Athlete who has meant more to a franchise than Drew? (2 Viewers)

Really tried to think of a soccer player who could fit this and got nothing (I have very little pre 90s knowledge of players w/ franchises), but if I was absolutely pressed I’d go Vardy just for putting Leicester on the map
Mia Hamm for uswnt?
soccer just doesn’t lend itself to this idea

I think it'd have to be a goalie or midfielder, not a goal scorer.

mucho respect for tim duncan. he replaced one the best players of all time, though not best center, though close. david robinson was a very, at the time drafed almost perfect.

after his navy obligations, he came out like a baller, literally, and was the best all-round center on the days of (no order at all, equally great) olajuwon, shaq, jabar, parrish, I don't care about the others.

tim duncan took that torch and lit the entire league on fire.

love both players. and rodman.

Yeah, as beloved and important as Duncan is to the Spurs, the Spurs were a successful organization for years and years before him and already had a beloved franchise MVP-caliber player in Robinson before Duncan came around. I don't think I'd put Duncan in the same level of "importance" to his team as Brees.

I'd say Brady, Jordan, LeBron are the obvious ones that have the same level of importance to their team/city as Drew. LeBron is easily #1 all-time given that he's from Cleveland (Akron) and what he's done for the city. Everyone else is playing for 2nd. I don't follow baseball or European sports like soccer so I can't say much on those.

I can tell you who means more and that list is small.

Jackie Robinson for sure.

I don't know who else

John Elway should mean a lot to Denver.

Brought the Broncos to relevancy, won two Super Bowls as their QB, and then helped them win another Super Bowl in the front office.

He catches a lot of flack now because he hasn't been able to find a QB post Peyton, but Elway's importance to that franchise cannot be overstated.

John Elway should mean a lot to Denver.

Brought the Broncos to relevancy, won two Super Bowls as their QB, and then helped them win another Super Bowl in the front office.

He catches a lot of flack now because he hasn't been able to find a QB post Peyton, but Elway's importance to that franchise cannot be overstated.
Elway still means a lot in Denver. He’s gone to a Ditka level there. He won as QB and as an executive later on.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom