Asking Cops the same questions they ask us (2 Viewers)

But you didn’t answer the first part of the question, which can now be restated, ‘do you hold yourself and peers to a higher accountability level than you do the ‘good cops’’?

yeah I do. I entered my profession for a reason and if I simply say ok be adequate then how can I stand up here and complain about others? I mean really. If I can’t walk the walk, then don’t say it

yeah I do. I entered my profession for a reason and if I simply say ok be adequate then how can I stand up here and complain about others? I mean really. If I can’t walk the walk, then don’t say it

Ok, then I think the follow-up question would be, If you hold yourself to this standard, why would you not hold cops to that standard?

Ok, then I think the follow-up question would be, If you hold yourself to this standard, why would you not hold cops to that standard?
I’m trying to be nice. My feelings about cops have been well stated over the years. I’ve known a few good ones, plenty of power hungry jerks and a few that the only difference between them and the criminals they put away was the badge.
Every job should have accountability. I don’t care if you are a doctor, nurse, teacher, cop, judge, whatever. When you get into situations where there is no real accountability, (each of those jobs to varying degrees) then yeah you are going to have people go to unacceptable extremes. It’s not right, and it shouldn’t be allowed. Yet we as a society have created a near militarized police force. It’s not right, but that’s what we have made. And it’s polluted the whole system.

I’m trying to be nice. My feelings about cops have been well stated over the years. I’ve known a few good ones, plenty of power hungry jerks and a few that the only difference between them and the criminals they put away was the badge.
Every job should have accountability. I don’t care if you are a doctor, nurse, teacher, cop, judge, whatever. When you get into situations where there is no real accountability, (each of those jobs to varying degrees) then yeah you are going to have people go to unacceptable extremes. It’s not right, and it shouldn’t be allowed. Yet we as a society have created a near militarized police force. It’s not right, but that’s what we have made. And it’s polluted the whole system.
i think the confusion is that the position you are stating does not seem to align with your post when you said you generally agree with Orion

i think the confusion is that the position you are stating does not seem to align with your post when you said you generally agree with Orion
I keep trying to want to give cops the benefit of the doubt. I try to think that in these cases where police are being set up by video and such that there needs to be caution as the beginnings are never shown which puts the police in an even worse light. There is that whole background as Jim Mora said “you don’t know what you don’t know”. As I get older and have more family members in law enforcement I try to want to see a reason behind why they act as they do. I know sometimes there are things that are done that may not make sense to an outsider to lump everyone into a good or bad character isn’t fair to the good/average people I also understand that the police in no way can defend themselves publicly. That individual officer cannot go out into the public and explain why he did what he did. So you are left with cellphone coverage, and what witnesses and parents say. You also have the slant of the news media which by its nature anymore stirs up the pot to increase traffic to its sites.
For example, there was a shooting in Fresno a few years back. Young kid got out of his truck and was shot to death by police. Watch the full video, you can see he’s being a defiant ****, never showing his arm which was behind his back walking at the cops jawing with them. That part was t shown very often. And in this one scenario I knew this kid. No matter how many times they brought his parents out in front of the media crying about how he was such a good kid, I’m here to assure you his actions in now way surprised me, and his dad was exactly the same way.

So, I do have a conflict. There is the younger part of me who dealt with idiot cops on power trips. There was the cop in the town I work at who pulled me over and gave me the third degree (drove the same truck for 10 years and was wearing my staff shirt and all this) about if I had warrants out for my arrest and if I was carrying drugs or what my legal status was. I’m like dumbarse, I’m white, grey haired, been a teacher in this community for 20 years, and am widely known to coach kids sports at that time which in California all require background checks. Or when I drove my Super Sport to pick up my daughter after work and we were joking about something stupid and a cop pulled me over and started going cop on me about how I was speeding, 70 mph in her words in a 30mph zone, over the bridge (I was going the wrong direction) yelling at my daughter, who was looking at the cop with a what the **** are you talking about look and how I ran a stop sign. Now how anyone could conceivably do this is beyond belief as a) I was going the wrong direction, b) I was caught in after school kid pickup traffic, following a school bus, c) to do all of the things possible would’ve required at least 8 min and almost a mile and 9 turns And d, the corner I supposedly ran was at a right hand turn 75 feet from the end of the bridge. Her reply in the end was I must’ve had you confused with someone else. Yeah bullshirt there. I know for a fact I owned the only bright red SS in the area. It stuck out like a sore thumb and everyone in the district knew I drove it, so screwing around to that extent would’ve gotten me a meeting with HR I’m pretty sure if it actually happened.
So when you see the conflict there it is. A professional older part of me, vs the younger part of me which detests police.

on an unrelated note...I recently watched "First Blood" again, and I noticed something. That entire movie should never have happened:

--When Rambo tells the sheriff he's passing through town and wants to get something to eat, why didn't the sheriff simply drop him off at Dairy Queen? Why did the sheriff have such a bloodthirsty NEED to run him out of town?
--How is it that all of the cops were such violent psycopaths?
--How on earth did they get the entirety of the state national guard on site in a couple of hours simply because Rambo escaped and killed a cop? When was the last time the national guard was mobilized that quickly?

Brian Dennehy who played the sheriff in First Blood just passed away

Only bc we’re in Qtimes will I avoid crushing this softball
You’re welcome

I am sorry, did I interrupt your Rambo thread?

My opinion... Antagonizing cops is stupid. Like the people walking into public places carrying ar15's because of the second amendment...

Now Back to your regularly scheduled Rambo discussion.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom