Ask Underhill (1 Viewer)

Hey Nick, do we have any interest in guys like Everson Griffin or any additional corners? Or do we go with the guys we have in camp?

I think the Saints have set their price on a couple players and it will be up to them to decide if they want to play here for that price.

They can get by with what they have at corner, but I do know they were looking at one early in the draft. If there was the right opportunity, I could see it, but I'm not quite sure who fits the bill right now.

Nick what are you hearing about Ruiz as far as where he will be getting reps on the line? I know he’s played some games at guard in college but do you see the saints giving him an opportunity for snaps at center or has McCoy cemented that spot?

Nick what are you hearing about Ruiz as far as where he will be getting reps on the line? I know he’s played some games at guard in college but do you see the saints giving him an opportunity for snaps at center or has McCoy cemented that spot?

They want him at center but the learning curve will determine if he plays there this season. Max Unger has talked about how it took him well into the season to get comfortable with the play calls and cadences, and he was a veteran when he got here. McCoy was still making mistakes into the season last year and he had the whole offseason program.

I wrote a thing on my site about how deploying the speed across the line at various positions would give the Saints the second-fastest offensive line in the NFL. Really could help with outside-zone runs and screens, which both took a hit the last couple of years.

Hey Nick, with all the Clowney and Jets showing interest and Griffen being looked at by Green Bay 🤮 what do you think about Saints looking at Clay Mathews and Logan Ryan possibly?

Hey Nick, with all the Clowney and Jets showing interest and Griffen being looked at by Green Bay 🤮 what do you think about Saints looking at Clay Mathews and Logan Ryan possibly?

Haven't heard anything on either one but the market could open now that camps are opening. Everything was stalled out there for a little bit.

You'd have to have to have a vision for Logan Ryan. He's not a guy you want full-time at outside corner. He could fill in there, but he's better as a player you move around. He probably also wants real money.

Last edited:
Hi Nick,

Do you think it could be beneficial to keep Brees on a snap count during the regular season?

Hey everyone,

With camps set to start soon I wanted to jump in come in here and do a Q&A with you guys to help set the stage for the season. I'll pop in and out of here throughout the week and answer as many questions as I can as time permits.

As always, I see and appreciate the support you all show to me. Anyone who wants to sign up to the site can do so with the code that I set up awhile ago for you all. Just use SAINTSREPORTCOM at checkout to save $10 on an annual plan.
I just want to thank you again for doing this. We missed you last season. we are so thrilled to have you back.

Nick, I heard you on Payton's conference call today.

Is it just me or does it seem like Payton is officially in his zone? This offseason he was being jolly, jovial, even tweeting jokes on Twitter frequently. On the call today it sounded like he was back to his "no nonsense" approach haha.

Mask On Mask Off

Hi Nick,

Do you think it could be beneficial to keep Brees on a snap count during the regular season?

I don't think they should do it in games, but they should probably limit his throws as best possible during the season. Payton has mentioned a few times about dialing him back on Thursday as being a possibility (he already doesn't throw on Wednesday). I think that would be smart. This would also allow for more evaluation of Jameis and Taysom throughout the year.

Apologies for taking so long to get back in here today. Got tied up with work. I plan to keep this going through Friday if you guys are still firing off questions.

Nick, I heard you on Payton's conference call today.

Is it just me or does it seem like Payton is officially in his zone? This offseason he was being jolly, jovial, even tweeting jokes on Twitter frequently. On the call today it sounded like he was back to his "no nonsense" approach haha.

Mask On Mask Off

I thought he was definitely setting a tone. I wrote a column about it that is on NOF right now. He wasn't even biting on the philosophical stuff that he usually will entertain. I think there was a reason for that, which was to convey to everyone else that it is time for a singular focus.

They have some contingency plans. We'll see what those look like if things get bad, but I'm not overly concerned yet. Football has stronger protocols than baseball. They aren't traveling for as many games. And if an outbreak happens for a specific team, the schedule sets up so that they'd only really have to be taken out of the mix for a week. I think the league could easily push back the playoffs a week or two if they had to make up some games.

I think the main thing is that we have to assume the virus is going to impact the league in some form or fashion. The hope has to be that it doesn't spread too far within a team before it is caught, but the idea that it isn't going to exist at all isn't realistic. You can probably expect for a couple hundred positive tests this week as players check in.
Being “only taken out for a week” when there are only 16 games, is significant. And I will bet, not if, but when teams start losing players to the virus, it will be more than 1 or 2. It will highly likely be 5-6. No way does this season play out fully. And players will need to go through a pretty rigorous physical exam after they have had it. In case you all have not been reading, a vast majority of people are showing to have heart damage after they have had the virus. No way are players only going to be out one week. That is a crazy thought, when you think about the league being unionized. They will shut it down in a heart beat.

Hey Nick, looking waaaaay ahead, based off of current contract statuses and overall depth of each position, what do you foresee as needs/wants in next year's draft?

Thanks!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom