At What Point Do You Consider A Player A True Saint? (1 Viewer)

At this point…

Deuce McAllister or Drew Brees.

Play your entire career here, or win us something meaningful (aka a Super Bowl)

That’s not the entire list… but since Drew, the rules have changed.

A true Saint is anyone who was a flat out beast for the Saints. Anyone who absolutely dominated the opponent! These guys are the ones I remember and wish for in the future. I wish all these type of guys could play for at least decade with the Saints but the reality of the football cap, injuries, paychecks and ego keep that dream at bay. A few squeak into the legend category and those are the dudes that make our Hall of Fame. Here's to the next generation of the BEAST!

For me, a true saint is not only part of the team, but also becomes a part of our city. One player that sticks out for me is Thomas Morstead. The guy absolutely LOVES our city and our fans. He made his home here, and is always getting involved. No matter what jersey he wears now, he’ll always be a Saint to me.

Scott Shanle has been a huge advocate for us even though he got a lot of hate from the fans. Then you have guys like Brian Milne and the Beerman.
As far as those the have made 'Legend' status, there's 3 names, Archie, Drew and Deuce.
Somewhat off subject but I think Shanle deserves an opportunity to coach on our staff. I think he'll be a great LB coach.

Cam Jordan is definitely a true Saint. He has admitted on several occasions that he wants to end his career here, and he recruits for other players to join us (although his record isn't too good lol).
Another player i'll add to that list is Keenan Lewis. Even though his time with us was short, but he grew up a fan and took less money to come here. You don't see that too often.

I was going to evoke Reggie's name. When he came here, he was already so famous and it was such a huge media splash I remember saying, Well, no matter how well he does, he'll never be beloved here. But then he came in and did a lot for the city monetary wise in the post-Katrina renew and that was impressive And then he actually struggled a bit on the field, not getting his first TD till, what, 8 games in? Oh, so the great Reggie Bush IS human and I began to look at him differently.

He obviously wasn't going to be a Beerman kind of story, but I have nothing but fond memories of Reggie here. Wish the story could have been different with like multiple SBs, but he's an important part of the overall Saints story. And, like you said, he's been advocate for the franchise having never burned the bridges. And now I have only one more thing to say ... GIVE HIM HIS DANG HEISMAN BACK.
I have always believed that Reggies biggest problem was the pressure put on him by the Media and fans. He was billed as the next Gayle Sayers and he let that expectation get to him and he pressed to hard to make that happen instead of letting the game come to him. About midway in the 2006 season there was in interview shown before a Sunday night game with him and Gayle Sanders sitting side beside with Costas interviewing them. Sanders actually warned Reggie not to buy into the hype to be him but to be his own player. However, the pressure was just too much and you could see it getting to him though there were flashes of his skill like the 2007 game against the Vikings when he scored 2 punt return TD's.

Once they leave, they don’t sign with Atlanta…Bobby I’m talking to you you dirty traitor
I think Bobby has paid his debt though. Especially when he did the dress parade in Buddy D's honor.

Agreed. While the OP's metric of tenure is helpful especially for guys like John Hill or Derland Moore or Tom Myers or Joe Federspiel or Henry Childs who toiled away on poop teams, I think you also should include guys who helped the team win significant games. So, yes, Aaron Brooks qualifies for me (he won us our first playoff game with a 4 TD 1 INT performance despite his two best offensive weapons being hurt, and this is more than Bobby ever accomplished here despite 3 home playoff games to try it), so do Willie Jackson and Brian Milne for their contributions in that game (Jackson's 3-TD effort does not get talked about nearly enough).

And in the Super Bowl year, Hartley and Porter definitely get included despite not having particularly long careers here. I'll even say Shockey b/c he scored the go-ahead TD in the 4th quarter of our only championship.
In no way does Shockey get that honor. He left and signed with the Panthers, then made it a point to dis-respect Payton and thus the team.

2023-03-26 22.42.31.png

i never got to choose saints players, and i also understand how difficult it is to make an active nfl roster

if one's name is listed on the site above that's good enough for me

richard todd is the opposite end of my b&g spectrum from drew brees, but imo they're both "true saints"

This sort of thing was true in the old days before free agency, now players freely move too much for it to be much of a thing...

Along with long tenure, I’d add

-Successful individual Saints career (consistently top 10 at position or multi All-Pros/Pro Bowls)
-Recognized team leader as a Saint
-Memorable plays and significant role in winning significant # of games/playoffs
-Heavy fan favorite in the community
-Players that remain involved in Saints media or community after their careers

All of those describes Willie Roaf, Drew Brees, Marques Colston, Cam Jordan, Demario Davis, and the Dome Patrol members, also Lance Moore and Reggie Bush in different ways. There’s other players from the Mora, Haslett, and Payton teams that would fit those too.
Jahri Evans.

Scott Shanle has been a huge advocate for us even though he got a lot of hate from the fans. Then you have guys like Brian Milne and the Beerman.
As far as those the have made 'Legend' status, there's 3 names, Archie, Drew and Deuce.
People need to put some respect on The Shanle's name! His only problem was speed. He always seemed to make the right decision.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom