Administrator
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
askmike.jpg

By Mike Detillier - SaintsReport.com

<b>Name: Harley Rush

Handle: Rushoroot

Comments:</b>

Hey Mike, I always enjoy your comments on the radio and on the Saints Report. Last Monday you said that you would take Carson Palmer as your QB, if Peyton Manning and Tom Brady were off the board in a draft of quarterbacks. What about our own Drew Brees? He has played great this year. Got to go with Brees over Palmer. Do you think that Scott Fujita will make the Pro-Bowl?

Thanks and keep up the great work.

<hr color="#A29B4F"><br />

It&#8217;s been a while Rushoroot.. You must have had a few pops when you heard me say that I would take Carson Palmer today as my 3rd quarterback in a draft of veteran QB&#8217;s.

Just kidding man, but what I did say to Bobby Hebert was that if you asked me January 1st of 2006, before Carson went down to the knee injury, I would have taken him over any other QB in the league at that time if Manning and Brees were off the board. He is a terrific young QB prospect with a great arm and very good touch, but he just is not as sturdy in the pocket this season as we all saw last season. That is expected. He underwent a very serious knee operation and made a remarkable recovery, but he isn&#8217;t quite the same guy as we all saw last year. That statement I made a year ago. I think you are yanking the chain, but Carson Palmer was something special last season and based on his performance and upside I couldn&#8217;t go another way at that time.

There is no doubt that Drew Brees has played at a level that you would have to take him with a top five pick. I would vote Peyton Manning today as the NFL&#8217;s MVP, but there is no doubt in mind that Drew Brees is the best QB playing in the NFC today. His presence out on the field is very similar to that of Joe Montana when he played for the 49ers. You just think you are always in the game with him out there. His accuracy skills are just remarkable and just remember he is playing with a rookie receiver (now I will say Marques Colston looks like a real special player and he will be the Offensive Rookie of the Year, but he is a rookie), a veteran in Joe Horn-who has fought injuries for quite a few weeks, a receiver that was not on the roster until the final cut in Terrance Copper and a talented, but jittery and inconsistent WR in Devery Henderson.

Add to that an offensive line that is set-up with players that either weren&#8217;t here a year ago or, if they were, they were playing in another spot.

It is a just unbelievable to watch him and understand that he went through a very serious shoulder operation in the off-season and he didn&#8217;t have a huge amount of time to work with his receivers in the spring due to the operation and rehab.

It would be an injustice if Scott Fujita didn&#8217;t make the Pro-Bowl squad. This guy has played terrific all season long and give Gary Gibbs, the Saints defensive coordinator, a lot of credit for pushing hard for him, especially after the Rams quickly signed Will Witherspoon, who the Saints wanted as their starting MLB. The team of Gibbs and Payton knew they better make him an offer he couldn&#8217;t pass on and give credit to GM Mickey Loomis for quickly setting the deal up.

Scott has played very well, he has excellent football instincts, but what has impressed me the most is his super quick reaction skills to what is breaking down on the field. He was a solid player in Kansas City and Dallas, but he has really played at a level he has never played like before. He is also a born team-leader and he expects and demands high play from his teammates. He also is pretty strong in pass coverage also. Yes indeed, I do believe that Scott Fujita will make the Pro-Bowl.

Rushoroot, we miss not seeing you at Boomtown, but I know you got to make a living man, so take care.

<b>Name: Ed Charles

Handle: Tigers2thetop

Mike, love your stuff.. Wish we could read more of it regularly.

A few weeks back I called you while you were doing an interview with The Times Picayune&#8217;s Tiger reporter Jim Kleinpeter. You told me that you guys were talking about Glenn Dorsey and Jamarcus Russell. What happened to the interview? I saw a piece on Dorsey, but none of your comments. Also I have listened to Hokie Gajan a few times on Friday nights and he has said more than once that Russell is not a 1st round pick player. I can well understand why he is no longer scouting. What is your take?

Do you think the Saints can convince Jon Stinchcomb to move to left guard, take left guard money and move Zach Strief to right tackle?

If Arkansas&#8217; Darren McFadden were in this draft where would he be picked? I know he is just a sophomore, but I remember how much you gushed over about him before the LSU game and he looks like a terrific NFL prospect.

I know it is a lot, but could you give me your most recent top 20 prospects for the 2007 draft, including some juniors.

Thanks in advance.

Tigers2, I really can&#8217;t answer your question about the article with Jim. I did speak to him for quite a while about both, but it is his article to write.

I can tell you what I told him and that is that both Tiger players would go in Round 1, if they declared early.

Glenn Dorsey has played and deserves to be mentioned as the best defensive tackle in college football. Dorsey, along with Michigan&#8217;s Alan Branch, who is also a junior, are the best DT&#8217;s in college football.

Dorsey is a terrific run defender, but what separates him is his ability to rush the QB from the inside. He reminds me a lot of La&#8217;Roi Glover. This is just my opinion, but he is a better prospect than &#8220;Booger&#8221; McFarland was when he entered the NFL. Both play great in run defense, both are quick off the snap, and both can effectively play off blocks, but what separates Dorsey is his pass rush ability. He is a better pass rusher and inside pressure man than McFarland was at the same stage. I believe that he would be a 13-17 pick in the 1st round in 2007, if he declares early.

Jamarcus is a 1st round lock, as far as I am concerned. I have great respect for Hokie, but I respectfully disagree with that assessment. Every QB who has ever taken a snap tries to do too much with the football. It is a habit he must break, but he has been terrific for the Tigers in his 2&#189;-year starting time. I have said this before, but he is a bigger, stronger, an even stronger-armed QB and more athletic version of what Doug Williams was when he came out of Grambling. I am predicting this today and that is that Russell will knock the socks off the scouts once they work him out and he will be a mid-1st round pick. There is no doubt that he is the most gifted QB to play at LSU since Bert Jones and many of the same knocks placed on Russell were levied on Jones in his college career and I am old enough to remember that also.

Ed, it&#8217;s a great idea, but why would Jon buy into that. He wants to get paid as a starting right tackle and to be honest he has earned that distinction. I always believed that he was best suited to play left guard, but he has surprised me and virtually everyone else on how well he has played at right tackle and he deserves to be paid for that spot. If I was his agent, I would demand to be paid like a starting right tackle and in this league, if the Saints will not pay him that amount, someone else will with all the teams looking for starting tackles.

It would make great sense, but I think that Mickey Loomis knows he will have to offer him a contract that is similar to other starting right tackles in this league. I know there has been some dialogue between the two sides, but this is Jon&#8217;s &#8220;money&#8221; year and I can well understand why he may, and I say may, play a little hard ball, money wise.

I really hope they can agree to a new deal because the guy plays hard, he is smart, he works hard to improve his overall game and he has fought through a lot of adversity to get himself to this spot. He isn&#8217;t the most overpowering run blocker, but he has really developed into a good pass protector on the right side.

I do agree that Zack Strief&#8217;s best spot is at right tackle and if they can&#8217;t come to agreeable terms with Stinchcomb he would be a good fit there. In many respects he is a bigger and a stouter version of Stinchcomb. Strief is also smart, technically sound, a very hard-working young man and he takes great pride in his play, just like Jon.

If Darren McFadden would be in the 2007 draft he would be a top-5 pick. It would be a tight race between McFadden and Oklahoma&#8217;s Adrian Peterson, who is actually draft eligible, if he chooses to come out early, as to who would be the top running back selected. There is no doubt that McFadden would be an elite prospect even as a sophomore in 2007. With Peterson down to an injury, even though he may soon return, I believe he is the best running back in college football. Darren has a great combination of size, speed, quickness, power, and great field vision and no matter how hard he gets hit he is always moving forward. I can&#8217;t wait to see him and the Hogs go head-up against the Tigers. McFadden is the most dominant offensive player in the SEC, edging out LSU&#8217;s Jamarcus Russell. If he stays healthy McFadden is going to be one of the top two Heisman favorites in 2007 and the Hogs are going to be real tough, and I mean real tough to deal with not only this season, but next season also.

You got it. Here&#8217;s my top 20.

1. Brady Quinn, Quarterback, Notre Dame, 6-4, 225

Poised, cool under pressure and he is still on top of the 2007 heap.

2. Calvin Johnson, Wide Receiver, Georgia Tech, 6-4, 230 (Jr.)

Larry Fitzgerald clone and he is a tad faster.

3. Adrian Peterson, Halfback, Oklahoma, 6-2, 215 (Jr.)

Has had a few injury setbacks, but he is a dominant runner.

4. Joe Thomas, Offensive Tackle, Wisconsin, 6-7, 305

He seems to be regaining his dominant nature each and every week.

5. Ted Ginn, Jr., Wide Receiver, Ohio State, 6-0, 180 (Jr.)

Ginn is dynamite in a small package, but what a bang.

6. Justin Blalock, Offensive Tackle/Guard, Texas, 6-4, 330

This guy is one tough hombre as both a run blocker and pass protector.

7. Dwayne Jarrett, Wide Receiver, USC, 6-4, 210 (Jr.)

Has battled injuries this season, but he is one heck of a playmaker.

8. Jake Long, Offensive Tackle, Michigan, 6-6, 315 (Jr.)

Has dominated play up-front each and every week as well as any O-lineman in the country.

9. Quentin Moses, Defensive End, Georgia, 6-4, 255

Underachiever as a senior, but he has tremendous pass rush potential.

10. Leon Hall, Cornerback, Michigan, 5-11, 195

Best cover man in college football&#8230;.

11. Gaines Adams, Defensive End, Clemson, 6-5, 260

Starting to play like he did late last year and that was really something special.

12. Marshawn Lynch, Halfback, California, 5-11, 225 (Jr.)

Nice combination of size, power and speed.

13. Glenn Dorsey, Defensive Tackle, LSU, 6-2, 290 (Jr.)

Best DT. in college football.

14. Patrick Willis, Inside Linebacker, Mississippi, 6-1, 235

Best inside LB. to come out of the SEC since Al Wilson with the Denver Broncos.

15. Alan Branch, Defensive Tackle, Michigan, 6-5, 332 (Jr.)

Pressing LSU&#8217;s Dorsey for the top DT spot.

16. LaRon Landry, Free Safety, LSU, 6-2, 210

Bigger version of what Ed Reed was when he came out of Miami (Fla.).

17. Paul Posluszny, Inside/Outside Linebacker, Penn State, 6-2, 235

Starting to make plays in bunches like he did last season, but his knee must check out OK for him to be picked this high.

18. JaMarcus Russell, Quarterback, LSU, 6-5, 255 (Jr.)

He could get picked a lot higher than this, if he continues to play strong down the stretch.

19. Robert Meachem, Wide Receiver, Tennessee, 6-2 &#189;, 210 (Jr.)

The most electrifying WR in the SEC.

20. Darrelle Revis, Cornerback, Pittsburgh, 5-11, 200 (Jr.)

Shows real signs of being a top cover-cornerback and his ball reaction skills are outstanding.

Take care, Ed. Hopefully we will talk again soon.

<b>Name: Guillermo Martinez-Zalce

Handle: guillermo

Hi Mike. A couple of questions discussed lately in the forum about two young players.

The first one is about Reggie Bush. Some of us think that the problem that Reggie is having is that he has not learned yet to be patient and read the holes before attacking. I think it will take some time for him, as it took Tiki Barber, to learn to use his skills properly in the NFL. Concerning this, what is your opinion of our running backs coach, George Henshaw, and the job he is doing on teaching Reggie on how to attack the line.

My second question is on Chase Lyman and do you think there is a chance we will see him in a Saints uniform again.

As always, many thanks for your comments, Guillermo

Guillermo, those are two real good questions.

I certainly agree that what you see right now is an overanxious Reggie Bush hitting the line of scrimmage and at times trying to make every play a 60-yarder to the outside. At times we have seen him so anxious to hit the hole that he either runs or almost runs into Drew Brees or he is right up the back of the lineman. Patience will come with time, but right now Reggie is trying so hard to make big plays and not naturally letting his overall skills and instincts take over, and that he is overextending his skills. He has tremendous foot speed and quickness, but the NFL game is so fast that the big runs he would normally make in college is being cut off by the faster LB&#8217;s and DB&#8217;s at this level on the edge.

Before the Pittsburgh game he was pitty-patting with his feet before hitting the hole and he needs to learn how to straighten up, use his great vision and hit the hole with more strength and authority.

In the Pittsburgh game he hit the hole with more authority and it seemed as though he was understanding that every play was not going to be a homerun play and that at times he is only going to hit a single or a double as a runner (3 to 5 yards).

Remember also that RB&#8217;s look for tendencies in their linemen and he is playing with an O-line group for the first time also. At USC, it was a quick read system and he just shot through a hole. Those type holes shrink to small spaces in the NFL. Right now Reggie has to learn how to run with better patience and let his tremendous natural running skills take over. To be honest, he looks as though he is pressing too hard to make huge plays and at times not reading his blocks well enough.

The one area no on can argue with is that he has been a tremendous aid in the passing game. Virtually every defensive coordinator that has went up against the Saints, (or I should say every one but the Ravens D/C Rex Ryan) has commented after the game how much effect Bush had on their schemes in passing situations to match up against him.

George Henshaw is a good RB&#8217;s coach and his main feature as a coach is to emphasize good technique and he wants feedback on what feels most comfortable to the back. He has pointed out to Reggie about the ability to use better vision and to not always be looking for the huge run and to take with authority what the defense gives him.

Henshaw can teach good technique, but running backs thrive on their own instincts, the ability to run with authority and the ability to read blocks quickly. Reggie Bush puts a lot of pressure on himself to become a bigger part of the Saints offense. Once he learns how to control his anxiousness and he becomes more natural the sky is the limit for him. In a nutshell the game has to slow down for him mentally for him to become more effective. He is pressing too much and trying to make every play a highlight film spot.

I respect Chase Lyman quite a bit as a player and a man. I really hope that the Saints give him another shot to play in this league. It is crystal clear that he was over-drafted, but that was not his fault. He has done everything he can to play in the NFL, but he just has not been able to get himself back in peek shape, speed wise, and while he has great size and outstanding hands, his ability to separate from defenders was just not quite there yet. A lot of guys would have thrown the towel in due to all the injuries he has encountered, but he has done a real good job rehabbing his knee and getting back into the league.

Hopefully he can continue to get back his overall speed and separation quickness and give it another shot with the Saints. Believe me, in this business, those type injuries and operations he has endured through take a real toll on your body.

Take care. Good questions.

<b>Name: Jim Sylve

Handle: Jim

Mike, do you agree that the Saints&#8217; only glaring weakness at this point has been the play of the secondary? Do you think that the saints will draft a first round cornerback next year?

Thanks for your input, keep up the good work.

Jim, I would agree that the biggest area of need for this team in 2007 is at cornerback. The safety spots, especially when Josh Bullocks and Roman Harper were the starters, were a real strength on this team. Omar Stoutmire is one tough hombre, but he is not one you want going one-on-one with TE&#8217;s or WR&#8217;s downfield on a consistent basis. Against Pittsburgh, he seemed to be out of position on a couple of running plays. In run support, you need to make sure you play the right gap defense and Stoutmire was clearly out of position on some plays.

Fred Thomas has played pretty well this season, but he is 33 years old now and he has been nicked up a bit. Mike McKenzie lost a big part of his game when the rules changed on bumping and hitting receivers after five yards were really enforced. He has done a nice job in run support this season, but his foot speed in coverage was just a little bit above average to begin with and he is losing more and more one-on-one battles downfield. His play has just been so erratic with the Saints, one game looking real good and others he is constantly getting picked on. He was brought in and paid quite handsomely to be a top one-on-one cover guy, but he has not played up to that level on a consistent basis. I will say though he has played pretty well against the run and showed some run-down ability I didn&#8217;t think he had, but from a coverage standpoint he has clearly not played up to the lofty pay he receives.

This team has to spend free agent capital on a veteran starting cornerback and use a 1st or 2nd round pick on another cornerback. The cornerback spot has to be the top spot or spots to upgrade in the off-season.

I believe that Mike McKenzie will be gone after this season. For his money capital, it doesn&#8217;t make sense to keep him around with that high a cap number.

The two best senior cornerbacks are Leon Hall (Michigan ) and Marcus McCauley (Fresno State), both projected as 1st round choices.. Junior Darrelle Revis (Pittsburgh) could also end up in Round 1, if he declares early. Hall will be gone within the top 12 to 14 picks, so keep a close eye on McCauley in some of the all-star games.

Take care.

<b>Name: Aaron Nethercott

Hi Mike,

Could you explain if we keep the current roster what our cap room will be like when free agency starts? From what I know we are one of the better teams in terms of being under the cap. Do you think Loomis and Payton will go after some high profile free agents like Nate Clements, Donnie Edwards and Lance Briggs to fill big area needs, or follow the Patriots way and try to sign some under the radar workhorses who fit the scheme like Fujita and build through the draft?

Secondly, which positions/players do you think we will likely go after in the early rounds?

Many thanks,
Aaron

Aaron, the one area Mickey Loomis, along with the help of Russ Ball, has done is manage the cap very well. Now in the past all of us can question the players they brought in, but this team had always done a good job managing the cap number and the Saints will be in good shape next off-season.

What will change is how this team looks at spending their money. Players like Charles Grant, Jon Stinchcomb, Mark Simoneau, and Hollis Thomas, etc., will all be free agents and the Saints want them back, but it is a matter of setting the right price, especially with Charles Grant. He will command big dollars and if the Saints don&#8217;t pay him what he feels he is worth, you can bet the bank someone else will. I know there has been some discussion with his agent on a new deal, but he will be a big money investment and it is the matter of setting the right &#8220;money&#8221; bar for the Saints to come to an agreement with him. That will certainly affect how much money will be left and how the Saints attack free agency. It is also could change the positions if you lose any of the four, and all are starters.

What happens to those four will affect if this team goes after just say one high profile player and then try to acquire medium range or starter-role types or they just try and sign medium range or role type players and concentrate more on getting players via the draft.

Some veterans could be jettisoned to create cap-room and I certainly believe that will happen also.

Depending on his price tag, I certainly expect the Saints to make a strong pitch to Donnie Edwards. If they make a move toward Nate Clements you can expect a lot more competition for his services. Young cornerbacks command a huge price tag and like Charles Grant someone will pay him what he wants.

With the top four picks, I expect this team to draft a cornerback, defensive tackle, wide receiver and outside linebacker.

Ideally the Saints would like to pick up a starter-type cornerback and middle linebacker in veteran free agency, but that may change if the Saints lose any of the top four.

Believe me, Charles Grant will be an expensive signee for the Saints, or whoever goes after him if he becomes a free agent. I sit next to a group of NFL scouts for Saints games and virtually every one of them are eyeing Grant. This just goes to show how important and how much young, potentially really good defensive ends are in the NFL world.

<b>Name: Dornak, Jason

Handle: Tater

Mike,love you stuff. I know it's early and the NFL draft is not for another 6 months but what positions do you think the Saints should target?

Tater

Tater, I have to say that a cornerback and big defensive tackle to bring into the rotation has to be real high on the &#8220;want&#8221; list come draft time. Another wide receiver and a solid outside linebacker also need to be picked pretty early. I would like to see this team pick up a starting veteran cornerback in free agency and a veteran middle linebacker via free agency.

What happens to DE Charles Grant and DT Hollis Thomas could well effect how high or how much money gets spent along the defensive line since both are free agents.

A few possible 1st round players to watch are Marcus McCauley-CB Fresno State and DT&#8217;s DeMarcus &#8220;Tank&#8217; Tyler and Louisville&#8217;s Amobi Okoye.

Take care.

<b>Name: Randall, Eric

Handle: nsusaint

Hey Mike, if you could have one person to fill a hole for this Saints team out of all the college players who would it be. I would really want to see the Saints get Ted Ginn, Jr. Could you imagine an offense with Reggie and Ginn in it?

Eric

Not picking real early you can rule out Ted Ginn, Jr., if he comes out early and I expect that to happen. The two guys that come to the forefront, senior wise that is, would be Patrick Willis (Ole Miss) or Leon Hall (Michigan). Willis is the best MLB to come out of the SEC since Al Wilson (Tennessee) and he is like a one-man defensive showcase for the Rebels. He could be a fixture at MLB for this team for ten years. Hall is a little on the smaller side, but he is a very good one-on-one cover man and he has excellent catch-up ability. He also is good in run support. I don&#8217;t think there is a shutdown cornerback anymore due to rule changes, even though Champ Bailey is close, but you always look for quality cover men and Hall is just that.

The way the Saints are playing both could well be long gone before they pick. A threesome to watch that will get picked in the 20&#8217;s are Louisville DT Amobi Okoye, Fresno State CB Marcus McCauley and DT DeMarcus &#8220;Tank&#8221; Tyler from North Carolina State.

Ted Ginn, Jr. is a big-play weapon ready to happen. He has tremendous foot speed and explosiveness downfield. He has really worked on becoming a more refined route runner and he is catching the ball much cleaner today than in the past. He reminds me a lot of a younger version of Terry Glenn, another Buckeye wide-out. If he comes, out Ginn will be a top 12 pick.

<b>Name: Jack Tumlinson

Handle: JackT.

How would you rate the three receivers at LSU? Also, do you think with the new rules putting the cornerback at more a disadvantage would teams go away from the so called &#8220;shutdown&#8221; corners in favor of cover 2 types. How do you project JaMarcus Russell to go in the NFL?

Thanks for your insights. Wish you would post more on SaintsReport.com. We miss you here. Thanks.

Thanks, Jack T. I appreciate the nice comments.

Dwayne Bowe and Craig &#8220;Buster&#8221; Davis are both rated as 2nd round choices. Bowe is a big, very strong receiver, who knows how to work the inside routes very well and he is catching the ball much cleaner now that he underwent eye-surgery. While he isn&#8217;t blazing-fast, he has deceptive speed and he can break away from the pack. His strength is his ability to run good routes, he knows how to use his great size to the fullest and he has a knack for getting open and getting into the end zone. I also really like his work ethic and he is a team leader.

Buster Davis has great speed and I feel as though he has made a big jump up the draft boards. He has a tremendous burst of speed into and out of his breaks and he has really upgraded his route-running skills. Davis also catches the ball real clean now and while he still has a tendency to catch balls against the body, he has really upgraded his ability to catch the ball out front with his hands. In many ways he is a more refined and not as jittery version of Devery Henderson, when he was at LSU. He is a big-play wide-out and a pretty good return man also.

Expect both to be taken in the 2nd round.

Early Doucet is really developed into a &#8220;money&#8221; performer for the Tigers. He is a terrific athlete, who is very creative after the catch and like Buster he is catching the ball much cleaner in 2006.

Early still has a tendency to round off his pass routes, but he works hard to get open and I really love his ability to turn a short pass into a big-play. Doucet was considered an inconsistent performer as a sophomore and he earned that distinction, but he has really upgraded his overall game as a junior due to his improved route running skills and his ability to set up defenders in a better fashion.

With continual development Early has a chance to be a 1st round choice in 2008.

What a threesome the Tigers have at wide receiver.

Not really on the cover-2 guys. A lot of pro teams play a combo of coverages and you still need good one-on-one cover guys. Now I will say they are getting harder to find, but the shortage has been that most top athletes today in high school want to play wide receiver in college and many college players that would be excellent cover cornerbacks are playing wide receiver. Jack, in this business of pro football, it is the cornerbacks with the combo of decent size, excellent speed and quickness and above-average to good coverage skills, that get picked real high. The cover-2 guys seem to still be picked down the road a bit. Offenses today spread you out so much that you better have some good one-on-one cover guys to match up, even if you play a lot of Cover-2 defenses.

I do agree with you 100% with the notion that there are really no &#8220;shut-down&#8221; cornerbacks anymore in this league. Denver&#8217;s Champ Bailey is the closest to that description, but all the rules favor the offenses today.

I know that there has been a lot of discussion on this, but I feel strongly that JaMarcus Russell is a sure fire 1st round pick, if he declares early. Honestly, in my opinion, he would be the 2nd best quarterback in this draft, if he declared tomorrow behind Notre Dame&#8217;s Brady Quinn. I also strongly believe that Russell will make a super strong move on the draft boards once they work him out. He has great size, the best arm in college football, he has developed into a very accurate passer and pretty good touch on his shorter throws. Like every young QB, he thinks he can put a football in any spot, but he will learn that sometimes taking the shorter and better percentage pass is better than drilling the football between 2 defenders downfield.

He also is a pretty good athlete, he was a standout basketball player and he will run effectively with the ball. If he declares in January, watch and see if he doesn&#8217;t make a move up the draft charts and a hard push into the top 15.

Take care.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom