at #10, NO saints select....Talib (1 Viewer)

saintboblsu

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
The smart Management Pick at 10 would either be CB Talib or RB Mendenhall

Assumptions
-Deuce is gone
-both the DT's are off the board

There is no doubt in my mind that if we pick CB at 10, Talib will the chosen one... He fits our system better than any other in the draft and is tall, I believe will have no problem playing man coverage and is most proven for a good long term investment

If Mendenhall is still there, taking him may very well be the best move. Imagine like it was with Deuce and Reggie in 06, only maybe better. Plus, to have a duo with this much talent, both so young and locked up long term, could be more important than building our defense. It is obvious that our direction is focused on having an elite offensive and a managable defense. Last season also proved that this type of duo is necessary for our offense to flourish. I have every reason to believe Mendenhall will be a punisher.

The smart Management Pick at 10 would either be CB Talib or RB Mendenhall

Assumptions
-Deuce is gone
-both the DT's are off the board

There is no doubt in my mind that if we pick CB at 10, Talib will the chosen one... He fits our system better than any other in the draft and is tall, I believe will have no problem playing man coverage and is most proven for a good long term investment

If Mendenhall is still there, taking him may very well be the best move. Imagine like it was with Deuce and Reggie in 06, only maybe better. Plus, to have a duo with this much talent, both so young and locked up long term, could be more important than building our defense. It is obvious that our direction is focused on having an elite offensive and a managable defense. Last season also proved that this type of duo is necessary for our offense to flourish. I have every reason to believe Mendenhall will be a punisher.

wow, couldn't disagree more. if you saw Talib at the combine and in the coaches tape you'd see he had trouble flipping his hips and with long speed in the coaches tape. there's even accusations that he quit on a play against not-so-fast Jordy Nelson in the Kansas State game. Plus he lacked physicality at the point of attck throughout his career which would suggest he doesn't fit our system at all. I'm not saying he's not a talent however I am saying this would be way too big of a risk drafting him at 10. There are honestly 4 corners that fit our system better that I would pick before him. When I think about it there really 6.

DRC
McKelvin
jenkins
flowers
cason
porter

Talib is just too stiff. While he is a playmaker with great ball skills, his cover skills are questionable. I think he would be a better cover 2 corner or a FS in the league.

Talib is just too stiff. While he is a playmaker with great ball skills, his cover skills are questionable. I think he would be a better cover 2 corner or a FS in the league.

And he's gotten dogged by every analyst since the combine. A good pro day won't help him- he's a late 1st round at best.

If we had to take corner, which I hope we will, then the pick will be between Mike Jenkins and Dominique Rodgers-Cromarte. It will most likely depend on who Baltimore picks at 8, which is probably a cornerback.

wow, couldn't disagree more. if you saw Talib at the combine and in the coaches tape you'd see he had trouble flipping his hips and with long speed in the coaches tape. there's even accusations that he quit on a play against not-so-fast Jordy Nelson in the Kansas State game. Plus he lacked physicality at the point of attck throughout his career which would suggest he doesn't fit our system at all. I'm not saying he's not a talent however I am saying this would be way too big of a risk drafting him at 10. There are honestly 4 corners that fit our system better that I would pick before him. When I think about it there really 6.

DRC
McKelvin
jenkins
flowers
cason
porter
:plus-un2: ...And don't forget about the Character concerns that Payton is so adamant about staying away from.

Good points, but I think DRC is way overrated, only good showing in senior bowl should not put him ahead of Talib, imo. I thought Flowers had a bad combine, nothing to really move him up. Basically I could only see Jenkins or McKelvin, but Talib is such a big corner and seems like the most physically gifted. Everyone's dogged him and he's still close to the top for most boards. Based on real game play, Talib or Jenkins is the safest as far as becoming #1 CB talent.

Talib had a bad combine, but people always put too much emphasis on the combine. When we drafted Usama Young in the third, he didn't even get invited to the combine. It just seems like our FO doesn't count the combine for too much.

Good points, but I think DRC is way overrated, only good showing in senior bowl should not put him ahead of Talib, imo. I thought Flowers had a bad combine, nothing to really move him up. Basically I could only see Jenkins or McKelvin, but Talib is such a big corner and seems like the most physically gifted. Everyone's dogged him and he's still close to the top for most boards. Based on real game play, Talib or Jenkins is the safest as far as becoming #1 CB talent.

Talib had a bad combine, but people always put too much emphasis on the combine. When we drafted Usama Young in the third, he didn't even get invited to the combine. It just seems like our FO doesn't count the combine for too much.

He may be overrated in the sense everyone is talking about him now due to his combine #'s, but I disagree with your first sentence. DRC's been impressive throughout college, the senior bowl was just the first time he's gotten any exposure.

It's not just the 40 that people are dogging Talib for, his hips are entirely too stiff. He doesn't have the fluidity that the others do. Picking him at #10 would be a huge reach IMO. Especially if DRC or Jenkins are available.

Talib had a pretty good combine. Cromartie is 6'1 184 while Talib is 6'0 at 202. Not much of a difference to me in size. If you're talking about physically gifted, you're talking about the wrong guy.

Young didn't light up the senior bowl. He didn't look great and seemed to be overwhelmed whereas Cromartie Dominated and continued to look good at the combine.

DRC
McKelvin
jenkins
flowers
cason
porter

Talib pwned by Jordy Nelsonzzzzz:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ek0ANQ8bRfo

I agree with the OP, I think Talib has the best body of work. I don't think he looked stiff at the combine at all. He looks fliud and fast for a man his size, he had one really bad drill where his pants were falling down (I thought we were gonna get the Bryant view) and he almost tripped, and still played the ball in the air and caught it at the highest point, he didn't drop one ball. He looked fine in all the other drills and I watched every one, had the 2nd highest vertical of anyone (cromartie had the first half inch higher) He has the biggest and best actual body of work to go by. Jordy Nelson had 1 catch for 70 yds, it was a bad play. So everything goes to waste because of one play???? Also if you all watched the combine you had to have seen all the bad stuff on Cromartie from the sr. bowl pratices. Mayock showed an equal amout of good footage and bad footage from EVERYONE. But people igonre cromarties because he looks good in shorts, and Deion couldn't stop talking about him. Cromartie will be just as big a project as Talib IMO. I'd say Talib would be ready to start over Cromartie IMHO. But Cromartie looks to have the upside.

Only thing that worried me about Talib was the 10 reps, its not bad for a DB but I figured at his size he would have more than guys like Cromartie, McKelvin etc.

If the combine showed me anything, it was we have some really good corners to choose from. DRC impressed, Mckelvin impressed, Talib impressed, Jenkins impressed, Cason impressed. I think we are sitting pretty.

Talib's track record makes me want him the most, the stuff in shorts is nice and it helps with the mesurables, but as long as thier were no red flags from anyone really I fall back on the body of work, Talib has they best one. If he was more appealing on this site we would at least have the Orange bowl highlights that he won for his team this year. Only clips that ever get put up or linked is the EXACT SAME NELSON CLIP on any thread here that mentions Talib... take off the hater glasses please. It was one play, if Jordy "pwned" him where are the rest of them?? Didn't think so, Jordy BEAT him on THAT ONE play.

ONE PLAY and you dismiss his entire body of work. You know what Drew Brees used to be good, yeah until he threw that interception, now he is in the bottom echelon of QB's in the league. What ya'll sound like. If you think he is bad, fine. If you think he is slow, fine, If you think he didn't have a good college career, fine. If you hate Kansas, fine. If you just hate his name, fine. If you think there will be better guys avaible, fine. But just say it!!!! But to negate his entire body of work for one bad play you got zero clue what you are looking for because that happens to everyone from time to time. You can take bad from any situation and bring it to light, or you can look for positives like everyone does for DRC. But when we get this is why we shouldn't draft Talib and its the same Nelson clip again and again and again, give it break and go get yourself a clue. There is reason he is among the best corners this year, and talk of him going this high.... Because its warrented!!!!

Talib pwned by Jordy Nelsonzzzzz:

A lot of DB's would get owned on that play. A perfect pass to an All-Conference receiver with no safety help.

I think that there is a good chance one of the DT's will be there at 8th pick and we jump the bengals and trade with the ravens (need qb,don't need defense like the bengals and NO). Hope its Dorsey.

I agree with the OP, I think Talib has the best body of work. I don't think he looked stiff at the combine at all. He looks fliud and fast for a man his size, he had one really bad drill where his pants were falling down (I thought we were gonna get the Bryant view) and he almost tripped, and still played the ball in the air and caught it at the highest point, he didn't drop one ball. He looked fine in all the other drills and I watched every one, had the 2nd highest vertical of anyone (cromartie had the first half inch higher) He has the biggest and best actual body of work to go by. Jordy Nelson had 1 catch for 70 yds, it was a bad play. So everything goes to waste because of one play???? Also if you all watched the combine you had to have seen all the bad stuff on Cromartie from the sr. bowl pratices. Mayock showed an equal amout of good footage and bad footage from EVERYONE. But people igonre cromarties because he looks good in shorts, and Deion couldn't stop talking about him. Cromartie will be just as big a project as Talib IMO. I'd say Talib would be ready to start over Cromartie IMHO. But Cromartie looks to have the upside.

Only thing that worried me about Talib was the 10 reps, its not bad for a DB but I figured at his size he would have more than guys like Cromartie, McKelvin etc.

If the combine showed me anything, it was we have some really good corners to choose from. DRC impressed, Mckelvin impressed, Talib impressed, Jenkins impressed, Cason impressed. I think we are sitting pretty.

Talib's track record makes me want him the most, the stuff in shorts is nice and it helps with the mesurables, but as long as thier were no red flags from anyone really I fall back on the body of work, Talib has they best one. If he was more appealing on this site we would at least have the Orange bowl highlights that he won for his team this year. Only clips that ever get put up or linked is the EXACT SAME NELSON CLIP on any thread here that mentions Talib... take off the hater glasses please. It was one play, if Jordy "pwned" him where are the rest of them?? Didn't think so, Jordy BEAT him on THAT ONE play.

ONE PLAY and you dismiss his entire body of work. You know what Drew Brees used to be good, yeah until he threw that interception, now he is in the bottom echelon of QB's in the league. What ya'll sound like. If you think he is bad, fine. If you think he is slow, fine, If you think he didn't have a good college career, fine. If you hate Kansas, fine. If you just hate his name, fine. If you think there will be better guys avaible, fine. But just say it!!!! But to negate his entire body of work for one bad play you got zero clue what you are looking for because that happens to everyone from time to time. You can take bad from any situation and bring it to light, or you can look for positives like everyone does for DRC. But when we get this is why we shouldn't draft Talib and its the same Nelson clip again and again and again, give it break and go get yourself a clue. There is reason he is among the best corners this year, and talk of him going this high.... Because its warrented!!!!

Are you serious when you say he looked smooth at the combine ? Honestly he remdinded me of Michael Hawthorne.

My list is alot like the other one above:

DRC
Jenkins
McKlevin
Porter
Flowers
Cason

Then you can put in Talib...he can be in the same boat as Chevis Jackson right now. Running fast will get you by in college, but you better be smooth and have GREAT hips to play CB successfully in the NFL.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom