Assuming we do not sign a FA Center, (1 Viewer)

FootballLady

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
I think that's the way we go in the draft. There are three who project to be the most NFL-ready (Erik McCoy, Garrett Bradbury, and Elgton Jenkins) and one of them is likely to be there when the Saints pick in the 2nd round. This is, of course, based upon my belief that the need at TE will be addressed in Free Agency.

I think that's the way we go in the draft. There are three who project to be the most NFL-ready (Erik McCoy, Garrett Bradbury, and Elgton Jenkins) and one of them is likely to be there when the Saints pick in the 2nd round. This is, of course, based upon my belief that the need at TE will be addressed in Free Agency.
Under Sean Payton, Saints never have drafted center that became a full time starter. I believe that they will go after the Steelers Offensive Linemen BJ Finney after the draft.

Under Sean Payton, Saints never have drafted center that became a full time starter. I believe that they will go after the Steelers Offensive Linemen BJ Finney after the draft.

That's true. They've never had to before.

A rookie center starting in this offense? Have you seen this divison DT talent... or the conference. We saw how PRIME Brees handle interior pressure before Unger got here. It wasn't pretty.

I don't miss that 2013-2014 oline. It was awful. Even 2015 had it's issues with Tim Lelito at LG and Evans being way past his prime.

I want to draft a Center, but need a starting caliber vet to push him in training camp and as a contingency plan.

I don't see the sense in waiting until after the draft. Better to address the need before the draft, so there's maximum flexibility during the draft. We need as many cost controlled players as we can to step up down the road, so if we can fill a current need, that's one more such player we can count on later that we can draft now.

I hope the Saints are interested in Finney. He fits the mold of a young guy on the upswing that should be somewhat affordable, sort of an offensive version of Mario Edwards (but who should get paid more, since there's no rotation). Seems to be an athletic fit as well.

The starter is on the roster already. We've had other guys in for unger already
I'm all for giving people like Cameron Tom a shot, but I think he's too light in the pants to just hand the job to. We need another legit option that we can count on to start.

anyone thinks we may package some picks for a straight up trade for a decent backup on some team? I really don't want our signal caller behind some rookie unless the player is some ungodly beast and there isn't one in this draft.

Finney is the best option but it would cost us our 2nd round pick to sign him, wouldn’t it?

Good Lord. That is atrocious.

I have no problems with the Saints signing guys with injury pasts; they do that often. But the price needs to account for that risk. Plus, the guy couldn't clear my grandma to open a running lane.

Ouch.

Good Lord. That is atrocious.

I have no problems with the Saints signing guys with injury pasts; they do that often. But the price needs to account for that risk. Plus, the guy couldn't clear my grandma to open a running lane.

Ouch.
I’m also typically pretty critical of many front office decisions lately from the saints but I don’t see what other option they had here. This is somewhat a move of desperation but he’s the only decent FA interior lineman available with Unger announcing his retirement. Hopefully Tom or Clapp can step up and take the spot eventually but the saints need a starter who can fill in immediately.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom