Assuming Tayson is the future QB (1 Viewer)

If he's sticking with a conventional offense, then Winston (assuming he can/does lose the bad decision/interception-heavy part of his game) is the far better option, and I don't really see why he would run it if Taysom is 'the guy'. If he's planning a mixed approach or read-option approach, then Taysom (or even a draft pick) may be the guy. As it stands, I feel like Winston has the edge over Taysom simply because of age and pedigree, but he has to prove it on the field - as does Taysom.

It'll be a fun battle to watch when the time comes, though.

The better QB is Winston as was Bridgewater last year. Taysom is a prospect at QB and was rewarded for his play as a skill position player but he's not the talent at the position that Winston is and why he was brought in as competition for what soon to be a Brees less QB room so Payton needs more talent at the position.

Say what you will about Winston but you cannot argue the arm talent and overall ability to play the position. On a mostly mediocre team with talent Winston has been an egnima because the talent and production is there he just may of needed a change in scenery.

Winston will thrive in this offense under the tutelage of Sean Payton.

Not really, Arians is known for FORCING his QB to take deep shots if he thinks it's there.

Which is not taken into account when discussing the season Winston had, still throwing for over 5000 yrds and 30tds in a Bruce arisns offense built on taking shots a high interception rate though not ideal can be expected

Under Sean Payton and his offense you should see a more strategic approach that will benefit Winston as has Brees and Bridgewater when he took over the reigns (not T.Hill) and Winston has a lively arm and is still a premier talent at the position at 26yrs old.

Football God's keep smiling on the Saints in our search for a heir to Brees first we thought it could be Teddy then he moves on now J.Winston a former #1 overall pick falls in our laps the Saints could be like the 80's 49ers (Montana to Young) or Colts (Manning to Luck) or Packets (Farve to Rodgers) in terms of having consecutive franchise QBs and future Hall of Famers (Winston career is far from over) succeeding each other.

Possibly..I mean maybe to cut down with the number of deep balls, as 164 attempts makes me think he was playing from behind a lot, trying to make big plays to get back into the game..but of course that will often lead to mistakes as the defense is now expecting it and makes adjustments
Which is not taken into account when discussing the season Winston had, still throwing for over 5000 yrds and 30tds in a Bruce arisns offense built on taking shots a high interception rate though not ideal can be expected

Under Sean Payton and his offense you should see a more strategic approach that will benefit Winston as has Brees and Bridgewater when he took over the reigns (not T.Hill) and Winston has a lively arm and is still a premier talent at the position at 26yrs old.

Football God's keep smiling on the Saints in our search for a heir to Brees first we thought it could be Teddy then he moves on now J.Winston a former #1 overall pick falls in our laps the Saints could be like the 80's 49ers (Montana to Young) or Colts (Manning to Luck) or Packets (Farve to Rodgers) in terms of having consecutive franchise QBs and future Hall of Famers (Winston career is far from over) succeeding each other.
*new guy peeping in*

Not to mention the fact that the plays have receiver route options and that's why it looked like a lot of those interceptions were "WTF" moments, when in actually, it was the QB and WR not being in sync. Tape of Carson Palmer in the first year of Arians' system told me all that I needed to. 3 years in a row having a crazy stacked QB room. Why draft a first rounder when they are just falling into our laps? lol

*new guy fades back into the bushes*

Take this for what you wish, but a training friend of many of us told me yesterday, YEAH THE GYM IS OPEN AGAIN, something I found quite interesting that could have real legs.

"When I played High school and college ball, being a Mexican, when the coach put-in a Mexican QB, all of us Mexican brothers just seemed to raise our game a level. In no way was it a racist thing, it's simply a, "One of our boys thing." "I learned from this in coaching and it worked for me in coaching.

On pro teams, 75% or more of the players are men of color. Forget the color of the skin bit, think about it as a member of the club team. If a team had a bunch of players from OSU and that team started an OSU QB, if they respected that QB, they would play 110% for their fellow OSU brother. Bridgewater is simply a class young man and a natural-born leader. He is also a man of color. And I guarantee you his fellow men of color teammates played 110% for him, both because of his leadership and also being one of the guys of the club, the club of men of color. The Saints defense was the best since the Dome patrol when Teddy was QB and they didn't play quite as well under Brees. This is not racism. This is simply human nature."

If some fo you instantaneously default to "This is racism and we can't talk about it or we must deny it," then this is not the read for you.

However, if he is correct, which I suspect he is, if the Saints leaders learn to respect Winston, I suspect the team will play a little harder for him. This is just human nature.

Take this for what you wish, but a training friend of many of us told me yesterday, YEAH THE GYM IS OPEN AGAIN, something I found quite interesting that could have real legs.

If some fo you instantaneously default to "This is racism and we can't talk about it or we must deny it," then this is not the read for you.

However, if he is correct, which I suspect he is, if the Saints leaders learn to respect Winston, I suspect the team will play a little harder for him. This is just human nature.

I don't know if you're right or wrong, but I'll respectfully disagree. I can't imagine any scenario where I wouldn't give 100% NO MATTER WHAT. I'm a "balls to the wall, or not at all" kind of person, and it's probably a safe bet that I developed that attitude at a young age, from playing youth football.

I was an angry kid, due to strict upbringing, and was drawn to football like a moth to flame. Not only did I not get in trouble for hitting people, it was actually encouraged; and if you hit them hard enough, you got accolades for it?! So I was an enthusiastic hitter and eager learner, and a smallish white kid who was fast as hell. For the 1st five years, I had white coaches who were usually someone's dad. They basically just turned me loose and said "go get 'em". But my last year, we had a new coach....a black coach. He wasn't anyone's dad, and he was presented as a "former semi-pro" who played for the Redskins in training camp. My ears perked up....a REAL coach?! I asked if that scar on his calf muscle was from getting cleated in the pros. He responded in a serious manner, "no, gunshot wound". So he was a BAD-arse real coach?! And then he started offering individualized instruction...."lower your center of gravity and pop your man upwards through his pads"; "leverage is more important than strength"; "get your body on his inside edge"; "engage your man briefly, and let him go....he can't make the play....and then help double-team number XX"; he was instructing INDIVIDUAL players how to win their individual position battles. And his coaching WORKED....real results....Coach really knew his stuff!

I LOVED this man, and I couldn't care less what color he was. I gave him 100%, just like all my other white coaches. But if my efforts were perceived to be greater for him, based on better results, it was because of the effectiveness of his coaching. Not because of any similarities or differences in our skin tone. I can guarantee it was 100% driven by respect, and nothing felt better than hearing Coach congratulate you on a big play, or a big hit, knowing that he noticed you were employing the subtle nuances he taught you.

I'll buy the respect argument, 100%, though. You just don't want to fail someone you respect that much!

If Taysom is the starter I think we’ll have a different offense designed around him. I think that’s part of the reason we always have to have a Teddy Bridgewater or Jameis Winston backup. So we don’t have to totally change the offense if something happens to Drew.

This. Exactly this. Teddy and Winston would be able to step in and run the offense that was installed for Drew. If Taysom is the guy SP will install an offense specifically for him.

But that goes for whoever the next QB is. SP is going to build the offense around their strengths.

I hope no players like that have ever made a Payton team. A player that doesn't play 100% on every down is worthless.

This is the longest offseason ever. We are literally repeating the same arguments over and over.

I am not sure where I fall on the Winston/Hill discussion..

Winston has the POTENTIAL to be a star.. #1 overall pick... He has the tools and I think in Tampa he tried to do too much... He now has a year to learn from the GOAT QB and a near GOAT as a head coach. He now has a year to see how DB prepares. He now has a year to see how DB manages a game... Throw it away if things break down... He now has a year to be in this locker room full of leaders that will call him out if he starts to revert to old BEHAVIOR...

Hill wet's SP's ego to show he can win with a new model QB. Sitting at home I can imagine SP drawing up all sorts of formations/options for a team with playmakers like Kamara and Thomas and others. His athleticism brings a whole new dynamic. I can see SP working on him as a pure QB and can see vast improvement in that area.

If I had to choose I'd go Winston.... He is NFL ready and does have some skins on the wall.... albeit some bad skins also.

I am not sure DB hangs it up at the end of the year and that throws another dynamic into the discussion. Going to be very interesting to watch.

I can't disagree... I sort of remember some monster DE who happened to be black saying he would sort of "let up" on hitting Doug Williams who was the first star black QB. I don't think it is racism to discuss your point... or that trainer's, whoever he is, point.

People keep regurgitating and exaggerating Taysoms accuracy as a problem. Accuracy is driven by mechanics and footwork. He has adopted Brees schedule and work habits. Brees also set him up to work with Tom house,
Look how much better he looked this past preseason vs, year prior. Heck, didn't he take some of those qb competition gimmicks in camp last season.

I just need to see what Hill will look like when he actually plays with the first-team offense once the preseason starts. I am just not sure he is our guy for the future.

People keep regurgitating and exaggerating Taysoms accuracy as a problem. Accuracy is driven by mechanics and footwork. He has adopted Brees schedule and work habits. Brees also set him up to work with Tom house,
Look how much better he looked this past preseason vs, year prior. Heck, didn't he take some of those qb competition gimmicks in camp last season.
Odds are against him. The accuracy and pocket progressions are the things most athletic QBs struggle with. When the real shots start firing (not-preseason) will he be able to stay in the pocket or run like most guys with his skill set do?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom