite last season. I don't know if he's the answer, but if you trade up to take a QB then you're automatically putting an expiration date on him.

Now, if Pickett or Willis fall to 16, and we take them, I can't really argue with that. I just think you have this window of opportunity now where you have a championship defense and are basically a LT and a true #2 WR (preferably one with some wheels) away from contending for a championship. The Saints will have cap issues for a few more years, and we have some core pieces who we will need to pay to extend this window.

Let's say the staff believes Willis is a generational QB talent, and let's say they're right. Well in 3 years you're probably gonna have to sign him to 9-figure deal. What does that mean for Kamara? Mike Thomas? Dunbar? Lattimore? Ramcyk? I look at the Cheifs, with a special talen tin Mahomes, but their championship days may be over b/c they're going to lose all of their core pieces.

All that to say: QB is the riskiest pick in the draft. Those guys tend to bust the hardest and set franchises back when they do. You're giving up a ton when you trade up for one, and it only makes sense to me if you're a team actively rebuilding (in terms of trading up or drafting one top 10).

Assuming Willis or Picket don't fall to us, I'd rather get Riddler in the 2nd round.
Pretty much answered my question too. If the right quarterback land to us, then take him. But don't trade up just to get one.

Is Trautman more than an in-line blocking TE? How aggressively should the Saints address TE?
Trautman is who he is at this point. I think he can improve his receiving craft but he doesn't have the ceiling of Johnson or Taysom Hill. He is a decent all-around tight end, but he's not a serious weapon in the passing game.
I would rank WR, LT, and S all ahead of TE. It's not at a surplus, but it's not a critical need.

Thanks for taking time to do this.

Imo Ruiz has underwhelmed so far, and we’ve been told he’s a much better center than guard.

Could you see the team moving Ruiz to his natural position, and kicking McCoy out to guard? More importantly, what are your thoughts on what to do with Ruiz? Wait and see? Try to trade to a team needing a center for a pick, or keep him where he is and hope he improves?

Tyia.

You the GM and coach. Knowing you have 2 first rounder this year but none next year. Quarterback is still a question mark but you have other needs too. Would you be tempted to take a quarterback? Trade up for one, or stay at the same draft position now. Or draft for other needs first?
I wouldn't trade up for QB b/c my team isn't in rebuild mode. I have the defense and am a couple pieces on offense away from contending for a Super Bowl. I don't think that QB is one of those pieces (I think Jameis can get the job done, given the team around him).
If Picket or Willis fell to 16, you could argue they're BPA. I could justify taking them there. But in general, I think the Saints need to fill LT, WR, S (in that order) either through early draft picks or free agency.
I don't see a great option at LT on the FA market, so I consider it the top need in the draft.

How much do you favour mixing in an End-Will gap exchange versus RPO teams? Is there a sweet spot in terms of number of times, when it's not being over used and instead giving the offense an easy mismatch elsewhere?

What non-football related aspect of your background best helped you prepare to be a football coach?

I actually worked in the Intel Community as a defense contractor for a couple of years (did post-grad studies in strategic intelligence). I honestly think that gave me an edge as a football coach, in terms of the depth and focus of preparation (and staying calm in stressful situations).

Trautman and Ruiz. Too early to discard them? I think so. This is their third season coming up and should be the telling year.
I think it's too early to discard them but I don't see either of them getting big paydays from the Saints. They could be a PJ Williams type who stick around and contribute at a reasonable price, or maybe someone overpays them in free agency (I doubt it).
With guys like that, the intangibles (attitude, locker room presence, coachability) really go a long way to determining if they stick around.

Peyton Turner is a stud. He needs to smooth out his overall game but is absolutely an impact edge player.
I agree. Payton Turner did ok his first training camp but his injuries set him back. I would love to see how he progress after plenty time to recover. Like Davenport, he just need to be coached. But the potential is there.

Thanks for doing this and I'll ask one of the most debated topics on the board lately which is a multiple part question.

What do you think of the current WR room? Thomas is the X, who do you see on the roster as the Z and Y? If neither player is on the roster, who would be the options in the draft?
I wouldn't break our WR needs down by X, Y, Z--good WRs can play multiple spots. Thomas is listed as the X (and fits that in the traditional sense) but he also lines up in the slot.
I think the Saints need a deep threat at #2 that can run the route tree. TQS fits only half of that description (sure, he runs the route tree, but it's not his strength).
I am absolutely in love with Chris Olave. I saw Jarvis Landry was visiting the Saints and that would give them another great WR, but he still doesn't give that blistering deep threat (not saying pass on him, just that the Saints need to take advantage of Jameis's arm).
Olave, for my money, is the best combination of burner/route runner in the draft. He also is the best in terms of hands "suddenness" which is very, very hard to coach, and is often the most overlooked quality in GREAT WRs.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom