Announcement Ask Me Anything - TCUDan (Starting now) (1 Viewer)

Trautman is who he is at this point. I think he can improve his receiving craft but he doesn't have the ceiling of Johnson or Taysom Hill. He is a decent all-around tight end, but he's not a serious weapon in the passing game.
I would rank WR, LT, and S all ahead of TE. It's not at a surplus, but it's not a critical need.

Doesn't it usually take TEs 3 years to take the next step? I think Trautman surprises people who have counted him out after last year.

Thanks for taking time to do this.

Imo Ruiz has underwhelmed so far, and we’ve been told he’s a much better center than guard.

Could you see the team moving Ruiz to his natural position, and kicking McCoy out to guard? More importantly, what are your thoughts on what to do with Ruiz? Wait and see? Try to trade to a team needing a center for a pick, or keep him where he is and hope he improves?

Tyia.
I wouldn't move McCoy from center. That's such a crucial position in an NFL offense and you gotta have a solid mental (and physical) presence.
With Ruiz, I think you can solve that but just having him compete. I think the Saints have more pressing needs, but yeah, I have been admittedly disappointed with his play, as well.
I think we've been spoiled a little as Saints fans in that we've had a string of a few years where pretty much every offensive lineman was playing at a pro-bowl level. That is a rarity in the NFL.

Which coaches do you look up to, or asking another way, if you had a chance to spend 1 full day with any coach, who would it be, and what would you discuss?

Tra’Quan Smith. I like him but he’s always injured. Last year with Michael Thomas out we needed him to step up but, once again he missed a lot of game time due to injury. Do you expect more of the same or can his fortunes change?

How much do you favour mixing in an End-Will gap exchange versus RPO teams? Is there a sweet spot in terms of number of times, when it's not being over used and instead giving the offense an easy mismatch elsewhere?
For me, I always coach that gap exchange on the weakside vs read option (I want to differentiate between that double option end-read vs. RPO, which is a little bit broader in terms of scheme). In the NFL, it really comes down to personnel (I suppose it does at any level). So, in philosophical terms, I am pretty rigid when it comes to defending that weakside read option with a gap exchange--probably goes back to just being versed in that TCU 4-2-5, "spill it and kill philosophy". Keeping everything tight and gaps constricted.
I've also coached against gap exchange teams as a HC/OC, and the best way to do it is get +1 on that exchanging LB. Usually a H-back/sniffer or motion player who wraps around backside. Can be devastating if your QB's got a pair of wheels.
Now, if you're talking an RPO triple option (option read mesh quick slant on the weakside) you can exploit that gap exchanges. Teams have to add into the run game or play man to stop it.

Your thoughts on Pete Werner? Will he be able to be a above average starter next to DD? And do you see the Saints drafting a LB to compete there or are do you think they have that much confidence in Werner to replace Kwon full time?

Also I know CB is not a need but is there one say maybe in the that 49th pick range worth that spot, I know Stingley or Sauce won't be there but who would likely be there and worth that pick.

What are the chances Michael Thomas makes a full recovery and has a 1000 yard season?
Pretty strong I think. He's gonna have to build chemistry with Winston, but you got a QB who can sling it and a WR who is perpetually open and catches everything. I hope it's not a 140 catch season for him, but I could easily see 80-90 catches/1000+ yards.

Jaquan Brisker, the Safety from Penn State, do you like him as a good fit on our defense? Do you think he will still be on the board when we pick at R2/49?

Do you think that Ian Book is an NFL QB? and how does he stack up against this QB draft class? With Jameis, Dalton , and Book , i don't see the need for drafting a QB unless they were a sure thing.

Which coaches do you look up to, or asking another way, if you had a chance to spend 1 full day with any coach, who would it be, and what would you discuss?
Easy: Sean Payton. Hands down.
Without going too deep or getting myself in trouble, I find it hard to talk to a lot of coaches for an extended period of time. Particularly at the college level (this is where I might get myself in trouble), where the coaching culture is often times a little cultish and toxic. Coaches can often times trade genuine introspection for ham-fisted cliches... a lot of "iron sharpens iron" and "accountability this" and "lunchpale that."
Not saying those ideas don't ring true, but there are fresher ways to get your message across. One thing I love about Payton... and I wish more people appreciated... is how he comes a cross on a human level. Thoughful, introspective, self-aware. He strikes as someone you could sit down and drink with and you would find a lot of stuff other than football to talk about.
I like coaches like that, who bring some creativity and just some human qualities that just happen to translate well to leadership and coaching.
Last thing I'll say on that topic: the day of Payton's retirement press conference, I was texting with one of my former assistant coaches (an OL coach) who also was a huge Saints fan. During our lamenting, he told me that I reminded him of Sean Payton (or the way Sean Payton communicated). It's easily the greatest compliment I've been given as a coach, and not because I think I am as good a coach as Payton (and I don't think that was the intent of the compliment). But by the time I took my first HC job, Payton had won a Super Bowl, and I had been hanging on his every word already for a few years.
So, yeah, definitely Sean Payton, and it's not even close.

For me, I always coach that gap exchange on the weakside vs read option (I want to differentiate between that double option end-read vs. RPO, which is a little bit broader in terms of scheme). In the NFL, it really comes down to personnel (I suppose it does at any level). So, in philosophical terms, I am pretty rigid when it comes to defending that weakside read option with a gap exchange--probably goes back to just being versed in that TCU 4-2-5, "spill it and kill philosophy". Keeping everything tight and gaps constricted.
I've also coached against gap exchange teams as a HC/OC, and the best way to do it is get +1 on that exchanging LB. Usually a H-back/sniffer or motion player who wraps around backside. Can be devastating if your QB's got a pair of wheels.
Now, if you're talking an RPO triple option (option read mesh quick slant on the weakside) you can exploit that gap exchanges. Teams have to add into the run game or play man to stop it.
Great answer thanks and yes, I should have said read option, not RPO.

So are you saying high percentage of the time in gap exchange, or at least until offense forces you to adjust out of it? I've always thought it's a great adjustment almost out of the gate against those kinds of teams, but seems too obvious to work as a regular call/adjust against a half way competent offense/coach.

Easy: Sean Payton. Hands down.
Without going too deep or getting myself in trouble, I find it hard to talk to a lot of coaches for an extended period of time. Particularly at the college level (this is where I might get myself in trouble), where the coaching culture is often times a little cultish and toxic. Coaches can often times trade genuine introspection for ham-fisted cliches... a lot of "iron sharpens iron" and "accountability this" and "lunchpale that."
Not saying those ideas don't ring true, but there are fresher ways to get your message across. One thing I love about Payton... and I wish more people appreciated... is how he comes a cross on a human level. Thoughful, introspective, self-aware. He strikes as someone you could sit down and drink with and you would find a lot of stuff other than football to talk about.
I like coaches like that, who bring some creativity and just some human qualities that just happen to translate well to leadership and coaching.
Last thing I'll say on that topic: the day of Payton's retirement press conference, I was texting with one of my former assistant coaches (an OL coach) who also was a huge Saints fan. During our lamenting, he told me that I reminded him of Sean Payton (or the way Sean Payton communicated). It's easily the greatest compliment I've been given as a coach, and not because I think I am as good a coach as Payton (and I don't think that was the intent of the compliment). But by the time I took my first HC job, Payton had won a Super Bowl, and I had been hanging on his every word already for a few years.
So, yeah, definitely Sean Payton, and it's not even close.
Oh, and what we discuss? Probably 20% football and the other 80%, life.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom