AT&T Fiber... I Finally have good speed (1 Viewer)

At&t fiber has been advertising in my city for what seems like a decade. Supposedly they have it here, and yet every time I check online to see if it is available, nothing. Just 5Mbps DSL for the low, low price of $55/mo lol

I made the switch last week. ive tried using their WiFi and using pass through to my nighthawk. Still not happy with upstairs reception. Considering a TP link mesh with power line backhaul. Anyone have any advice on that?

the othe thing I’m considering is running Ethernet and having the nighthawk upstairs. But I have to run It through walls or make It pretty (girlfriends house)

I made the switch last week. ive tried using their WiFi and using pass through to my nighthawk. Still not happy with upstairs reception. Considering a TP link mesh with power line backhaul. Anyone have any advice on that?

the othe thing I’m considering is running Ethernet and having the nighthawk upstairs. But I have to run It through walls or make It pretty (girlfriends house)
Same issue.
I’m using a TP LINK mesh router through the whole home modem / router combo supplied by ATT.
We’ve had it that way for a while now.
No issues, but I did notice the difference in speed between the two routers are a little bit slower with the TP LINK. However, that was just a speed test out of curiosity. No detectable differences otherwise .

Same issue.
I’m using a TP LINK mesh router through the whole home modem / router combo supplied by ATT.
We’ve had it that way for a while now.
No issues, but I did notice the difference in speed between the two routers are a little bit slower with the TP LINK. However, that was just a speed test out of curiosity. No detectable differences otherwise .
I ordered the Powerline Deco P9 today. 3 units. I did not see that you can buy single units but you can mix and match TP Link together, though it may kill some features depending on which ones you pair. I know using power lines has been around a long time but I haven’t done enough research on what backhaul etc is. Lots to learn in the next weeks I guess

The TP mesh came in last night. Super easy to setup. Fairly good coverage everywhere but I think the peak wifi speed I’ve seen is just under 200 mbps. I have yet to plug any Ethernet into the remote ones but will today. I have also not turned off the wifi on the ATT router yet so not sure if that is interfering with the channel or otherwise throttling my speed. But I don’t think there will be buffering anywhere in the house. I think it may be a pretty inexpensive stop gap until I get around to running Ethernet through all the walls. Gonna do that myself but I am going to have to make sure it looks professional unless I want to lose my “bonus”

If I am getting significantly stronger signal in the room with the primary, I’m guessing I may just need to add more units. Will test that tonight as well.

The TP mesh came in last night. Super easy to setup. Fairly good coverage everywhere but I think the peak wifi speed I’ve seen is just under 200 mbps. I have yet to plug any Ethernet into the remote ones but will today. I have also not turned off the wifi on the ATT router yet so not sure if that is interfering with the channel or otherwise throttling my speed. But I don’t think there will be buffering anywhere in the house. I think it may be a pretty inexpensive stop gap until I get around to running Ethernet through all the walls. Gonna do that myself but I am going to have to make sure it looks professional unless I want to lose my “bonus”

If I am getting significantly stronger signal in the room with the primary, I’m guessing I may just need to add more units. Will test that tonight as well.
I think you’re going to find there’s no need to go wired. At least not for a while.
That’s plenty fast enough for pretty much everything in the household.
Albeit, I’m not a gamer, so maybe I should keep quiet.

I've had crappy internet for years. early on in the Dial up days I had ISDN, which was great. But since then, I've had crappy cable internet, or crappy DSL. AT&T fiber came to town and now it’s 1000Mbps up and down. Working from home I appreciate the upload speeds. One year into it and it’s been 100% reliable so far

I sure was glad giving it the same network name allowed all previous devices to connect automatically. We have two dozen bulbs, six cameras and countless other devices attached. Now I’m eyeing a weatherproof mesh unit for the backyard and my wifi heart will be content.

next question. When a router says connect up to 60 devices, does it mean there are only that many IP addresses to give out (or other hard restrictions) or is that just based on average bandwidth consumptio?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom