Athlete who has meant more to a franchise than Drew? (1 Viewer)

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Michael Jordan is the one that most jumps to mind - he almost singlehandedly turned the Bulls into world beaters and they haven’t been much since

Not sure what the Reds were like before Pete Rose, but he might be in the convo
Tim Duncan?
Wayne Gretzky? (I know little of NHL)

Who else?

You could argue that it’s much easier to do in basketball because 1 guy is one fifth of the guys on court st any one time. So you take a guy #1 overall, there is a good chance he is going to put your team on the map or in the conversation. But isn’t it true that the guy chosen number two could have a similar impact and so likely would have done, at least in part, the same for your team.

Much more difficult in football and mostly can only be done from the QB position. There are of course RBs who do it and then the ultra rare LTs and Reggie Whites of the world.

But the arguement could certainly be made that no one ever has had a larger impact than Drew.

only player, other than drew, that comes to mind is barry sanders.

When I think too hard about what Drew has meant to the Saints and New Orleans it makes my eyes a bit moist. Even if I weren't such a huge Saints fan I think I could see the argument for Drew being the most important athlete for any franchise ever. As a Saints fan, I can't even contemplate someone else being a bigger contributor to their team's city/franchise.

Tom Brady is a pretty big deal to diehard Pats fans though, I'll submit that.

It’s not just Drew’s play on the field it’s all the behind the scenes stuff for both Drew and the team

For Drew it’s Phillip Rivers being drafted, the potentially career ending injury, the dolphins passing on him

For the team it was the decades of futility, the paper bags, the aints, for the longest time being the only team to never win a playoff game

And of course Katrina

So both player and team redeem themselves and are reborn and reach heights that no one ever expected

Stories matter and Saints and Brees’ story is hard to beat

Interesting question. Not sure how it would qualify....if it does at all....but it's tough to beat what Tiger Woods did to golf when he came on the scene. Took it mainstream and opened that world to alot of people. Not sure if that's the same thing though. Jordan probably would be my vote in team sports.

John Wooden and UCLA (coach, I know)

When Wayne Gretzky was traded away from Edmonton to Los Angeles, Canada - and hockey fans everywhere - were in complete shock. What would happen years later, changed the sport and the league forever.

The Kings were a so-so franchise; Gretzky managed to get L.A. to the Stanley Cup Finals. Although they didn't win, the team was competitive. And popular, trendy. How do you think Anaheim managed a franchise? And don't forget Disney's "The Mighty Ducks." That never would have happened without #99 moving south of the border.

Gretzky is generally credited for the NHL moving into non-traditional U.S. hockey markets (Anaheim, San Jose) and later on other locations that have no natural connection with the game (Florida, Carolina, Nashville). So that's a player legacy that goes beyond one team or his/her market. The trade changed the sport and the league!

(A terrible trade for Edmonton; a great deal for hockey across the continent!)

Also Pele (the soccer player) seems like a pretty big deal. I know he's a big deal because I don't follow soccer at all and I still know of Pele.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom