Announcement Ask Me Anything with TCUDan Starts Now (a little early) (1 Viewer)

About our RB group, assuming Kamara is suspended for multiple games which guy not named Ingram is most likely to step up?
Abram Smith. I think he's going to jump Jones Jr. and Dwayne Washington. He's a little bit raw in his running style, but of those three, he has the best combination of instincts and explosiveness to contribute in the running game.

Darrell Williams would be an interesting insurance signing. Bringing in a guy like him was always more realistic than a Sony Michel, who I think wouldn't settle for less than #2 RB carries. Williams is very limited in the run game, but he's serviceable and a pretty good receiver out of the backfield. I think he'd be a good fit.

What are your expectations and timeframe for Winston to gel with our receiving corps?

We've got a QB coming off injury and not able to FULLY participate while healing from injury. A #1WR who essentially hasn't touched the field in 2yrs. A potential #2WR who has never played an NFL game. A #3WR that will need to learn our playroom (obviously more complex than his previous team). A #4 and #5 and potentially #6 WR that will be playing different positions than last year (should see improvements because they aren't going uo against #1/#2DB's.

Seems like a lot to accomplish and a short timeframe with Winston not expected to be 100% before TC.
Should we be worried?

I don't think it'll take too long. I could see him having some early issues with Olave, but Thomas and Landry are vets. They're also going to be targeted on a lot more of those high-percentage throws, and their playing style/speed is similar, whereas I see Olave being used way more down the field and he's going to be running at a different clip than the others. That connection may take some time (but then again, one of Jameis's strengths is those deep balls).

What is your thought of the Saints finally allowing Taysom to play TE full time and do you think Payton made a mistake not going in this direction with him?

Nah, I don't think Payton made a mistake. He saw something in Hill as a QB--and honestly, I see it too. Hill just had too many things going against him there: 1) age (getting a late start); 2) injuries; 3) too damn good at everything else.

Also worth considering that Hill probably would have moved on if Payton wouldn't have given him a chance to develop at QB--which, in my mind, they found a decent compromise. I guarantee you, if Hill would have hit the market a couple of years ago, someone else would have offered him the chance to compete at QB. That would have been the loss of a huge weapon.

But yeah, him concentrating his focus at F/TE is the right move. He'll still get those QB snaps in short yardage and red zone and whatnot, but he won't be spreading himself thin between QB, TE, and ST meetings. I have high expectations for him this season.

I don't think it'll take too long. I could see him having some early issues with Olave, but Thomas and Landry are vets. They're also going to be targeted on a lot more of those high-percentage throws, and their playing style/speed is similar, whereas I see Olave being used way more down the field and he's going to be running at a different clip than the others. That connection may take some time (but then again, one of Jameis's strengths is those deep balls).
I'm trying to get away from Madden positions such as WR1, WR2, WR3, etc.

At some point could you do an article explaining X, Y, Z and slot and which roster receivers fit best in which roles?

Abram Smith. I think he's going to jump Jones Jr. and Dwayne Washington. He's a little bit raw in his running style, but of those three, he has the best combination of instincts and explosiveness to contribute in the running game.

Darrell Williams would be an interesting insurance signing. Bringing in a guy like him was always more realistic than a Sony Michel, who I think wouldn't settle for less than #2 RB carries. Williams is very limited in the run game, but he's serviceable and a pretty good receiver out of the backfield. I think he'd be a good fit.
Williams signed with Cardinals IIRC.

Unfortunately, Darrel Williams signed with Arizona yesterday.

From a philosophy standpoint, which previous Saints team will the offense closely mirror?
I think/hope it'll resemble the 2009 Super Bowl team. Balanced, explosive, efficient. I would prefer to stay away from the style of play the offense had in Brees's 5,000 yard seasons.

Jameis took some big steps last season in proving that he's more than just a reckless gun slinger. With limited weapons, he played pretty efficient football. Will he be the 65%+ completion guy that Brees was? I doubt it. But as long as he stays above 60, keeps that INT column low, and hits on the home runs... I think the Saints could definitely replicate some of the magic from 2009.

Many feel Penning would benefit playing Guard this season. I’m not so sure about that. I believe continuing his development and pass protection fundementals at Tackle would benefit the team sooner.

It all depends on the coaches' vision for him, and my read is they drafted him to be the next franchise LT. I also think that's probably where he wants to play. It's not often that you get guys with that length/athleticims, and while I'm not saying playing him at G would be a "a waste"... I definitely think he would be better utilized at T, even if it means he doesn't start right away.

Armstead wasn't a day 1 starter at LT. I'm pretty sure Penning will be, but if he isn't, I certainly won't be giving up on him.

How much is personality considered when looking at bringing a player in or not?

This guy should be great in our system

Those 2 should play great together

But you think those 2 will hate each other

Or, the player is wrong for the team culture and may be a locker room cancer/bad influence

I'm trying to get away from Madden positions such as WR1, WR2, WR3, etc.

At some point could you do an article explaining X, Y, Z and slot and which roster receivers fit best in which roles?
The quick rundown is X (traditionally called "split end") is your open side WR. Set on the line, outside, facing more press, usually your #1 WR. Z (traditionally called "flanker) is on the TE side in a pro set, usually off the line, able to go in motion. Y is your TE or your slot (depending on personnel/formation).

Now all of this gets really muddled up in modern offenses, but in terms of the Saints, Thomas would be the X, Olave would be the Z, and Landry would be the Y. But just about every WR in the NFL moves around, and you see a lot of inverted formations where the Y is outside, the X is on the line but tightened down in the slot, etc.

In short, X,Y,Z etc can be thought of in terms of both formation and "role." But most teams have guys who can fit into more than one of those letters, in both regards.

How much is personality considered when looking at bringing a player in or not?

This guy should be great in our system

Those 2 should play great together

But you think those 2 will hate each other

Or, the player is wrong for the team culture and may be a locker room cancer/bad influence

Really, really, REALLY depends on the team. When Dennis Allen talks about how much they weight the caliber of the person and how they fit with the team, I believe him. The Saints locker room celebrations may seem like a trite indicator, but stuff like that, the collective defensive celebrations, etc... that tells me that the Saints have really prioritized culture over the past few seasons and it's worked.

Always worth remembering that excellence in one of those categories can make up for a deficiency in another. Great character can make up for a little lack in talent. Unreal talent can lead to a slight compromise on character. Etc.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom