Assante Samuel to Eagles? KFFL Reports Deal Done [MERGED] (1 Viewer)

You'd think they'd focus on spending that cash more on help for McNabb, like Moss or someone. They're secondary is much better than their receivers.

You'd think they'd focus on spending that cash more on help for McNabb, like Moss or someone. They're secondary is much better than their receivers.

Well the rumor floating around the net is that they will sign Asante and then trade Lito to the Cardinals for Fitzgerald. The rumored contract to Asante is 5 year 55 million with 22 guaranteed. Makes sense at first but Fitzgerald is due to make 16 million this year. Asante is only an upgrade over Lito because he doesn't have the injury concerns. This means the Eagles would be paying out a third of their entire salary cap to two players. Plus Fitzgerald is on the final year of his contract. The only way I see this happening is if Fitzgerald negotiates a new contract with Philly or renegotiates his old deal, something he refused to do for Arizona.

Just seems like a far fetched scenario.

Well the rumor floating around the net is that they will sign Asante and then trade Lito to the Cardinals for Fitzgerald. The rumored contract to Asante is 5 year 55 million with 22 guaranteed. Makes sense at first but Fitzgerald is due to make 16 million this year. Asante is only an upgrade over Lito because he doesn't have the injury concerns. This means the Eagles would be paying out a third of their entire salary cap to two players. Plus Fitzgerald is on the final year of his contract. The only way I see this happening is if Fitzgerald negotiates a new contract with Philly or renegotiates his old deal, something he refused to do for Arizona.

Just seems like a far fetched scenario.
That seems absurd on a number of counts.

But so does the Eagles signing Asante period so :shrug:

Fitz ain't gonna renegotiate his contract if he's due 16million this year. At least I doubt it. I wouldn't. That # is poison for a trade.

I've seen Eagles boards saying that the Pats are really after Lito :dunno:

That actually makes the most sense for Philly. If the Eagles are going to turn around and ship Lito off, they'll want to do it to the AFC, not to Arizona or to us. Some combination maybe in play to allow the Eagles to move up to #7 as part of all of this for that matter.

All of that established, that doesn't make sense for the Patriots. Lito is sure to want a contract in the neighborhood of Samuel. Why would New England let Samuel walk, then turn around and trade a lot for Lito and give him a similiar deal?

:covri: none of this makes sense to me.

I am thoroughly confused. :shrug:

Is it really plausible that a team would sign a guy to a $100million contract on the basis that they are trading for another massive contract? Signing Asante would just set off a row of dominos for them I guess. This sounds too much like a Madden transaction.

I wouldn't either. Fitzgerald is going to get half of a full contract's guaranteed money this year, then he will be able to enter free agency next season. You can't pass that up at his age, it would simply be stupid.

The trade doesn't add up and I'm not buying it. The Eagles paying almost 10 million more for Samuel than Lito is stupidity. I don't know why the Pats would be interested in Lito because he would be able to sign a deal almost as big as Asante. Why not just keep Samuel who already knows the system?

I don't think Philly signs Asante. I don't think Tampa pays that much for a corner in a cover 2 system.

I still think we have a shot at him but I think the Giants or some other team off the radar will show up in the mix somewhere.

I also don't get why they would break the bank on Samuel when they already have Lito and a pretty good secondary. Don't get it.

Rumor is they are going to try to package Lito in a trade to Arizona for Fitzgerald.

Lito is a very good CB with a very attractive contract - if Samuel signs a big deal, Lito becomes more valuable in a trade.

We'll see what actually happens.

I would trade for Lito quick he is exactly the CB we need and the last one on the market.

So why would we trade you Lito for a 2nd rounder if no 2nd rounder would have his impact?

If we're going to trade Lito for a draft pick, we'd send him with our first rounder to move up to the top 10 somewhere (like New England, for example).

Assante Samuel to Eagles? [MERGED]

Once again, courtesy of the rumor mill over at PFT:

"The Philadelphia Eagles have announced that cornerback Asante Samuel will visit the team on Friday. He will be made available to the media at 4:30 p.m. EST.
Meanwhile, there are rumors that Samuel's deal is done, and that he'll sign it after he passes a physical.
Stay tuned. Until the contract is signed, someone else can step to the plate with more money, and Samuel can choose to take it."

Not sure if I believe it, but why else would he be addressing the media on the first day of free agency at the Eagles HQ if nothing important happened???

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom