Assuming Tayson is the future QB (1 Viewer)

I like Hill but I just don't see how he can be a better QB than he is a joker. He seems very run-first and not very accurate when he does throw. I just think there's more production lost than gained by making Hill the full-time QB. He covered a lot of holes on offense by playing different positions and even at his current contract number, that kind of insurance is worth more to have than not. He's played himself well out of just being a QB.

On the other hand, I have a feeling he'll be real salty if he doesn't get a chance to play QB1 as he's already threatened to leave if the Saints don't see him as one. Allowing him to try buys the Saints some good will and if he fails there's a slightly better chance he'll be ok going back to the joker role for the good of the team.

Last edited:
Just to put this out there due to talk of Winston's supposed unrivaled rocket arm and elite prowess on the field, he was recently voted into top 10 worst deep ball QB's in the league

Yeah but after reading the breakdown on the article you posted. His problems appear to be correctable. Especially since most of his numbers were tops in the league when throwing the deep ball.

Winston was both great and terrible on throws requiring a deep ball (seam, go, fade, post, etc,) with 164 attempts, 76 completions, 1,859 yards, 1,464 air yards, and 19 touchdowns. All of those totals led the league last year. Unfortunately, Winston's nine interceptions on such passes also tied for second-worst in the league with Philip Rivers

I like Hill but I just don't see how he can be a better QB than he is a joker. He seems very run-first and not very accurate when he does throw. I just think there's more production lost than gained by making Hill the full-time QB. He covered a lot of holes on offense by playing different positions and even at his current contract number, that kind of insurance is worth more to have than not. He's played himself well out of just being a QB.I

On the other hand, I have a feeling he'll be real salty if he doesn't get a chance to play QB1 as he's already threatened to leave if the Saints don't see him as one. Allowing him to try buys the Saints some good will and if he fails there's a slightly better chance he'll be ok going bad to the joker role for the good of the team.

I agree with this and I have a feeling that us bringing on the kid from Mississippi St who is similar to Hill is a way for us to be able to not really miss a whole lot if Hill does get beat out.

I believe Jameis thinks he can unseat T Hill...I also believe T Hill will give it all he has to make outstanding plays to move the chains and live out his dream to be a starting QB in this league...so let the competition begin

This! Competition only and always makes players better. I always loved the fact we had a decent back-up behind Archie in Bobby Scott.

Yeah but after reading the breakdown on the article you posted. His problems appear to be correctable. Especially since most of his numbers were tops in the league when throwing the deep ball.
Possibly..I mean maybe to cut down with the number of deep balls, as 164 attempts makes me think he was playing from behind a lot, trying to make big plays to get back into the game..but of course that will often lead to mistakes as the defense is now expecting it and makes adjustments

Possibly..I mean maybe to cut down with the number of deep balls, as 164 attempts makes me think he was playing from behind a lot, trying to make big plays to get back into the game..but of course that will often lead to mistakes as the defense is now expecting it and makes adjustments

Great points!

I agree with this and I have a feeling that us bringing on the kid from Mississippi St who is similar to Hill is a way for us to be able to not really miss a whole lot if Hill does get beat out.
Yup. Not to mention Sanders and the rookie TE we got from the draft. Hill had a niche that he could've thrived in for the remainder of his career here, possibly. The saints have tried to fixed some of those weak spots. The pressure is on for Hill. I hope he's as good of a QB1 as he believes he is as he's become just a tad bit more expendable.

If Hill is the future, which I'm not sold on, we will need an offense designed to limit the number of decisions he has to make. We might run a similar system, but the plays would be designed with one, maybe two reads then a run/bailout. Hill isn't a Drew Brees style make-progressions pocket passer. The offense won't look the same.

"Second string" QB Taysom Hill has intangibles..you can't teach that, but you can develop that into a dangerous play maker..even if just a game manager at first. Brilliant offensive mastermind Sean Payton, mentor in Drew Brees, real time game experience in the huddle with Brees, playing every skill position = a new level of understanding the game = potential success in this league
"Potential" is the key word. Yes, I'm a Taysom skectic but what OC has fundamentally changed their offense? I know coach has borrowed plays/concepts from other coaches but what NFL coach has changed their system?

If Hill is the future, which I'm not sold on, we will need an offense designed to limit the number of decisions he has to make. We might run a similar system, but the plays would be designed with one, maybe two reads then a run/bailout. Hill isn't a Drew Brees style make-progressions pocket passer. The offense won't look the same.

Yep he’s not accurate at all and doesn’t allow plays to develop long enough to make throws before bailing out.

Not really, Arians is known for FORCING his QB to take deep shots if he thinks it's there.

I love Taysom and think he can have a big future with the Saints, but all of this public talk out of Payton makes me feel like there’s some puffing going on. Maybe a touch of a smokescreen to mask future negotiations and transactions? It’s just so hard to see Payton restructuring his entire offense for a 31 or 32-year-old player with an extremely limited passing sample size

Jay Glazer said that Hill is Payton's guy and you can take anything he says to the bank so I disagree that it's a smokescreen. Also, I think Hill is 29.

But he just got a 6'5" laser rocket arm, former overall #1, Heisman trophy winner with a national championship in Jameis Winston who agreed to play here for dirt in order to be here.

If anything, the Taysom bet has been well-hedged and as much as I love the excitement Taysom hill brings, I can't help, but to believe JW is the next QB.

Just imagine Payton and his system/creativity with a prototypical QB and the current weapons. It might not be as spectacular as Brees has been, but then again it could be better with someone who can push the ball downfield with ease.
That is exactly my point! I honestly believe that the post Brees plan was to take advantage of the plethora of mobile QBs that can be had late in the first round of the draft and afterwards and rely on Payton’s creativity to make up for whatever a particular QBs weakness was.

And then a lightningbolt of luck and dominoes started to fall and a #1 overall pick QB falls in hIs lap and he has a full year to decide what he wants to do, all while having Brees still go after another Super Bowl.

The 9’ers went from Montana to Young, the Packers from Favre to Rodgers, the Colts from Manning to Luck. Could the Saints go from Brees to Winston?

And does Winston realize that 10+ years at the helm of a Sean Payton offense virtually guarantees him a shot at Canton?

That is exactly my point! I honestly believe that the post Brees plan was to take advantage of the plethora of mobile QBs that can be had late in the first round of the draft and afterwards and rely on Payton’s creativity to make up for whatever a particular QBs weakness was.

And then a lightningbolt of luck and dominoes started to fall and a #1 overall pick QB falls in hIs lap and he has a full year to decide what he wants to do, all while having Brees still go after another Super Bowl.

The 9’ers went from Montana to Young, the Packers from Favre to Rodgers, the Colts from Manning to Luck. Could the Saints go from Brees to Winston?

And does Winston realize that 10+ years at the helm of a Sean Payton offense virtually guarantees him a shot at Canton?

Luck retired so you can't count him as an example.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom