At What Point Do You Consider A Player A True Saint? (1 Viewer)

In no way does Shockey get that honor. He left and signed with the Panthers, then made it a point to dis-respect Payton and thus the team.
By that standard, Mills doesn't get the honor either b/c he left for the Panthers and also had hard feelings about the Saints' organization that he wasn't shy about voicing. And in my book, all of the Dome Patrol is on it. Morstead played for the Falcons. So did Joe Horn. I'm counting them too.

Scoring the go-ahead TD in the 4th quarter of the Super Bowl is easily one of the most important plays in team history, so yeah, Shockey gets it for me. I don't care if he spent the rest of his time as a Saint sitting on the bench picking his nose or if he has a problem with Sean Payton. Also, the Saints released Shockey. If the team cuts you or declines to offer you a contract, I'm not getting mad if you sign elsewhere. While we're at it regarding "disrespect", Payton's a legend for me, but you could definitely argue he disrespected the team and the fans by quitting on his contract.

Last edited:
Scott Shanle has been a huge advocate for us even though he got a lot of hate from the fans. Then you have guys like Brian Milne and the Beerman.
As far as those the have made 'Legend' status, there's 3 names, Archie, Drew and Deuce.
Shanle was horrid in coverage but nobody could ever take his spot. He became goated when he said GW was the mole for bounty gate

And he was dominating in that road Eagles playoff victory in 2013, but he got injured and you could see how mad he was that they wouldn't let him back in. Once he left, the Eagles started to make things happen.
I remember being nervous leading up to that game. At that point we never won a road playoff game, and it was going to be outdoors in the cold. Not to mention that Chip Kelly had a red hot offense.
During the pregame, Keenan came out and warmed up with no shirt on. I believe he helped set the tone.

I was scrolling and surprised that Drew’s name didn’t come up first. He is just an amazing man PERIOD! He embodied every facet of being a true Saint!

True Saints share a pivotal moment or many moments in the lore of Saints team history that you in sharing your Saints story with your buddy do not want to tell the story without. The 2009 Superbowl journey created many. A certain safety on that team made many pivotal plays but no one wants to tell the story with that jerk. But Chris Reis became a true Saint with one fumble recovery on an onside kick that year, just like Brian Milne in our first ever playoff win.

Sure you can go into who did that player play for before he came to New Orleans or after, but the story element is the test for me, not who are the best players but who is part of that story and to a degree also demonstrates love for the city during or after his tenure in New Orleans.

Zack Streif's Port Orleans and radio call and joining the Saints staff fit this kind of credentials. Players like Reggie Bush or Jonathan Vilma who played for other teams but always speak positively and rep New Orleans in their broadcast careers add to this. Players like Michael Lewis as a local hero and all pro special teamer and Saints PR abassador qualify. Any LSU/Saints great like Dalton Hillard, Eric Martin, or Devery Henderson fill part of the contingent. Lance Moore's two point convesion and local broadcast contributions. Steve Gleason is the ultimate example of changing this planet and maybe the most unforgettable moment ever for any player in any franchise in a week 3 regular season game.

Of course you have our hall of famers and future hall of famers (Rickey Jackson, Drew Brees, Willie Roaf, Sam Mills, Morten Andersen, Pat Swilling, Jahri Evans), but the true Saint for me is about the lesser knowns and those who claim the Saints who did not have to claim us. We are an underdog city void of fortune 500 companies or polish of other cities. Players who get us and appear to choose us go a long way in the true Saint category.

For me, a true saint is not only part of the team, but also becomes a part of our city. One player that sticks out for me is Thomas Morstead. The guy absolutely LOVES our city and our fans. He made his home here, and is always getting involved. No matter what jersey he wears now, he’ll always be a Saint to me.
TM will always be a hero in my book!

Here's a thread I started when my then 1.5 yr old cousin was in Children's Hospital when TM came by for a visit: https://saintsreport.com/threads/th...hton-at-no-childrens-hospital-tuesday.335873/

UPDATE: Ashton is now 10 years old and going to school (mostly) fulltime. (His disease and medications wear him down at times!)

He's more or less "like a typical 10 year old boy" and is often horsing around in the yard with his younger cousin.

(I live across the street from them and every now & then, I take him on a short motorcycle ride in the area (This is at Chicot State Park from Feb 2022):

1679945936117.png

is darren sharper a "true saint" to any of you?

he certainly played his butt off in 2009 and his personal life is not mine to judge

is darren sharper a "true saint" to any of you?

he certainly played his butt off in 2009 and his personal life is not mine to judge
He did set some records while here:

NFL records
  • Most interception return yards in a season: 376 (2009)
  • Most seasons leading league in interception return yards: 3 (2002, 2005, 2009)
And this:

what about tracy porter? he only spent four years with the saints but is responsible for arguably the two biggest plays in team history...

surely a "true saint", yes?

Not just a great player and one that is a team leader and a team player a young player can look up to. Plus a character guy very much.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom